The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old April 2, 2012, 11:39 PM   #1
UNREAL HENRY

NY handgun law question

Hello,

I am a CT CCW permit holder wondering if its legal to bring my handguns to my summer home in upstate NY? My local pistol instructor said its OK to bring my own guns on to my own property but i thought I'd double check.

Thanks so much for any help!

-Henry
Old April 3, 2012, 12:52 AM   #2
gunsmokeTPF

Sorry, but your local instructor is mistaken. It's unfortunate, NY has no reciprocity with any other state. They just plain stink. Even upper NYS and Long Island license holders can't bring their guns into NYC, but NYC residents with their licenses are recognized in the rest of the state.

Someone should have the guts to take away the right of NYC residents from stepping one foot outside the city with their weapons. I think things may very well change, but it hasn't been attempted. Police Officers and retired police officers, which I am fortunately one of may carry everywhere.

It really stinks how superior this state regards itself.
Old April 3, 2012, 05:59 AM   #3
Musketeer

Absolutely DO NOT bring your handguns to NY unless you have a NY permit and they are listed on that permit.

Since NY does not issue out of state permits that means there is no way to bring your handguns to NY.

"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin
Old April 3, 2012, 07:00 AM   #4
Uncle Billy

If you own your summer home in New York, that might make you eligible for a NY permit. Ask the pistol permit office in the county where your summer place is.
Old April 3, 2012, 01:14 PM   #5
gunsmokeTPF

There are certain exceptions to the rule where celebrities and upper class are concerned. There are those non residents that are granted permits. NYS has published a data base with the list of names of all who have been granted a pistol permit in the entire state. It reads like a list of who's who that includes some of the most elitist anti gun people you could imagine. They even list their address and at times what bank holds their mortgage.

[Check out the website www.whospackingny.com and see for yourself. By the way NY does not allow you to possess full auto class 3 weapons, though even in that case involving a chosen few they have, but I don't know of any list. -- Link doesn't work and apparently the site was taken down about a year ago.]

Last edited by Frank Ettin; April 3, 2012 at 01:53 PM.
Old April 3, 2012, 01:55 PM   #6
UNREAL HENRY

Thanks for the replies guys.

If its possible to get an out of state permit I will surely get one. I don't even want to carry my guns... I just want to be able to plink on my farm!
Old April 5, 2012, 06:05 AM   #7
Musketeer

You can try but the first requirement for a NY permit is to be a NY Resident. That is for normal folk.

Old April 5, 2012, 12:49 PM   #8
hermannr

Do not bring any gun into NY state (assuming you will stay for awhile) unless you have a NY state permit to POSSESS a handgun.

You cannot even handle a handgun in NY without a permit (unless you are participating in a NRA sanctioned compitition).

Can you get a permit to Possess anywhere in the state, or even a permit to carry off your own property if you get a permit to possess? In NY, becasue of you have a "residence" there? Strictly depends on the Judge in your county of "residence". The Judge has total discression.
Old April 6, 2012, 03:28 PM   #9
Musketeer

What Hermannr said. On Long Island you MUST be a resident of the county you are applying in. Judges upstate do as they please but it is still uphill.

Old April 6, 2012, 04:00 PM   #10
gunsmokeTPF

It all comes down to simply this. Before entering the borders of NYS just picture in your mind's eye posted signs stating "Danger, Entering Mine Field". It's as clear as that. Upstate is the least restrictive where handguns are concerned. NYC is a black hole. Never guess where gun laws are concerned. Speak to an attorney for correct advice and that's the end of the story.
Old April 6, 2012, 06:27 PM   #11
Don P

Granted we have many a knowledgeable member here, but asking for legal advice about possibly committing a felony here. Sorry I think not. Like asking if you I can run that red light, yep as long as you don't get caught
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old April 9, 2012, 11:58 AM   #12
Musketeer

As Don P said. Do NOT bring a handgun to NY if it is not on you NY permit (yes, every handgun must be listed on the permit here.). Follow that rule always.

Old April 11, 2012, 12:20 AM   #13
Nickel Plated

Quote:
Someone should have the guts to take away the right of NYC residents from stepping one foot outside the city with their weapons. I think things may very well change, but it hasn't been attempted. Police Officers and retired police officers, which I am fortunately one of may carry everywhere.
Yes very nice, punish your fellow gun owners for what their government does. That's how we solve problems. IDK if you realise, but as far as the NYC police and government are concerned, they'd rather you not have a gun at all if they can help it. So I seriously doubt they would care if NYC gun owners are being punished and harrased in other places, they won't stand up for us. Serves us dirty gun-nuts right.