The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 13, 2011, 11:38 AM   #1
Fusion

Best scope covers to use in a hunting situation?

I'm looking for some quality scope covers to use on my SWFA SS 3-9x42 that's on my hunting rig. I currently have Butler Creek flip up caps on it that just aren't working for me. I love the look, feel, and style of them. The problem is they don't last for me. I broke the eye piece one right before the season started and after much arguing with Bushnell, I got them to replace it. I didn't have the receipt so they didn't want to replace it.

Anyway, I've been hunting for about 2 weeks with them, and sure enough, the new eye piece one broke again. The hinge breaks apart from the cap part. Then last Saturday while climbing into a stand with the objective cover up, the cover bumped the rail on the stand, not hard I should mention, and sure enough it cracked too. I've got some older sets of these Butler Creek covers I love and they seem to hold up, but these recent ones are junk, and I don't want to replace them every 2 weeks.

Are there any better tougher options out there that will hold up? I hate to run it without scope covers. I've tried it, and I end up getting my lens super dirty and have even had branches and what not scratch them on other scopes in the past.
Old December 13, 2011, 12:00 PM   #2
Carne Frio

Have you tried the scope covers? They come of
quicker than flipping two scope lens covers.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/290...r-bikini-style
Old December 13, 2011, 04:17 PM   #3
taylorce1

Go to your local tire store and by an innertube. Cut them into bands wide enough to cover you objective lense and eye piece. They are cheap, weather proof and stay on, plus if you loose one you go make another. You can tie them onto your rifle with a piece of string looped around your forearm. They aren't the prettiest but they work.