The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 17, 2011, 09:55 PM   #1
headlesscashew

Win for shooters

I've been shooting for years, but as I have figured out nobody knows everything. I have a female friend that absolutely despises firearms, however, over the weekend, when talking about disaster preparedness, she came to the conclusion that she should still learn how to safely and properly operate different types of firearms. Win for us! I am going to sit her and her husband down and walk them both through safety and proper operation of different types of firearms and then take them to the range and let them have some fun. I am looking for any tips to help with safety, comfort or anything anyone can come up with. I am going to use all .22: bolt and semi auto rifles and revolver and semi auto pistols. I know the basics and then some was a certified instructor in a life past and haven't talked about safety with anyone in a while, just looking to get some help brushing up and any good pointers.

Thank you in advance,
JT
Old July 17, 2011, 10:33 PM   #2
oldkim

KISS

Keep it Simple....

Don't overload them with their first time out. Stick to 1-2 primary for each (rifle, pistol, shotgun). When you get into too many types it confuses the newer shooters and may even "turn off" some shooters. You have to judge...

Start off with the most simple to operate and easy to shoot.

I see it in the next few months... as "disaster" comes to minds of all those watching TV... more folks will want to get "experience" with firearms. So I do agree that this will bring in those that have been "hard liners" in the past.

As for tips: figure out how they learn (verbal, visual, by example and hands on or a mixture of all the above).

Ask what their needs are and expectations are... It's amazing to find out what some folks think about guns... what guns "can do" and what they really can do...

Also I try to be very honest with folks in projecting a "budget" I usually tell folks to budget around $1500 for a new gun. This includes the gun, a case or two of ammo and holster and/or case and cleaning supplies and a safe or locks of some kind.

Check out my new website: www.shootonthemove.org
Old July 17, 2011, 10:40 PM   #3
pax

JT ~

Awesome! Good for her -- and good for you for helping her reach that point.

You can find my advice for taking a newbie to the range here: http://corneredcat.com/Teaching/newshooter.aspx

pax,

Kathy
Old July 18, 2011, 12:06 AM   #4
JustThisGuy

Regarding safety, I would just stick to the Four Rules, for the reasons given above (KISS).

Too many people have trouble even with just those simple rules.

Mediocrity dominates over excellence in all things... except excellence.
Old July 18, 2011, 02:48 AM   #5
littlmak

It may also help if you use bullseye targets instead of those showing people or shadow outlines. They may be ready to learn about guns but not ready to fire at a human type target.
Old July 18, 2011, 03:19 AM   #6
Crazy88Fingers

Bullseye targets are better for new shooters anyway since they give the shooters a specific point to aim at, instead of just "center mass". It's also easier to judge just how accurately you're shooting.

Aside from the KISS advice, I'd print up two little cards with the four rules on them so they have something to hold onto and refresh their memory.

Last edited by Crazy88Fingers; July 18, 2011 at 03:31 AM.
Old July 18, 2011, 09:05 AM   #7
jrothWA

K.I.S.S., is proper..

and concentrate of one firearm at a session or as they progress.

Suggest using clay target on an inclined piece of cardboard, then they get positive results.

Information overload it to be avoided.

Nice going and good luck!
Old July 18, 2011, 09:13 AM   #8
insolentshrew

I would probably plan on 2-3 range sessions. If you want to do 2, long guns - pick maybe a bolt action 22, a semi auto, and a pump action shotgun. Then pick out a few semi auto's to go over, and a da/sa revolver. I would concentrate on "should they need to operate a gun, what are they most likely to encounter?" If you really wanted and they are commited, you could probably do 2 different range sessions just for handguns. First one being a basics, just getting used to them/safety and shooting. Then on the second get a little more specific. Look at striker fired vs hammer fired, get into da vs sa vs dak/dao, go into the features in more detail of said firearms (single stack/double stack, manual safety vs none, decocking levers, mag release positions on various handguns, etc.)

As others have said, start off simple - but I would say let them decide how advanced they want to go with it. If they are having fun, chances are you have quite a few range sessions ahead of you with some new shooting friends.