The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 10, 2009, 08:24 AM   #1
tpcollins

Record keeping - which form is best?

Is there one form for keeping reloading data that's better than the rest? I've only reloaded 20 cartidges so far to verify my loads and I kept data as follows: date, trimmed case length, bullet, powder and grains, primer, ogive to base, OAL - and I have the target saved from a 5 shot group once my scope was sighted in.

Just wondering if there's a good download available or would a simple 5"x7" spiral notebook suffice? Thanks.
Old March 10, 2009, 08:48 AM   #2
Teuthis

I would just use a notebook, so you can write in any information pertinant to the loads. I also label every box of ammo that I load with the date, powder, charge, primer, bullet and case status information. I use small, adhesive mailing labels.
Old March 10, 2009, 09:42 AM   #3
Sevens

I went through 3 stages of record keeping myself.

There was the first 2 years where I scribbled things on a notepad and lost them or otherwise had no idea exactly what they referenced or how they performed. This was time wasted. Well, not completely wasted... it was fun and I learned how to get started at the bench and I learned the importance of keeping records.

Phase two was a neat notebook in a 3-ring binder where I could add or remove pages as necessary. This was much better, but I yearned for more.

Phase now is an MS-Excel spreadsheet, and remembering to keep back-ups of all of my work. I have a page for each caliber, a page with a simple day by day log and another page with $$$ concerns, keeping track of what I bought, when, and how much it cost me, where I got it, etc. The $$$ is very helpful because I can keep a much better track on what's a good deal, what's only an average deal, and I can see trends on costs.

On the daily log page, I list every single load session that results in loaded ammo. Here I can add notes such as the adjustment of my dies, particular techniques or quirks at the bench or whatever. This page is great for looking back and seeing when I last used a particular combo. I think, "I know I tried Power Pistol with some 115gr JHP's, when was that, and how did they shoot?" I can glance back and find it quickly.

On each caliber page, there are three basic headings. Up top are the loads I've made and this info includes bullet mfr, style, weight and composition. Then the powder type and charge, then the COAL. I don't keep brass length as I never trim handgun brass and I trim rifle brass to a set length. I do keep tabs on COAL of loaded rounds. I only make a notation on primer if I've used a different one -- I typically use CCI non-Mag in all my loads. I don't keep notes on brass headstamp unless it's specifically relevant. I keep notes on die adjustment if any, quirks in loading, and the source of my data or how I came up with the load. If I have a listed velocity or chamber pressure, I list that. I also list published MAX loads to have a quick visual that I'm in good territory with my load.

There's a notation on the performance of the load with each entry. If it was not a good load for whatever reason -- erratic, too hot/signs of pressure, inaccurate, whatever, I list that also. In some cases, I will use strike-through text on the bullet and powder info to let me know boldly that it's a load I tried and should not try again. VERY important to keep the loads that were bad so you don't make the same mistake twice.

In the second heading on each caliber page are a few loads that I would like to try, but haven't yet. I simply cut & paste and move them to the first heading when I have tried them. This section is typically small.

The last section is a little worksheet that gives me an idea of what they cost to make. I figure in bullet cost with powder cost, etc, and come up with a price per 50 rds. Gives me something to compare the cost of different bullets as some of them get expensive and don't return enough good to justify their cost. Others do.

I would never, ever go back to a hard copy of my detailed logs and information database. Simply put, the data is so much easier to manipulate and refer back to when it's on a spreadsheet. And you can keep records of EVERYTHING. When I'm at the range, I make notes in a little notebook, then I enter that info in to my spreadsheet database and toss the notes. It's something that HAS to be done after shooting, just like cleaning my guns or tumbling my brass.

When I have a "man cave" day and I'm going to produce some ammo, I refer to the loads I wish to make while in front of the computer, then I write the load on a post-it note and take the note(s) down to the man cave and build the load. When I emerge with loaded ammo, I enter them in the log.

May sound a little anal retentive, but it's a gigantic and horribly important resource for me and I won't do without it.
Old March 10, 2009, 09:49 AM   #4
Lavid2002

Everyone here has a computer im guessing lol.....
Microsoft Excell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I keep track of
*brass batches
*.223 loads
*.308 loads
When I write up brass I note the load it was reloaded with (Each load is given a corresponding number I.E. 2s or 11a) Then I not trims, premature falures etc...
For load data I keep track of bullets powder reloader nae etc... If you guys want a write up of my reloading sheets ill be glad to send you the empty sheet in an attachment so you have a good idea of how I keep track of my hand loads.
-Dave
Old March 10, 2009, 01:35 PM   #5
WESHOOT2

my 'system' can work by candle

I use the Lyman Reloading Data Log (about $6); I mount them in 3-ring binders (under .400", and .400" and larger binders ).