The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 20, 2008, 02:04 AM   #1
mahd776

Uberti 1860 Army

Took my Uberti 1860 Army to deer camp this weekend to shoot it for the first time. Loaded 20 grains 777 and shot a round. Unfortunatly it was below zero this morning so one round was all I was able to shoot before we bailed out and went home. It seemed to be shooting about six inches to the left at 15 yards. Does not appear that the front sight is dovetailed. If this continues what is the cure or is there one? This revolver has the fluted cylinder. Are the any concerns about the strength of the fluted cylinder. Any concerns about shooting FFF 777 in it? Thanks! Got home just time to sign for the delivery of my new Ruger Old Army!!!!
Old January 20, 2008, 07:51 AM   #2
Hawg

About the only cure is filing the rear sight. If it continues to shoot that far to the left you might want to send it back and get another one. The fluted cylinder is fine. Bp isn't going to generate enough pressure to damage a cylinder. 777 is ok if it's a steel frame. If it's a brass frame 777 needs to be reduced 10% to equal bp. Brass won't handle a lot of heavy loads but even brass should be ok wth only 20 grs. of 777.
Old January 20, 2008, 12:26 PM   #3
CraigC

One shot??? WAAAY too soon to worry about it. The sights on these guns are so coarse, there's absolutely no way to know for sure without an extended shooting session in favorable conditions.

'If' it is a problem, a dovetail front sight can be fitted for not too much money.
Old January 20, 2008, 01:25 PM   #4
mahd776

What I meant was one full round of the cylinder for a total of six shots from a rest. You are right though I need to take it to the range for a extended shooting session before I get to excited about it.
Old January 22, 2008, 07:59 AM   #5
Spade Cooley

Get a buddy who is an excellent pistol shot to go to the range just to make sure it is that far off. Mine shot so high my buddy knocked out the front sight and we made a new higher one. We set it in the slot and peened it in place. It looks good. Some have a dove tail sight set in the rear but that ruins the gun's authenticity.
Old January 22, 2008, 08:32 PM   #6
long rider

I will go with craig c,its to soon to tell.
My 1860, well i thought the same, till i
came up with a plan, i made a vise out
of two by fours,and put 100 balls on a
target,found out that it just took a little
time to get the hang of a new gun,works
fine now.

Sod Buster Tried To Pull On Willson.