The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 17, 2001, 07:20 PM   #1
Romulus

I've never removed the TG on my model 87, I would like to inspect it and clean as required. On an 870, it's a matter of pushpins. On the Ithaca, there are a couple of set screws on each side of the receiver towrds the top, plus a large screw nearer the trigger guard. This screw won't budge, and I dont want to force it (nothing worse than a buggered screw.) Does anyone know the steps to removing an Ithaca TG?

Thanks
Old March 17, 2001, 09:48 PM   #2
Badger Arms

Screw MUST come out.

After that... make sure the hammer is back and the safety on. You must remove the buttstock and then the trigger group slides out the rear of the receiver. You might have to take off the shell carrier also, but This is fairly straightforward.
Old March 17, 2001, 09:58 PM   #3
Romulus

Thanks, Badger Arms

But here's my experience and why I'm so cautious:

I used to own a Savage model 55, a John Browning design, a semiauto 12 ga. The receiver looks almost identical to the Ithaca 87, with 2 pairs of set screws and a single large srew down by the trigger guard on the left side. I tried removing that large screw on the Savage years ago, buggered the crap out of it, and it never moved. I ended up taking the gun to a smith, walked out rather red-faced...

I have a set of Brownells screwdrivers, hollow-ground, good surface contact, but the damn thing still won't move...

I assume that taking out the trigger group for a good cleaning is good practice, that's why this query.

BTW, Badger, I suppose you are a WI boy, I had the pleasure of living there 12 years...the smith who fixed my 55 was in Mke
Old March 18, 2001, 05:55 PM   #4
Badger Arms

Actually, I'm from California. When coming up with a name for my my business, I wanted one that was easy to say and spell over the phone and in person as well as one that wasn't instantly recognizeable as a gun store name to non-gun people. Also wanted on that sounds good.

As far as the Ithaca, I've owned over a dozen in my time and detail stripped them all. No big deal on that screw. It might be that the previous owner (I'm assuming it's used) used locktite or dickered up the threads somehow. Lay the gun with the threaded end of the screw up. Put a drop of break-free or other type of penetrating oil on to the head and let it soak for an hour to a day. When you come back, it should break loose easier. If it doesn't, you can easy-out the thing or find some other destructive way of getting it out but that's best left to the experts. Make sure that when you are removing it, you apply downward pressure as well as rotational pressure. Righty-tighty, Lefty-loosey!

There's a tool I used to use when I was an Aircraft Mechanic that was a hammer that backed screws out when you hit it. This ensured that pressure was being applied. Good only for breaking it loose though. One good whack and it's loose. Sorta like an impact-wrench.
Old March 19, 2001, 12:37 AM   #5
Romulus

Thanks, Badger...

Actually, it was new in the box. I will let the penetrating oil do its magic for a day or two. I thought it might have been a question of order of disassembly, like the set screws first, then the TG screw...

But many thanks...
Old March 19, 2001, 07:41 AM   #6
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Romulus, you might try removing the stock first. Sometimes these will put upward pressure on the TG making the screw harder to remove. George
Old March 19, 2001, 10:49 AM   #7
Romulus

Ooooh

George, maybe that's why I never got the screw of the ole Savage 55

Thanks