The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 21, 2016, 07:54 PM   #26
socalboy

Not so good in CA.

Last week our glorious leaders in the CA senate passed ten (10) anti 2nd amendment bills. I was watching the proceedings on c-span and it got so painful I had to switch it off.
Old May 21, 2016, 11:51 PM   #27
Metal god

I'm in CA so my answer is pretty simple

As above stated . 10 new bills passed out of comity and will be on the floor for a vote as early as this week .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Town hall website
The state Senate on Thursday approved sweeping new restrictions on using guns in California in response to the December mass shooting by two terrorists that left 14 dead in San Bernardino.

Lawmakers approved 11 bills including measures mandating background checks for Californians buying ammunition and outlawing the manufacture and sale of semiautomatic rifles with detachable magazines.

The bills, which next go to the Assembly for consideration, represent the most ambitious effort at gun control in decades in California, which already has some of the strictest gun laws in the nation.

[…]

The measures banning rifles with detachable magazines and requiring background checks for ammo buyers are opposed by the National Rifle Assn., Gun Owners of California and the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the trade association for the firearms industry.

[…]

Two of the bills approved by the Senate would ban the manufacture and sale of semiautomatic rifles with detachable magazines as well as semiautomatic, center-fire rifles with “bullet buttons,” a recessed button that, when pressed by a sharp object, allows removal of the magazine.

Those already possessing such guns would have to register them with the state as assault rifles.

[…]

Yet another bill approved Thursday, authored by De León [Senate President Pro Tem Kevin De León (D-Los Angeles)], would require those buying ammunition to present identification, which would be used by the seller to check to make sure the buyer is not a felon or otherwise prohibited from possessing guns.

This is as close to a total gun ban as one could get, and I hope legal action is taken in the coming months over this egregious infringement on Second Amendment rights.
OMG !!! and that's just 3 of them

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; May 22, 2016 at 12:16 AM.
Old May 23, 2016, 01:22 AM   #28
mellow_c

Colorado, unfortunately is becoming the new California.

We have a sprawling front range with an endless supply of Californians who are leaving their state to come to ours in an effort to find a more affordable place to live and they are bringing their political views with them. Not to mention all the folks moving here because Marijuana is now legal. With the huge population boom that Colorado is now experiencing, housing costs are skyrocketing!!! Not too long ago you could get a decent apartment for $500-$700, now the VERY SAME apartments are renting for around $1200+ easily. Wages are not keeping up with the cost of living. Our homeless population is growing fast.

Back in 2013 we had a slew of new gun control laws pass. We are now only allowed to purchase magazines capable of holding only 15 rounds or fewer. Background checks are now required for ALL firearm purchases, the only exception being a GIFT between immediate family members. There are also restrictions on the number of rounds a shotgun can hold, I believe it is 8.

Our politicians are happy to be limiting our rights, and the people who have put these folks into power are generally either drinking the Obama cool aid, or are not from around here.

There are a lot of people out here doing their best to make sense of it all and they are leading the way in an effort to regain our rights.

I hope you are all doing your best to support your rights.

Keep it real folks. Best of luck to us all!

Last edited by mellow_c; May 23, 2016 at 01:30 AM.
Old May 23, 2016, 07:57 AM   #29
Targa

Nail on the head Mellow C, couldn't have said it better. I have been in Colorado since 87' and to watch what this state has deteriorated too absolutely disgusts me.
Old May 23, 2016, 08:54 AM   #30
BarryLee

Quote:
endless supply of Californians who are leaving their state to come to ours in an effort to find a more affordable place to live and they are bringing their political views with them.
Whether they be from California or some other anti-gun State many people are fleeing these places for various reasons and relocating to current gun friendly states. As they do they often vote for politicians that tend to support more gun control. I fear the death of the Second Amendment may not come at the Federal level, but slowly at the State level as migration flips many Southern and Western States.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 23, 2016, 09:16 AM   #31
rickyrick

That's exactly right barrylee
Old May 23, 2016, 09:36 AM   #32
kraigwy

I don't think you can judge a state by number of NCIC checks.

If so I'm sure my state would be close to the bottom. But you certainly cant say Wyoming isn't gun friendly.

We have the highest percentage of gun ownership, we just don't have the people to do NCIC checks on since we have the lowest population of any state.

We're right at the top of the list of the Gun Friendly States.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 23, 2016, 11:19 AM   #33
boatdoc173

CT--at least it is not Califormia

Ct is bad but not California yet.

Our Governor is a puppet for Obamanation. Now the putz e was told to write a EO stating that if you are on the no fly list(arbitrary BS list) then you cannot buy or own guns and this IDIOT ,Maloon stated on TV that you are guilty and must prove your innocence to get your guns back within 1 year( a feat not done by anyone yet) or lose them!!!

that violated amendments 1 4 and 5 I believe

we are now the UN constitution state--don't blame e I did not vote for this POS or any anti gun demoncrap for that matter
Old May 23, 2016, 11:33 AM   #34
Adizzle19

From Massachusetts here, and it sucks. It's weird though, there are a lot of barriers in first acquiring guns, but once you get a license and begin to understand the laws, you can find ways to get most of what you would want, with a few hang ups. For me the main problem is that the law generally inflates prices on most products...and the MA reputation causes a lot of online retailers not to ship items here even if they're legal to own.
Old May 23, 2016, 11:46 AM   #35
BarryLee

Quote:
the main problem is that the law generally inflates prices on most products...and the MA reputation causes a lot of online retailers not to ship items here even if they're legal to own.
Yes, a lot of this is by design. If they can’t prohibit an activity legally they’ll make it so expensive and onerous that most folks abstain.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 23, 2016, 03:00 PM   #36
JJ45

Article 1 Section 1 of the Pennsylvania State Constitution states;

"The right of citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be questioned."

I gotta emphasize "SHALL NOT BE QUESTIONED".....No mention of militia, etc. for the Libs to get ambiguous about!
Old May 26, 2016, 02:58 PM   #37
duraholiday

Check in from michigan.
Good getting better I hear... currently we have 5 year valid cpls. Ive heard that they are trying to pass an advanved cpl that allows cpl holders that have no legal issues for 5 years to take a class that allows us to carry concealed in gun free zones. I hope this passes...
Old May 26, 2016, 04:40 PM   #38
The_Jerkman

I live in New Yorkistan. I think that sadly speaks for itself. Maybe one day we can get a Republican as governor or at the very least someone with half a brain that isn't a super corrupt crook as Andrew Cuomo is

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
Old May 27, 2016, 10:28 AM   #39
trophyrider

Quote:
Check in from michigan.
Good getting better I hear... currently we have 5 year valid cpls. Ive heard that they are trying to pass an advanved cpl that allows cpl holders that have no legal issues for 5 years to take a class that allows us to carry concealed in gun free zones. I hope this passes...
It would be better if they got rid of the Permit to Purchase and registration of handguns.
Old May 30, 2016, 11:05 PM   #40
Coyote Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tail Gator
Florida was a leader in shall-issue concealed carry licenses, but still prohibits open carry except during fishing and hunting activities. Aside from the open carry ban, laws very much favor gun owners.
Florida Open Carry easily passed the FL House by a overwhelming majority in the last session, and would have also passed in the Senate by a decent margin except for one huge problem.

The Senate President ,Miguel de la Portilla of Miami, refuses to put the bill on the table, therefore preventing a vote. And he proudly says he'll do the same thing in the next session.

Since Rick Scott is among the most pro gun Governors in America, and would sign OC into law in a New York Minute, we see that one man is overruling the will of the FL Legislature and millions of Floridians.

However, until he is replaced, that is the way it is. Extremely frustrating.
Just like New Hampshire had permit-less carry stymied again last week by their Governors veto, which does not have enough votes to override.

From The Cleveland Press, March 1, 1921
Old May 31, 2016, 05:40 AM   #41
Spats McGee
Staff

Arkansas

We seem to be doing OK. Our General Assembly is currently in recess, but the only big changes in 2015 were things like allowing courthouse employees who also have their CHCLs to carry firearms at work, and putting a time limit on a CLEO to sign off on NFA items.

Oh, that and there's some debate as to whether we're an OC state or not.
Old May 31, 2016, 07:51 AM   #42
Don P

Quote:
but still prohibits open carry except during fishing and hunting activities. Aside from the open carry ban, laws very much favor gun owners.
To add to this you can open carry on the way to or from the shooting range or competition or shooting event in a PRIVATE CONVEYANCE ( personal vehicle) here in already hot FLA. Also you can open carry in your place of business or employment if the employer allows it or on you own private property
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.