The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 16, 2013, 06:49 PM   #1
.50cal packer

Star firearms???

I came across a site today, regarding laser attachments to steel pistols. The company makes one for a pistol called Star. Since I've never heard of this company, I was intrigued to look for some. I read that some Star pistols are C&R eligible. However, after looking through my C&R booklet, I can't find any in there. A few of their guns caught my eye. The Star model super B and The Star model B 2nd generation. I called the company that had these for sale, but they were already closed. Does anyone have any information of C&R Star pistols that are eligible and are the ones I mentioned eligible as well? Any information is greatly appreciated and thank you in advance.
IT SEEMS TO ME, LIKE ALL THESE NEW GUYS THINK...
Old April 16, 2013, 07:45 PM   #2
UtahHunting

I cannot tell you if they are C&R eligible or not. However I can tell you they are a decent gun. Similar to a 1911 they are great shooters. I owned one about 15-20 years ago and miss it greatly. Last month at a gun show I found one for $290. I had it in my hand ready to buy and sat it down to think about it. Returned to the table an hour later and it was sold.

I would be interested to know if they are C&R eligible as I am awaiting my C&R license. I sent in my application a couple weeks ago and they have charged my card the $30 fee. Hopefully it shows soon so I can empty my bank account.
Old April 16, 2013, 08:53 PM   #3
tobnpr

Aside from a special designation, any firearm, that has turned 50 years old, is C&R eligible. If it was made in '62 or earlier, you're GTG.

The first of the Colt AR-15's are coming of age...
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old April 16, 2013, 09:13 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

Star Bonifacio Echeverria, a Spanish company, is out of business. Some of their pistols are C&R by virtue of being 50 years old, but of course there is no factory support and availability of parts is problematical.

Jim
Old April 17, 2013, 11:35 AM   #5
gwpercle

Sad to hear Star is no longer in business. I had a Star model PS, 45 acp, looked a lot like a 1911 but with improvements...no grip safety, trigger like a revolver ( pivoted not sliding ) , exterior extractor. it was nicely made and finished and shot rings around my buddy's Colt Gold Cup, which ****** him off to no end cause he paid a whole lot of bucks for it. Sadly it was stolen, and I still miss it...If I came across another , reasonably priced, I would snap it up..no thinking about it. I still got some extra magazines for it.
Gary
Old April 17, 2013, 12:39 PM   #6
USMCGrunt

He's too young for it yet (still has to be spun up on a .22 Ruger SR22 first) but last fall I bought a Star BM 9mm pistol for my son to grow into. I did a little bit of test firing with some 9mm FMJ ammo and it's been reliable and pretty accurate as well. The quality is pretty good but the problem is in finding spare magazines and parts. They have a reputation for firing pins that can break so I did get a spare from Numrich arms in the event the original breaks. Really though, it's only a problem with dry firing so as long as we stick with snap caps, that spare firing pin might never even get used. Best thing though was the price was pretty decent at less than $300.

Old April 17, 2013, 05:50 PM   #7
xring3

I have 2 Star automatics....both 9mm...Model B is sized like a 1911 and the other the size of a combat commander. Both nice guns and both were C&R purchases.
Old April 20, 2013, 10:28 PM   #8
Auto5

I had an m43 firestar. Compact size for concealed carry, but the all steel gun weighed almost as much as my Browning Hi Power. Star went bankrupt in 1997. A group of former employees either bought the inventory or tried to produce parts for awhile, but that source seems to have dried up and parts are nearly impossible to find now.
Old April 23, 2013, 07:57 AM   #9
AirCool65

I have a Star Model BM and it's a great pistol. Inexpensive, but not cheaply made. I think that they're very underrated and a great value.
Old April 23, 2013, 09:07 AM   #10
Bigdog57

I loved my Star Modelo Super in 9mm Largo, and was handloading for it. Unfortunately the thief who broke into my home liked it too.

The older Stars do have a tendency to 'bite the hand that feeds it', and that rear tang is sharp! Still a good shooter. Some of the milsurp forums cover the Spanish pistols, and they can steer you towards parts suppliers.
Old April 24, 2013, 06:52 AM   #11
CowTowner

I have a few sites bookmarked for these guns. Haven't visited in a while, but here's all the help I have for us Star owners:

http://star-firearms.com/cgi-bin/gm1/index.shtml

http://www.gun-parts.com/star/

http://www.leesgunparts.com/
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old May 22, 2013, 09:36 AM   #12
Kev

There was an influx of WW2 era Star B models that were made for German troops, rear troops and police officers.
I believe the were 300+ and came from Russia as seized weapons.

I just received a Star B super from guns America for 260.00, but had it on layaway before $$$ jump.
Has mag safety that I removed. Bought spare mag for 40 bucks.
Love love love this 9mm!
Old May 22, 2013, 09:00 PM   #13
Kev

heres my Star B Super..

a few left here..Not C&R though...

http://www.gunsamerica.com/Search.as...ar%20B%20super
Old May 22, 2013, 09:08 PM   #14
Nathan

I have a Star Firestar 40 S&W. I bought it used here. It is in good shape and gets a few rounds a year through it. I bought it because I borrowed one in 45 Auto one time and had a blast. So, kind of just a reminder to fun times a few years ago. It could be a pretty good CCW, but really, it is too heavy. It is a fine unique design and that is why I hold onto it.
Old May 22, 2013, 10:36 PM   #15
Winchester_73

Quote:
There was an influx of WW2 era Star B models that were made for German troops, rear troops and police officers.

I believe the were 300+ and came from Russia as seized weapons.
A lot of the Nazi marked Star model Bs are fake. During WWII, Bulgaria ordered Star model B 9mm parabellum pistols (which resemble 1911s), and Star the same pistol for Bulgarians as the Germans, with the same markings after they completed the German pistol contract. The Germans added a crude Waffenamt to them. Some years (decades) ago, an importer (a crook) acquired a large number of Bulgarian examples and added fake "WaA251" waffenamt markings to them. Many people were duped then, and people are still duped by these. The only way to tell for sure is by serial range.

I wasn't sure Kev, if you were referring to the Bulgarian ones which were imported, or a discovery of a cache of actual German examples. I would think a cache of unaccountered for German contract examples would be a very special find. I never heard of what you are mentioning, specifically. Do you have any other info? Were these German examples import marked? (I assume they would have been).

Last edited by Winchester_73; May 23, 2013 at 01:14 AM.
Old May 23, 2013, 12:55 AM   #16
Kev

Hello Winchester73..
I did mean the Bulgarian's
Aim surplus had a bunch of them.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F3StarB
Old May 23, 2013, 04:11 AM   #17
Winchester_73

Quote:
Hello Winchester73..
I did mean the Bulgarian's
Aim surplus had a bunch of them.
That was my inclination from your post, but I still wondered.

Here is what an authentic Nazi contract Star B looks like (from my collection):

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...highlight=star
Old May 23, 2013, 06:19 AM   #18
Kev

^^absolutely great specimen Winchester 73^^
My particular Star was issued to Israeli Police. So they say.
I simply plan on shooting the hell out of it.
Old May 23, 2013, 07:09 PM   #19
Winchester_73

Thank you I actually did shoot mine. I don't shoot many of my guns. It shot very nice for me, and was basically right on.

Last edited by Winchester_73; May 23, 2013 at 07:18 PM.
Old June 3, 2013, 07:52 AM   #20
dogngun

I have had a lot of different STAR pistols, both commercial and surplus...the most accurate 9mm DA pistol I have had in 45 years was a Star 30M, a former Spanish Army pistol...great shooters well designed and strong pistols.

I now have a Star Modelo Super, a 9mm Largo pistol but with a separate barrel for 9mm Luger...both barrels are serial numbered to the gun. It's the only one I have seen like this...

The custom grips came with it, too. It is also a very good shooter.

mark
Old June 3, 2013, 08:35 PM   #21
Enfielder

I have heard that a lot of the C&R Star Mod. B's are coming out of Russia. It seems that they captured a lot of them from German territory and shipped them back to Soviet armories. There they were disassembled, like parts piled together after cleaning, and then reassembled. Unfortunately, this required some gunsmithing for a proper fit, and they had to manufacture some new extractors and other parts that weren't so interchangeable. If you see extractors with a purplish cast to them, that is the Soviet version of gun bluing. Some owners have reported persistent feeding failures (i.e stovepipes), and don't recommend them for personal defense weapons. I've had a Modelo Super in 9mm Largo, and never had any problems with it. My nephew now owns it, and loves it.
Old June 20, 2013, 09:25 AM   #22
Ibmikey

Star pistols! Just the thought causes my wallet to quivver as several years ago, before they became so plentiful and popular, I began collecting them. The pistols are well made, just melt into your shooting hand and accurate and reliable. My favorites are the DK's in 380..they were the inspiration for the Mustang and Sig 238 but are very difficult to find due to the 68 GCA banning importation. FI worked with Star and produced a steel frame for Star parts kits= FI Model D and later Iver Johnson Pony. The BM and with aluminum frame BKM are very naturally pointing and will shoot forever (like with most Stars) if you do not dry fire as that breaks firing pins. I have shot many hundreds of rounds through Star's without incident although I keep many parts on hand just in case. My problem was...they were available and priced reasonably...even the rare or special service guns, so I acquired over sixty of them. " Well really you can only shoot one at a time" but still they are fun to shoot and fondle while watching a bow and arrow guy kill a bear on the Sportsman's channel.
Old June 20, 2013, 10:41 AM   #23
AirCool65

60 of them? Wow. I only have the one BM, but I'd probably buy more if I could find some at reasonable prices... the ones I've seen for sale lately have been way too pricey.
Old June 20, 2013, 01:46 PM   #24
Bill DeShivs

For what it's worth, I make Star firing pins all the time.