The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old October 26, 2012, 08:42 AM   #26
Beretta686

Here's a video that demonstrates the real-world utility of a Tomahawk and what all it can kill.

RLTW!

When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross.”
Old February 2, 2015, 09:20 PM   #27
ColoradoJohn

Tomahawks are worth it.

Guys you have to understand that a tactical tomahawk is going to be more useful for self defense, digging, or light chopping. Most of the time this wont replace a hatchet or full sized axe.

My dad and I bought a SOG tactical Tomahawk and did a good review with lots of pictures and even my blood. Check it out here.
Sog Tactical Tomahawk Review FatherSonPrepppers.com
Old February 3, 2015, 08:28 AM   #28
Snyper

An Estwing sheetrock hammer is a handy tool and can make a good weapon also, although their 22 Oz framing hammer will probably do more damage
Old February 3, 2015, 08:50 AM   #29
Magnum Wheel Man

nice review...

BTW... I started this thread a couple years ago, & I've not found the need to purchase a tactical tomahawk... yet... however since the only "bags" I've put together are "get home" bags, & I don't envision the need to "bug out" with any real percentage I haven't justified the need for one... & wasn't really planning on buying one, was just surprised it was rated so highly as a "tactical tool"

along the hammer thought process, I have an Estwing shingle hammer that while not built of tactical colors, would likely do most the same things as a tactical tomahawk...
Old February 3, 2015, 08:56 AM   #30
dahermit

I have always been fascinated by primitive weapons. There seems to be three basic types of primitive weapons. Those that use blunt trauma and those that use cutting and those that use elements of both. A war-club uses blunt trauma, and its advantage is that it can be effective on a subject using armor. It is however, slower to swing and use that a lighter weapon. A cutting weapon is very fast to wield, but is not very effective against armor. The tomahawk is a hybrid in that it has a cutting edge, enough weight to enable some blunt trauma effect (stunning if the head is struck), but light enough to enable speed of use. In short, the tomahawk was very effective in early America, invented by the Native Americans and adapted by White frontiersman who observed its effectiveness in close-quarters combat. Nevertheless, unless in a hand-to-hand target-rich environment (of the Indian attack scenario), it would seem to me to not be as effective as a modern handgun.
Old February 28, 2015, 10:56 AM   #31
kduffy

Useful tool! Mind changed from toy.

My dad had given my high school aged boys a SOG tactical hawk for Christmas. I was not impressed, I figured even ammunition would have been a better use of funds. My mind was changed when we had our January deer season in KS, and the two hanging deer froze solid while waiting for a couple more to join them.

After working my way through skinning a frozen deer and not having a good amount of luck knocking the front and back legs off the first one with a heavy throwing knife made from a leaf spring off a pickup, I sent the youngest in to retrieve my old forged tomahawk. He returned instead with this TOY, I was not impressed, but figured it would work. I knocked the last rear leg off with a couple swings and was impressed with how sharp it was and the balance. I wound up using it to skin a lot of the next deer, had to be careful not to cut through the hide. When I got to the front legs, they both fell off clean cut with a single pass. By guiding it down along the spine, I was able to bone out the frozen back straps in less time than I had taken with a good knife on the first deer. It allowed me to use both hands for considerable control, and had the weight and sharp edge to cut just as well as a knife, (even after cutting three legs, bone tendons and meat).

To think I only figured it would be useful for chopping a sternum and pelvic girdle when cleaning deer. I easily could take care of an entire deer with only the one TOOL! If it only had a hammer instead of a pick on the back of the head......
Old February 28, 2015, 09:59 PM   #32
Snyper

Quote:
If it only had a hammer instead of a pick on the back of the head......
Check out these Estwings:

http://www.estwing.com/roofing_tools.php
Old February 28, 2015, 10:11 PM   #33
NateKirk

A tomahawk is nothing more than a lightweight hatchet, and hatchets get stuck in things when you use them. A mace, or machete, or big knife would be better; you have more direct control over them, and they don't get stuck as easily (not that I've killed anyone before) If real soldiers are actually carrying around tomahawks seriously and not just keeping them as an interesting item, then they need to get a grip on reality and replace it with an extra magazine, or grenade, or something else more useful.

Don't get me wrong, they are cool... but if you're using it for war, you are limiting yourself.

As a lightweight camp ax though I would imagine it would be great

― --Thomas Jefferson
Old March 1, 2015, 02:09 AM   #34
Snyper

Quote:
If real soldiers are actually carrying around tomahawks seriously and not just keeping them as an interesting item, then they need to get a grip on reality and replace it with an extra magazine, or grenade, or something else more useful.
There is no "if"
It even has it's own inventory number

They've been carrying them for hundreds of years
http://militarythoughts.blogspot.com...het-man-n.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Tomahawk_Company

Quote:
American Tomahawk Company is a US-based company which manufactures modern tomahawks for use by the US Military.

It was founded in 1966 by Peter LaGana to make tomahawks for the Vietnam War and folded in the 1970s.

ATC was revived in early 2001 by Andy Prisco and LaGana shortly before LaGana's death. ATC makes tomahawks to this day, primarily for the US Army.
Quote:
American Tomahawk Company's "VTAC" ("Vietnam Tactical Tomahawk") is in use by the US Army Stryker Brigade in Afghanistan, the 172nd SBCT Team based at Grafenwoehr, GE, the 3rd Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division out of Fort Lewis, a Recon Platoon in the 2-183d CAV (116th IBCT)(OIF 2007-2008) and numerous other soldiers.

[4][5] The VTAC was issued a National Stock Number(4210-01-518-7244) and classified as a “Class 9 rescue kit” as a result of a program called the Rapid Fielding Initiative; it is also included within every Stryker vehicle as the “Modular Entry Tool set”.[4][5]
Old March 1, 2015, 02:39 AM   #35
johnwilliamson062

The major thing that is being missed here is the tomahawk can be used to trap an opponents weapon or limb in melee fights. If your opponent has two arms on a rifle with bayonet fixed and you hook it, you have pretty good control of the situation.

An extra round in your sidearm might be better. Of course, in shootings, the hit rate is only around 20% for police. Military numbers are near impossible to figure, but probably not any better. When somebody is on top of you and you need to put something in between yourself and them a grenade isn't much good.
Old March 1, 2015, 04:11 AM   #36
gbc123

Tomahawk/melee/hatchet. Most notably used in the middle ages. 2 or 3 worn on the belt were thrown at the enemy line to create a "hole" into which they could use their sword and daggers to best effect.

It is an effective tool/weapon that a friend saved my life with once... My advice, see what you can find at the home depot or equivalent.
Old March 1, 2015, 04:13 AM   #37
gbc123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snyper View Post
There is no "if"
It even has it's own inventory number

They've been carrying them for hundreds of years
http://militarythoughts.blogspot.com...het-man-n.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Tomahawk_Company
I don't know of any decent military that doesn't issue some form or another.
Old March 1, 2015, 04:18 AM   #38
gbc123

Quote:
Originally Posted by kduffy View Post
My dad had given my high school aged boys a SOG tactical hawk for Christmas. I was not impressed, I figured even ammunition would have been a better use of funds. My mind was changed when we had our January deer season in KS, and the two hanging deer froze solid while waiting for a couple more to join them.

After working my way through skinning a frozen deer and not having a good amount of luck knocking the front and back legs off the first one with a heavy throwing knife made from a leaf spring off a pickup, I sent the youngest in to retrieve my old forged tomahawk. He returned instead with this TOY, I was not impressed, but figured it would work. I knocked the last rear leg off with a couple swings and was impressed with how sharp it was and the balance. I wound up using it to skin a lot of the next deer, had to be careful not to cut through the hide. When I got to the front legs, they both fell off clean cut with a single pass. By guiding it down along the spine, I was able to bone out the frozen back straps in less time than I had taken with a good knife on the first deer. It allowed me to use both hands for considerable control, and had the weight and sharp edge to cut just as well as a knife, (even after cutting three legs, bone tendons and meat).

To think I only figured it would be useful for chopping a sternum and pelvic girdle when cleaning deer. I easily could take care of an entire deer with only the one TOOL! If it only had a hammer instead of a pick on the back of the head......
The best edge you can get is at a 30 degree angle with 320 grit. Deburring can be done with the palm of your hand or at shirt.
For your old skinning knife.
Old March 1, 2015, 08:03 PM   #39
Gunfixr

I have one of the Laguna vtac hawks, and while it is an impressive piece of equipment, I felt it was limited.
I'm sure it is a great War implement, but honestly, I don't spend much time at war. I need a hawk that has more usability in the field. The narrow, flat cutting edge is not very good at processing wood.
So, I got a warbeast from 2 hawks. It does wood processing, will dress large game, and I'm pretty sure will do the war thing as well if I need it.
I'm not knocking the vtac, I guess it's just not exactly what fits my needs. It is cool. I may keep it anyway.
Old March 1, 2015, 11:44 PM   #40
JimDandy

While I like a Tomahawk as much as the next guy.. I'm not sure how tactical a 3500 pound 20 foot long single shot boom stick is.

As far as the Bug Out Bag miniature axes, I'd say that's about what they're good for. To stick in a BOB. That's where you're sacrificing 6 different big tools that do their job really well for one tool that's small and does six jobs better than badly.
Old March 5, 2015, 08:11 PM   #41
Cosmoline

There's a number of martial arts that use small axes. Combined with a shield or buckler they're pretty handy and can perform some surprise "reach around" attacks no sword could match. For combat the best ones have projecting points forward and back, to hook and jab. And the head should be thin in profile and light for slashing. The problem with most tomahawks is they're jacks-of-all-trade and have heavier heads for chopping wood. And of course there's a big difference between chopping wood with an axe and fighting with one. The swing is completely different, and you have to learn how to manipulate its axis of rotation. Not to mention basics such as "true time" fighting and biomechanics. Most of the big HEMA conventions will have a seminar on small axes.

But my favorite axe at this point is the two handed Great Dane from Arms and Armor. Light in the hand, well balanced and absolutely terrifying in drills. It's as fast in the hand as a longsword and can yank, spear, slice, push-cut or just simply bash. You can use it like a sword or like a pole-arm. But it would fall apart quickly if you tried to chop down a tree with it.

http://armor.com/pole024.html