The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old August 13, 2015, 11:30 AM   #51
Glenn E. Meyer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mimolette

Rhymes with marmot and is covered with mites.

I might need to close my own thread if this silliness continues.
Old August 13, 2015, 01:40 PM   #52
rickyrick

I agree, the less you look like a "gun guy" while concealing, the better.

But, it seems that some people like to advertise guns being how they get snippie when it's mentioned.

I have a personal rule that I don't advertise anything unless compensated for it.

I will never purchase any attire that displays a brand name:
Ruger
Glock
Harley
Chevy
Ford
Yamaha
Whirlpool
Stihl
And so on.

At the minimum I should get the attire for free, I feel I should get paid to wear it around.
If given as SWAG, I'll usually wear it around the house doing chores.

I've used many a Harley shirt as a rag to wash my truck with.
I have no problem using a firearm related shirt to wipe up oil spots with, that's all the value they hold for me.
I've used a few NRA hats as targets before. I've never wore one
Old August 13, 2015, 04:03 PM   #53
SPEMack618

I've gotten made as a "gun guy" due to style of dress and mannerisms before. But it was by other gun guys or security type dudes.

The regulation high and tight probably didn't help either.

I have a bunch of Duck's Unlimited shirts and CCA shirts, but other than that most of my day to day wear is girlfriend/little sister selected, so I'm not a walking bill board; other than maybe for North Face.

In all seriousness, I do most of my grocery shopping at Kroger, even more so after the Mommies got in a twist about them.

I only go to Whole Foods when mandated by Household-Six.
Old August 16, 2015, 01:01 AM   #54
johnwilliamson062

I used to wear a watch worth more than my Glock.

I regularly see petite women who probably aren't armed wearing rings worth 5-10 times what my Glock is worth. I know one older woman who has a $60,000 engagement ring.

What criminal is going to attack me if they know I am carrying a Glock with those targets around?
Old August 16, 2015, 01:27 AM   #55
rickyrick

All those criminal guns came from somewhere. Just sayin
Old August 16, 2015, 01:32 AM   #56
Koda94

Quote:
What criminal is going to attack me if they know I am carrying a Glock with those targets around?
I wonder how much a Glock is worth on the black market?
Old August 16, 2015, 03:01 AM   #57
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I wonder how much a Glock is worth on the black market?
What the market will bear. I have no idea how many dollars that is, but generally "hot" guns either run more than "cold" ones, because a criminal can't buy one legally, and so must either steal it themselves, or pay what is asked by those who did.

OR

They run much cheaper than legal guns, because only criminals will buy them.

SO, a $100 pocket jammomatic might be a $500 gun to a criminal who needs a gun, and your $2000 Python might be a $50 score for the junkie who ripped it off.

I understand its a very situational thing.
Old August 16, 2015, 10:21 AM   #58
Glenn E. Meyer

Selling jewelry may not be as lucrative as the quick sale of a gun. I've read thieves make very little on jewelry. Diamonds are worth crap on the regular resale market. For fences, probably very little.
Old August 16, 2015, 01:15 PM   #59
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Diamonds are worth crap on the regular resale market. For fences, probably very little.
Yes, but from what I understand, they're easier to fence than guns. That's part of the equation. A gun is a serialized item, and walking around with one jammed in my pocket might get noticed. No pawnbroker is going to give me anything for it unless he's run the numbers.
Old August 16, 2015, 02:40 PM   #60
rickyrick

Not all crime is about money, some criminals may actually see a gun as more valuable than a wedding ring.

A wedding ring won't cause fear and intimidation to future victims and it would be difficult to harm someone with jewelry.

A criminal can accomplish much with a gun.

A Ruger T-shirt wouldn't go very far in self defense either
Old August 16, 2015, 02:49 PM   #61
Koda94

I think the question I should have asked is how easy is it to sell a gun on the black market? (not "fence" or sell legally like at a pawn shop)

I would think on the black market a gun would sell easily.
Old August 16, 2015, 03:55 PM   #62
buck460XVR

Quote:
Why, there is a portly gentleman with a less than stellar physique (not that I do anymore) wearing a very tight t-shirt with Glock in large logo letter in the front. He's wearing shorts and there's a knife clip. Where's the gun, I think? So, I stealthily circle the melons and see on his hip a big black box thing with a flap. Aha! That's the concealed holster. Flip the top and out will pop his Glock. Looked about G19 size.

I'm sure the guy feels like a steely eyed dealer of death

Probably similar to those overweight cyclists that insist on wearing the skin tight Lycra on their daily half mile rides so they feel like Lance Armstrong, or those greyhaired, outta shape guys that wear overpriced L.L. Bean clothes and in their mind think they project the image of a chiseled outta stone, leather faced trapper, checking his lines just south of Pohenegamook.........

Old August 16, 2015, 08:53 PM   #63
johnwilliamson062

Also, I've carried when skinny and I've carried when fat. It was much easier to find a comfortable concealment rig when skinny. The gun might stick out from my body and print more, but it tended to poke me less. A concealment method that was farther from my body might be much more comfortable.

I try to avoid any logos, especially large ones, unless I am being payed to wear them(doesn't happen very often). With that said, if it is inappropriate to wear such shirts in public, then is it inappropriate to discuss firearms in public? Should we really hide and let the other side control the discussion in public space?
I am hundreds of burritos past my last pull-up. Does that mean I shouldn't carry? Is the 350 pound guy who struggles up a flight of stairs less deserving of life and a right to defend it than the 165 pound guy who spends two hours a day in the gym? Who is more able to defend their right to life without a firearm?

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; August 16, 2015 at 10:23 PM.
Old September 8, 2015, 11:55 AM   #64
jstert

while the o.p. was being satirical, he raises some good points. not all ccw permit holders are in one of the free states or rural/gun friendly areas. as much as i believe in the second amendment--straight up, no chaser--i prefer to err on the side of blending in. perhaps it is my age but my desire to "make a statement" is long buried. i think whole foods is a rip-off anyway but there may be other "upscale" places that i might enter while ccw'ing. teddy roosevelt said it well: "walk softly but carry a big stick." i just choose to ccw my stick.
Old September 9, 2015, 08:26 PM   #65
Glenn E. Meyer

The thread resurfaces. So, I just went to the gun store to stock up on magazines for a great labor day sale and then switched gears to the fancy cheese store for two artisanal cheese - an Alpine type and a washed rind.

Politely concealed, I raised no eyebrows at either place.
Old September 10, 2015, 11:31 AM   #66
vito

I have one of those "cases"; its a Sneaky Pete holster. To any of us on this forum it is a dead give-away that I am armed, or foolishly carrying a large calculator or small tablet in a gun case. But to the average Joe-public, it tells them nothing at all. I had mine before we had concealed carry here in Illinois, thinking I might use it when traveling to Wisconsin where my Utah permit is recognized. But just to see how much it really shouts "gun" to even those in the know, I wore it on a visit to the State Capitol, keeping my larger smart phone in it. Remember that this was about 3 years ago, when any concealed carry was illegal here in Illinois. I had contact with several of the police at the Capitol building, and no one said a single word about my holster. Nor did any of the public.

That said, I have not actually used it as a holster since that time at the Capitol, but I am never surprised at the total lack of observational awareness exhibited by the public. Personally when I carry concealed I want to give no indication of such to anyone. I wear no firearm related clothing, have no firearm or NRA stickers on my car (I am a Life member) and I am sure that to the general public I am just another somewhat overweight old guy with a beard, i.e., an invisible person. But to each their own.
Old September 10, 2015, 08:35 PM   #67
Glenn E. Meyer

Did you wear a big old Glock t-shirt across the beer belly?

That was part of the outfit, I described.
Old September 11, 2015, 11:35 AM   #68
buck460XVR

Quote:
Did you wear a big old Glock t-shirt across the beer belly?

Old September 11, 2015, 11:52 AM   #69
Glenn E. Meyer

So do you support OC of the actual sex machine or should it be concealed?

So, sorry for that! I'm bad.
Old September 11, 2015, 12:43 PM   #70
seeker_two

Upscale market.....dressing up to shop.....organic veggies....laughing at how other people look and dress.......

When did it get all metrosexual up in here?.....
Old September 11, 2015, 03:46 PM   #71
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
When did it get all metrosexual up in here?
Around the time we changed the TFL Staff dress code to include Speedos and those creepy toe shoes.
Old September 11, 2015, 06:56 PM   #72
rickyrick

Lol, I been buying all organic food for a few years.

I can afford it because I don't need prescriptions or doctor visits any longer.

I'm always packing, but wouldn't be caught dead with firearm related garmints on. That'd be almost as bad as smoking in the park
Old September 11, 2015, 07:59 PM   #73
Ignition Override

That macho dude with the gun names on his t-shirt is no safer than an "unarmed" guy, so to speak...who is very skilled at Krav Maga etc. Probably much less safe.

The thugs Know that many guys, even those wearing blank t-shirts, are armed.
That's why they stay in your 6 o'clock until the last three feet, and as quick as a cat immed. turn in front of you with a drawn gun. Too late now to pull one out! All of that expensive practice going to waste.

I know two armed guys who experienced this. One was stepping out of his car at 10:00 pm in his garage.
That chump you described is almost asking to get mugged for his wallet, which happened to an armed guy who practices at the club range.
Old September 13, 2015, 04:23 PM   #74
orionengnr

Quote:
Solution - you could go to Central Market -
Yep, that's the one that works for me.
Besides, CM has HatchFest. And this week, GarlicFest.
Sprouts is okay by me, too.

Checked out a Whole Foods...once. Won't make that mistake again.

Last edited by orionengnr; September 13, 2015 at 04:28 PM.
Old September 13, 2015, 05:03 PM   #75
Mike40-11

Quote:
You publicly indicated that you wanted to confront a stranger over how he was carrying his FA.
Quote:
I rest my case on my rhetorical style passing by the poster's analysis of my real world intentions.
"Nothing goes over my head. My reflexes are to fast. I would catch it!"