The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old August 8, 2002, 01:54 PM   #1
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

How about M2 Carbines?

I'd like to see a little discussion on the M2 carbine.

I am ignorant about the actual history and development of this particular variation. Most anyone interested has some idea on the background of the US Carbine, caliber .30 M1 - - -or at least has some MISinformation about it. (Sorry, guys - - -David Marsh Williams had only a peripheral role in development of this little arm.)

But, at exactly what point was the M2 design specified for development? When were the first operational M2s fielded?

Also--has anyone ever worked out a way to CONTROL an M2 at distances of over eleven feet?

Just on a personal note - - - All my references have to do with an M1 carbine with the M2 parts kit added, registered in 1968. I have no idea if there is any practical difference between this carbine and one manufactured as and marked "M2."

More later- - -

Johnny Guest
Old August 8, 2002, 08:38 PM   #2
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello, Johnny! My only experience with a grand total of one that belonged to the PD was not all that "great." While the little thing didn't "kick," it did rise and I never could defeat that.

I don't know anything about their history.

Best.

PS: It was fun to shoot on their ammo, though! Bahahahahaha!

PS Again: I did shoot "some" good friend's (legal) Thompson at a couple of life-sized cutouts and since the bbl was going to be replaced, I was allowed to just hold the trigger back.

I still remember that.................and smile!
Old August 8, 2002, 09:11 PM   #3
swampgator

Johnny,

All I know about the M-2 is what my dad has told me over the years. IIRC cyclic rate was about 800 rounds a minute. I know he was issued one in Korea, but that's about it.

An aside:
He used to tell me how when they'd go to the range (1958 Post War) to qualify, all the War Vets would come up to line and dump to 30 round magazines (taped together, of course). One long burp, mag change, another burp. "Yep, he's qualified."
Old August 9, 2002, 07:15 AM   #4
ACP230

I have had a couple of chances to rent an M2 Carbine at shoots and faild to do so. I also had a chance to shoot a Paratrooper model of the M2 for free, but I didn't have a box of ammo with me. The owner didn't want to let me shoot up his last 30 rounder for some reason.

The M2 is at the top of my "To Shoot" list at the moment. I hear lots of slams against them, but I'd like to own one. They just appeal to me.
Old August 9, 2002, 07:52 AM   #5
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting bit of triviata:

More than one GI M2 was "demilled" by putting the gun on semiauto, removing the selector switch, and then putting a regular M1 stock on the gun. Oddly, the ATF doesn't consider "But the government sold it to me through the CMP!" to be a legitimate excuse for owning a machine gun. Caveat emptor, baby.
Old August 9, 2002, 11:00 AM   #6
C.R.Sam

Tamara....
You are indeed a witch.

Now I will have dreams
Dreams of $15.00 M-2s
Had and passed on
Without noticing.

Sam
Old August 13, 2002, 08:51 AM   #7
MrPink

M2 carbines use to be a great deal. Cheap surplus ammo was plentiful. I think the market has changed. You could now get a "second label" RR AR15 shooter for about as much.

"Yeah, that's easy for you to say, you're Mr. White, you have a cool sounding name. Alright look, if it's no big deal to be Mr. Pink, you wanna trade?"
Old August 14, 2002, 05:09 PM   #8
george miller

m2, i tend to agree...how to control the muzzle rise past 11 feet..lol..nobody that i know that has ever fired one has figured that one out yet,they recoil lightly but will get away easily..the barrel gets very hot..very quickly.aside from that,the m2 isnt all that bad for close range and one tries controlled bursts.i believe some prisons used them for awhile way back when and they used to be quite common,the m1 would make a very good patrol weapon but alot of the cops feel the same way,not effective.ive heard the stories of the m2 being ineffective too but its not meant to be fired like the m1 garand,its a pistol round.go to battlerifles.com if you need some more info.they are strictly carbine,garand,ect.