The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 11, 2016, 01:30 AM   #1
bm303

First time buyer looking for range/HD gun

Hi all! I am young, new shooter in the market for my first handgun. It will be used for both home defense and range fun. If I choose to carry I will buy a carry gun.

I have shot a bunch of handguns the last few months and my favorite so far is the CZ-75 SP-01. I tried the Glocks, VP9, M&P's and Walthers.

The M&P full sized 9 is my favorite striker fired polymer that I tried. Felt much better in my hand than the Glocks.

The CZ is just amazing. I knew I was going to like that firearm before I even held it. It's beautiful. My only complaint is the trigger reset is long. I'm used to shooting striker fired polymer pistols and the reset is way shorter than the CZ.

I also have yet to try any of the long-frame models. The M&P 9 Pro series looks great. The one I rented was just the standard "M&P9" and it was very nice. I bet the long slide is even smoother.

I really want to shoot the P226 if I can find one near me. The P-09 too, but I am leaning away from the Polymer pistols since I won't be carrying this firearm.

I'd like to shoot every firearm I can think of that may suit my needs before making my purchase. If anyone has any other suggestions, please share them! Price is no issue.

Take care!

Last edited by bm303; January 11, 2016 at 04:16 AM.
Old January 11, 2016, 02:38 AM   #2
Boogityx2

Hk VP9
Walther PPQ 9mm
Sig P320
Canik TP9SA/TP9SF
I'll still throw in Glocks just because. G19 w/G22 mag
Old January 11, 2016, 06:37 AM   #3
Spats McGee
Staff

Welcome to TFL, bm303!

Around here, the "first time buyer questions" are almost always met with "go to a range and shoot as many different guns as you can." I'd say that means that you're a step up on us.

All of the pistols that you listed in your post are serviceable firearms from reliable manufacturers. Any one of them will serve you well. Get the one that you shoot the best.

You've got hammer-fired and striker fired in that mix, and (I think) polymer and steel. As long as you're testing out such a wide range of pistols, and leaning away from polymers, I'd also suggest trying out a 1911 and a Browning Hi-Power.
Old January 11, 2016, 06:41 AM   #4
745SW

Sounds like your rather familiar/experienced for a newbie. I believe the right choice will be made. If not, going through some churn is common/normal especially early on.
Old January 11, 2016, 07:40 AM   #5
pilpens

Springfield 1911 Range Officer 5" 9mm.
CZ 75 shadow (CZ custom).
Walther PPQ M2
Springfield XDm 9mm (5.25" or 5")
Old January 11, 2016, 03:24 PM   #6
Worc

There are a lot of good models that fit your criteria. I like barrel lengths from around 4" (compacts) to 5" for this type of use.

DA/SA metal: I'd start with the Sig 226. Beretta 92, CZ 75's Sig 229/M-11 and Sphinx SDP's are all good choices as well.

DA/SA polymer: Beretta PX-4, HK P-30's and USP's, FN FNX.

DAO polymer: Sig 250 or Walther PPX.

Striker polymer: HK VP9, Sig 320's, Steyr M9-A1 or L9-A1, Walther PPQ's.

Striker DA/SA polymer: Walther P-99 AS.
Old January 11, 2016, 04:02 PM   #7
tallball

If we are talking 9mm...

Beretta 92 is great, as is Browning High Power, and a 1911 in 9mm.

CZ75 is my favorite, but the reset doesn't bother me.

If it is for range and HD, steel frame is the best choice for the vast majority of people, as is a full-sized pistol. That parameter also means that single action is okay. You have a ton of great choices out there!

Last edited by tallball; January 11, 2016 at 07:55 PM.
Old January 11, 2016, 04:25 PM   #8
Maverick36

I'm all striker.
VP9
PPQ
Springfield XDm 9mm Bitone with PRP drop in trigger
Old January 11, 2016, 06:15 PM   #9
BigJimP

A full sized 1911 in 9mm ( steel gun, with a 5" barrel ) is a pleasure to shoot ...and very accurate ...and great triggers if they're tuned properly.

You said price is no object....ok, then check out Wilson Combat's 1911's in 9mm....I'd recommend either a CQB full size or a Protector model in the
$ 3,500 price range...very nice guns / a gun you'll have a long time / and you can easily carry it ...( I do ). I carry an all stainless, full sized, Protector model in 9mm...( 10 + 1 wilson mags )....and I shoot it a lot ( gun is a little over 8 yrs old and passed 100,000 rds this winter). I also have a CQB full sized in .45 acp ...another great gun !

my "Protector" model...
http://thefiringline.com/forums/atta...9&d=1336163670
Old January 11, 2016, 08:17 PM   #10
marine6680

My poly striker pistols get the most use of all of mine.

My M&P is a favorite. So is my VP9 and PPQ. My recent purchase of an FNH FNS9 has been a good one, very accurate and easy to shoot. Very Glock like in how the trigger functions, but I feel smoother and with a better break than a Glock.

I own CZs and like them a great deal. Same for my Sig 226... Both are great shooters. The CZ feels like a sports car, and the Sig like an old Cadillac... One is fast and sharper, the other a little slower but smooth. Trigger reach tends to be a problem with some when they use these pistols.

In the end, while a nice hammer fired pistol makes for a great range gun, I feel a modern striker to be the best for defensive roles... And they can be a lot of fun at the range too.

If you go with a hammer fired, I prefer a DA/SA with a recover for such use.
Old January 11, 2016, 08:22 PM   #11
MrWesson

Full size/long barrel
Night sights are nice
High capacity
Reliability

Most modern companies have a gun that fits the bill so just roll the dice knowing you'll win. I'd roll my dice towards the lowest cost striker fired gun from a reputable manufacturer.

Everything else is fanboy nonsense.
Old January 11, 2016, 09:03 PM   #12
JDBerg

Sig P226 Legion, my current "price is no issue" favorite gun!
Old January 11, 2016, 09:05 PM   #13
TXAZ

M&P is an excellent gun. If you like it, you'll love the P226.
I'd put the Beretta between the two, rank wise.
I have and shoot all three.

If you can afford the P226, shoot it and buy it.

As with any gun, you need to try before you buy, as some look great spec wise, but the grip and balance may not be to your liking.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old January 11, 2016, 09:52 PM   #14
rugmar

JD,

Just out of curiosity, do you have any bigger pictures of that Sig?
Old January 13, 2016, 12:39 AM   #15
bm303

Thank you to everyone who has shared their thoughts so far.

I called all of the local ranges that I have been to. None of them rent the P226, unfortunately.

I meant to ask everyone's opinion on a first gun owner's home defense gun. Is there any reason a striker fired gun is superior/inferior than a DA/SA gun with a safety? Curious to hear your thoughts. Given that I won't be carrying it at all there seems to be no reason not to get a large and heavy gun, hence why I am leaning away from the polymer's even though I do really enjoy the M&P. I bet the Pro 5" is even better for my needs.
Old January 13, 2016, 01:36 AM   #16
rock185

9mm is a good choice. Handle as many as you can of those that you might be interested in. Buy the one that seems to fit you best. For HD striker, DA/SA/DAO or revolver, all personal preference. For HD, you might consider something with a light rail. Buy quality. Don't waste your time and patience with off-brand firearms that are "almost as good" even though some self-proclaimed expert tells you that "you're just paying for the name" when you're considering a manufacturer with a proven record of building quality firearms.......ymmv
Old January 13, 2016, 01:41 AM   #17
marine6680

Yeah, choice of action is a subjective thing.

I like strikers due to the consistent trigger, simple control free use, low bore height, and shorter trigger reach.

I have smallish hands, so I can not be as fast on a DA/SA as a striker, due to the longer reach of the DA first shot.
Old January 13, 2016, 02:00 AM   #18
Water-Man

Shoot the Sig P320.
Old January 13, 2016, 07:13 AM   #19
ritepath

Don't forget the CZ p-09 and it's 19+1 rounds of 9mm.

Old January 13, 2016, 08:35 AM   #20
jmhyer

^^THIS^^
Old January 13, 2016, 08:51 AM   #21
GaryWWhite

I currently own a Sig P229 Elite that shoots remarkable groups. It is about an inch shorter than the P226 and is very concealable.
Old January 13, 2016, 09:13 AM   #22
RoughDivider

If you enjoy the M&P get it, no sense to base the HD gun on weight, 9mm out of it is fairly mild. The fact you enjoy it also tells me you're more likely to go out and shoot with it and that's a big factor with a gun, whether it stays in the nightstand or is carried. I love my compact M&P and its my HD gun, granted I've also got an AR and a couple of shotguns but the pistol is the most accessible immediately.
Old January 13, 2016, 09:24 AM   #23
Independent George

Here's the secret about modern semi-autos: it's really hard to find a bad one these days. It happens (*cough* Remington *cough*), but for the most part, it all comes down tonpersonal preferences.

I started with an SP-01 Tactical (decocker model) for the same reasons you seem to like it: the ergonomics fit my hand perfectly, and I was shooting noticeably better with it as a result. That's great because for a new shooter, who doesn't like being dead on target? The thing is, though, as you get more experience, you'll be able to do the same with pretty much any gun you pick up. Some will still feel better than others, but once you learn to shoot well, you'll shoot well regardless.

With that said, you should really be looking to eliminate bad choices and decide what doesn't work for you. Obviously don't pick one that's uncomfortable in the hand; eventually you'll shoot those fine, too, but you'll be less inclined to practice with it if it's not fun. If it has a safety, any safety you can't easily and comfortably deactivate with ond hand is gone. For me, that eliminated Berettas (though I later found out they could he converted to decocker only, which might have been nice to know at the time...).

If it's DA/SA, can you comfortably reach the trigger to shoot it in DA mode? Shooting in DA is tough, and if you physically can't reach the trigger, it's going to be near impossible to learn properly.

That segues into the eternal striker/safety/decocker debate, to which there is no one correct answer. That takes some explanation, so I'll write it up in a separate post later. I should probably keep a copy on a text file somewhere for all the times it comes up.
Old January 13, 2016, 02:22 PM   #24
JBigs

CZ P09 all day. But! If its not for you then don't get one! So many choices. The p09 simply takes the cake for me, especially when in the FDE like mine.

If you're set in an all metal pistol the sp01 is just as nice, CZ released their 2016 urban grey batch of guns as well. Pretty cool
Old January 13, 2016, 05:05 PM   #25
Fishbed77

Quote:
I have shot a bunch of handguns the last few months and my favorite so far is the CZ-75 SP-01.
It looks like you've answered your own question.