The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 21, 2010, 03:52 AM   #26
ClydeFrog

oils CLPs, cleaning products..

In general I'd add that you do not need to use large amounts of gun oil, grease, lube, CLP, etc.
A little goes a long, long way. I had a small bottle of CLP that I bought in 2004 and I still have a bit left, .
A few drops here & there will keep your firearms ticking.
Old June 21, 2010, 07:41 PM   #27
langenc

Wish I lived near you and you could throw the 'old stuff' my way.
Old June 23, 2010, 12:39 AM   #28
jgcoastie

I think most of us take pretty good care of our guns. I'm a bit OCD about it, but I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing.

For the small amount of time that 99% of our guns will actually be exposed to really harsh conditions; pretty much any oil will do the trick. Because I clean all my guns at least twice a month, regardless of whether I used them or not, I don't personally see the need for a $15 4oz bottle of the "good stuff" so readily promoted by the masses.

I'm with BillCA 100% on this one. ATF works, it does a very good job of cleaning guns, keeping them cleaner than most oils, and is a superior lubricant than the vast majority of "wonder-oils". I mean; you trust this stuff to keep your transmission running smoothly for tens of thousands of miles... Don't you think it'll protect your gun the same way?

Oh, and a 1qt bottle is $4 and lasts for quite a few months. I use a plastic squeeze-sprayer (found in the ironing section @ WalMart) to apply...
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them." -Richard Henry Lee, Virginia delegate to the Continental Congress, initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights.
Old June 23, 2010, 01:53 AM   #29
Glockleprechaun

I use several. I guess it depends. I use Ballistol for cleaning. I use either Shooters choice gun grease, FP-10 or M-Pro 7 for lubrication. All of them work well.
Old June 23, 2010, 03:21 AM   #30
Darren007

I'm a Rem-Oil man myself. Occasionally I'll use Breakfree CLP. I've tried just about every gun oil on the market at one time or another but find myself always going back to Rem-Oil. It's good stuff.
Old June 23, 2010, 05:28 AM   #31
WESHOOT2

drip vs saturate

I bought a 4 oz bottle of BreakFree CLP last century.

I have a ton left (I put some in a neddle oiler bottle available from Brownells).
Old June 25, 2010, 04:53 PM   #32
ttheel

Best I've ever used is G96 Gun Treatment and it even smells good. It cleans, lubricates and provides corrosion protection
Old June 27, 2010, 05:50 PM   #33
shooter1911

Am I the only guy on here who uses Miletec-1 on contact surfaces? That's all I use on all parts that make contact and rub on my 1911s. It actually impregnates the metal parts, and becomes dry which is why our guys in the sand box love this stuff.

http://www.militec1.com/
Old July 6, 2010, 06:12 PM   #34
James R. Burke

I just use Rem Oil.
Old July 6, 2010, 06:37 PM   #35
jmortimer

Use Rem Oil and Kroil (micro) but have also started using Ballistol and really like it. Non-toxic and won't hurt, and in fact will help virtually all gun parts, "lock, stock and barrel." So for now it's Ballistol, Kroil and Rem Oil.
Old July 6, 2010, 07:57 PM   #36
azyogi

I'm with highvel though I do cut my whale oil with 1/3 high speed turbine oil. Seems to stick to my safe queens better giving longer protection. For my carry pieces I use remoil with teflon. My BP guns get a generous coating of bore butter then set out in the AZ sun to cure. You'd think my neighbors would wonder about a ROA, a couple of NMA's, and various rifle barrels and spare cylinders hanging on my clothes line.
Old July 6, 2010, 08:22 PM   #37
Wilkenstein

I use FP-10 for most stuff but will also use slide guide and tetra gun grease on some components.
Old July 17, 2010, 03:02 PM   #38
Straightshooter629

I have used good, old fashioned "3-in-one" for years. It works as well as anything else and it is cheaper than any gun specific product. For heavier applications, such as the slide/rails, I use Pro-Choice's Pro-shot gun grease.
Old July 18, 2010, 07:39 AM   #39
swinokur

Gunzilla. No odor at all and cleans lubricates and protects.
Old July 23, 2010, 12:51 AM   #40
engineermike

I bought some Royal Purple gun oil the other day but have yet put it on any of my guns. It workd great on door hinges and other things around the house. I'll try it out next week.

http://www.royalpurple.com/gun-oil.html
Old July 23, 2010, 08:47 AM   #41
doofus47

PHP Code:
It a lady is not bothered by the smell of Hoopesask her out
So true... Thank God I married my wife before I broght home Hoppes 9.

I use a synthetic gun oil for general cleaning.
I used rock n' roll bike lube to cure a sticky bolt on my Mosin Nagant. It made the bolt work smooth as butter too

Can't go wrong with RemOil, too.
Old July 24, 2010, 02:37 PM   #42
James R. Burke

I just use the old Rem oil.
Old July 25, 2010, 03:44 PM   #43
Hoskins

baby seal oil... nah, Rem Oil is my choice. Has always done me good while forward deployed.
Old August 4, 2010, 01:16 PM   #44
RB98SS

I just recently purchased a gallon of Break Free CLP, I cut the top off the container and just dip my guns in it after I return from the range.
Old August 4, 2010, 01:17 PM   #45
RB98SS

Just kidding.
Old August 4, 2010, 02:16 PM   #46
Loader9

If you are looking for just a good gun lube, FP-10 or the improved version of FP-10, Weapon Shield are both good. If it's a gun you don't use much and want to protect it from corrosion and rust, Eezox is the one for you. Eezox is a diester based lube and will not evaporate like any normal crude based lube. Those of you using a motor oil might like to know that it will come with a decent dose of ZDDP in the formulation. ZDDP contains sulfur and phosphorous which will lead to corrosion. The Mobil One that was a fairly good gun lube was the old Tri-Syn formulation. It was a PAO cP6, Ultra PAO and Polyol ester based lube. The Polyol is what made it work. Todays Mobil One is a Gp III pseudo- synthetic made from crude oil whereas the PAOs are an ethylene gas to liquid technology. The difference in gun oils and other oils is in the formulation. Gun oils will have corrosion inhibitors that a motor oil or any other type of oil may not have.
Old August 9, 2010, 11:16 AM   #47
hooligan1

While in boot-camp we'd scrub em' down with Break-Free CLP and carry those dudes right into the shower with us. I did this only after playing in the sand with my weapon. The mop sink, for the most part, did work well with Break-free, the super hot water would easily clean these rifles to "whiteglove" cleanliness. Now I use Shooter's Choice bore cleaner, Outers Nitro-Solvent, and G96. The G96 is probably the best of them all , and yes it does smell good (bubble-gum). While I was in the Guard, I served on the crew-serve weapons squad, once a year we'd go to Ft. Leonardwood to fire M60's, M2's, M203's, 1911's, M3's. We also had one hell of a cleaning session when we got back!! Gallons of Breakfree clp, I mean gallons of that stuff. Its all good! But stay away from 3in one and WD-40, they tend not to be durable lubricants
Old August 17, 2010, 10:55 AM   #48
10mmMike

FP-10 + it smells amazing
Old August 17, 2010, 12:12 PM   #49
Rampant_Colt

Mobile 1 10W30 synthetic

1 quart of engine oil= $2.99 [synthetic $5]
4oz of Rem Oil, CLP, Break-Free= $5

commercial gun oils offer no advantage over plain ol' 10w40

Hoppe's 9 for solvent
Old August 17, 2010, 12:48 PM   #50
Xfire68

Quote:
Am I the only guy on here who uses Miletec-1 on contact surfaces? That's all I use on all parts that make contact and rub on my 1911s. It actually impregnates the metal parts, and becomes dry which is why our guys in the sand box love this stuff.
Maybe that brand but, no we are using CLP's on our guns. Eezox, Break Free and Miletec-1 are basically the same thing. There are a number of others out there that do the same as these do.