The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 21, 2012, 12:49 AM   #1
Roland Thunder

Dillon 550 or 650

I am getting ready to step to a Dillon press either a 550 or 650. I've been using a Lee Turret press which I just sold.

Would you suggest the 550 or spend a little more on the 650 (it's not that much more and I can afford it). I've heard that each has some advantages over the other. I've heard the 550 is quicker to change calibers than the 650 but the 650 is faster. Don't know if there are any other advantages either way.
Old January 21, 2012, 05:53 AM   #2
GTOne

If it is your first progressive, and you can swing it, and you are used to auto-indexing. Pretty hard to say 550 in that case. The 650 is auto-indexing, so you are used to that. The 550 is a manual-progressive, you have to turn the turret yourself.

Either is a quick chaneover, if you have the extras for doing it fast.

Both are different animals from each other.

I just ordered my first progressive and being pretty much a newb I decided on the XL650, double charging, squibs, easier to do on a 550. Being vigilant is good, no matter what, but....yeah. I wanted auto-indexing, the extra die station will hold an RCBS lock out die in mine.

If you haven't read up at Brian Enos Dillon reloading forum section you should, loads of info.

The 650 is faster, with a case feeder especially. The 550 is fast, also.
Old January 21, 2012, 07:51 AM   #3
Shane Tuttle
Staff

If you've been diligent with your old turret press, I'd say you're more than ready to move up to an auto-indexing press. A bit different and a little more to learn/remember, but it won't be much to get used to it.

650 all the way if you're set on a Dillon. It's a fine press and their customer service is absolutely outstanding.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old January 21, 2012, 07:55 AM   #4
Huskerguy

550 vs 650

My Dillon dealer told me the heads and other parts to change calibers is much more for the 650. I glanced at the prices and it seemed to be true. It looked like the price really shot up there but I would definitely want the auto indexing and the extra station.
Old January 21, 2012, 08:10 AM   #5
amathis

+1 for mentioning Brian Enos. The guy is awesome! When I purchased my first Dillon he walked me through the process and set me up with everything I needed.

The 650 is a very nice press. As I did my research and reading, I decided I wanted an auto indexing press so I could pump out large amounts at a time. I didn't end up getting a 650 though as the 1050B is able to swage the crimped 9mm and .223. Its also a more industrial machine, so it can take a heavier beating. If I remember correctly(paperwork is upstairs) the warranty is only a 1 year warranty as typically small commercial loaders will use these machines and Dillon doesn't want to cover 500,000 rounds a year.
Old January 21, 2012, 08:39 AM   #6
Shootest

Both are fine machines. The 650 is designed to load large quantities of handgun ammo, there are some magnum rifle calibers that can not be loaded on a 650 (no conversion). The 650 also takes longer (and cost more) to change over but, the time is made up during production. Not much can be done about the cost, but with some research many calibers can be loaded by mixing and matching parts. The case feeder is needed for the full production potential. The 550 is designed for loading rifle calibers and is better suited for magnum rifle. JMHO
The super 1050 is just too rich for my blood.
Old January 21, 2012, 09:04 AM   #7
3kgt2nv

I owned a 550house and now have 2 650's I reload in groups of 1000the rounds at a time and the 550car took alot more time. The 650one defiantly is a little more money but does all the pistol and all your high volume rifle cartridges also.

Unless your shoot massive amounts of 375h&h then the 550one might be better
Old January 21, 2012, 09:07 AM   #8
Misssissippi Dave

If you are not planning to add a case feeder of bullet feeder then the 550 might be better. You can still put out a lot of ammo with the 550. Adding the case and or bullet feeders you will be increasing output quite a bit.
Old January 21, 2012, 09:40 AM   #9
Roland Thunder

Can I use my Lee dies (from my classic turret press) with the Dillon or do I have to get Dillon dies?
Old January 21, 2012, 10:46 AM   #10
TXGunNut

Can I use my Lee dies (from my classic turret press) with the Dillon or do I have to get Dillon dies? -GregInAtl

To some extent, yes. I bought my 550 when they first came out and their dies worked best. Today's Lee dies may work OK, worth a try anyway.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old January 21, 2012, 11:14 AM   #11
Kevin Rohrer

This question has been asked here and other reloading sites in adnaseum. Do a search and you will find hours of reading.

Goto the Dillon site. It has a page to help you make your decision.

The difference between the two is: cost, time to change calibers, and control. I had a 550, went to a 650, them went back to a 550.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer

Last edited by Kevin Rohrer; January 22, 2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old January 21, 2012, 12:12 PM   #12
3kgt2nv

I use mainly lee dies. They work fine on the 650 the only thing I would say is remove the oring as you have to screw them down so far the lock ring is off the threads if you leave the oring in. I switched mine out for hornady lock rings which are thinner and the dies have been working perfect for years and about 300-400 thousand rounds
Old January 21, 2012, 01:49 PM   #13
GTOne

Quote:
Can I use my Lee dies (from my classic turret press) with the Dillon or do I have to get Dillon dies?
Absolutely, if you have the shorter Lee dies just put the lock nut on the underside, works fine.
All brands of dies will work in all brands of presses except in a rare circumstance, you aren't likely to ever have that issue unless you have a Dillon Square D(propriatary dies), I don't know of any other brand or model from the modern era that doesn't take the standard dies from all popular manufacturers(Someone in the know more than I might point out others if there are any.).

Yes, Brian Enos site is awesome, there is a very informative page on his site about choosing presses, what every press has or does not have, what you need for what you want to do, and he is more than happy to talk it over with you on the phone.

I bought my 650 through him(same price as through Dillon, except he has free shipping).
Old January 21, 2012, 02:24 PM   #14
Roland Thunder

Brian Enos

If you buy from Brian Enos do you have to go through him for customer service. I would think Dillon might be reluctant to help customers that bought their product from someone else beside them.

What about returns, Dillon will let you return the press within 30 days for any reason.
Old January 21, 2012, 03:50 PM   #15
Misssissippi Dave

Dillon has a no BS warrenty for their presses except the 1050. It doesn't matter where you got it from. Second hand or from Brian makes no difference. The press when ordered from Brian comes from Dillon directly. Not paying shipping and taxes really helps. Brian's site answers a lot of the questions you might have. Dillon's customer service is great. I spent a lot of time going over and over what I wanted vs. what I needed to start loading on a progressive. The 550 finally won out. I still think the 650 is good too especially if you are getting or will be getting a bullet and or case feeder. The square deal is the only Dillon press I know of that doesn't accept standard dies.
Old January 22, 2012, 12:14 PM   #16
BigJimP

550 vs 650 .... 550 manually indexes, 550 does not allow for installation of the powder-check die ( a big deal in my opinion).

Speed of changing calibers on one vs other - is no big deal.

With wrist issues ...to go to manually indexing makes no sense to me / just another motion ...and it slows you down a lot and with no powder check die the chance of a mistake on powder drops increases significantly.

I'd go with the 650.

Where you buy the press is probably irrelevent in terms of the warranty. Dillions people are easy to deal with - even if you buy a used press.

The only reason to have a 550 ...is if you need to reload some of the less common rifle calibers - that the 650 does not have conversion kits for....but in most cases, those kinds of calibers are probably something you'd want a single stage press for anyway ( low volume, etc ). The 650, with a case feeder, and powder check ...does everything I need it to do ---and quickly for 8 calibers....