The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 11, 2012, 10:08 AM   #1
Hoosier_Daddy

Recommendation on Chronograph

I am ready to splurge on a chronograph to see how my 9 mm , 45 ACP, and .308 reloads are working out. Primary use will be outdoors in daylight. Not needing anything for national match accuracy. Looking for an affordable unit with possible options for the future. My complete novice first choice is the Competition Electronics Pro Chrono Digital.
Looking for your recommendations for a first timer.
Thank you.
Old July 11, 2012, 10:50 AM   #2
tkglazie

$70 Chrony from walmart works great for me.
Old July 11, 2012, 11:08 AM   #3
nikdfish

I went the CE route myself with the ProChrono Digital. No complaints, it has a generous shooting area and has performed very well for me. The data transfer capability is handy for record keeping. Another plus is that Competition Electronics will repair/replace it, regardless of degree or cause of damage, for 1/2 the MSRP.

Nick
Old July 11, 2012, 11:08 AM   #4
rclark

I use the F1 Chrony . Nice and compact. Works great for me. After writing down in my notebook with a pencil (my state of the art record keeping device) the string of velocities, I'll take home and enter into a spreadsheet to to get ES and SD, Max, and Min... or anything else I might be interested in.... Then enter the results into my master load development spreadsheet for 'record keeping'.

And you are not 'splurging' . A chronograph is almost a necessity for load development!
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old July 11, 2012, 11:36 AM   #5
PawPaw

I've got an Alpha Master Chrony that suits me well. I like to have the display on the bench where I can see the string develop as I shoot. It takes a nine-volt battery and I always keep a fresh battery in the box that the chrony is stored in. When I start seeing error messages I know to change the battery.

Oh, and one thing about chronographs. There are only two kinds of chronograph owners. Those who have shot their chrony, and those who will shoot their chrony. The folks at Chrony won't laugh at you, and will send out another box tuit suit.

Forewarned is forearmed.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old July 11, 2012, 11:46 AM   #6
mrawesome22

Also have the alpha master. Having the display at the bench is a great feature. Calculates es, sd, high, low, average, if you get an error, that shot can be deleted from the string.

I like it.

Sent from HenseMod6.
Old July 11, 2012, 12:21 PM   #7
David Bachelder

I also have the F1. Not a lot of bells and whistles but it gets the job done.

By the way, I shot mine the first time I ever used it. The shot did not hit the chrony it hit the aluminum rod that holds the sky screen up. Since then I use wooden dowels. I still shoot one every once and a while, but the dowel breaks and doesn't damage anything.
Old July 11, 2012, 12:24 PM   #8
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I have a Beta Chrony. It works fine. It's even taken a bullet or two which narrowly missed its guts and still it works.

If I were buying today, it would be a CED.
Old July 11, 2012, 12:43 PM   #9
tkglazie

Quote:
By the way, I shot mine the first time I ever used it.
I shot mine too. Just hit the back edge of it with my P89. I was just getting back into shooting and had a nasty flinch that would pull every 10th shot or so quite low. I put a nice groove in the top of the eye and dented/bowed out the back edge of the box frame. Luckily the sheetmetal meets right at that point so it was able to give. The chrony still works fine. I leave the bowed out part as is as a nice reminder to focus on my grip and shooting form.
Old July 11, 2012, 01:12 PM   #10
Wyoredman

Hello:

I have the Competition Electronics ProChrono Digital. I like the CE product, it has internal storage for 10 -100 shot strings. It also comes with software that will conect it to your laptop. I have had some problems with the software and MS Vista. I still haven't gotten it to work correctly!

The Chrony itsself is excellent and the price is good also. Customer service seems good, as I shot one of the sky screens and when i called them, they sent me two sets for the price of one replacement! The Chrony seems very consistant, and I have never had any problems with it reading or "seeing" the bullet. People had warned me that bright days may cause the chrony to miss some bullet passes, but I have found that not to be the case. This chronograph has read every shot I have fired over it so far.

If I could get the software to work with Vista, I would give this product a 10. Someone with more computer skills may find the interface set up easier than I do, but eventually I will figure it out. I have given up for now, as it is just easier for me to save the strings in the Chrony memory and them write them down when I get home!
Old July 11, 2012, 01:30 PM   #11
math teacher

I have used the Crony for years both for guns and bows. It works fine even without the sky shield. However don't place it to close to a rifle. I blew out the window with the muzzle blast from my 338. I was able to make my own window to replace it. If I were to buy a new one, I would get a model with a remote screen which eliminates that problem. Even then muzzle blast can cause false readings on most any cronograph if it is too close.
Old July 11, 2012, 03:25 PM   #12
tobnpr

I just bought a Crony Master and used it for the first time this past weekend.
Simple to use, I would recommend it over the Alpha, for the few extra bucks the remote display at the bench, and the fact that it retains memory (Alpha does not) makes it well worth it.
Old July 11, 2012, 03:29 PM   #13
rclark

Quote:
Even then muzzle blast can cause false readings on most any cronograph if it is too close.
They do tell you to set up at least 10 feet away (in the manual) hah . I also put black tape on the uprights to show me the 'window' (again in the manual) of distance above the chrony you should be shooting. Adjust the legs on the camera base that the chrony is setting on until the bench rested gun is pointing between the tape and at the target beyond. Lot of trips back and forth to 'get it right' . Then off to testing.

Quote:
...and the fact that it retains memory
That's what the 'spiral bound notebook' is for . Hah!
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old July 11, 2012, 03:54 PM   #14
cwok

Chrony

FWIW:
If / When I buy one, ease of assembly/disassembly will be very important to me.
I don't have my own range so a Cronograph will be one more thing to carry to and from the 'shooting place' - wherever that is.
Old July 11, 2012, 04:19 PM   #15
WIL TERRY

Hands down, OEHLER.
Old July 11, 2012, 04:26 PM   #16
Wyoredman

OEHLER is top of the line, but so is it top of the price scale. Many other Chronograph manufactures make very good products at a fraction the cost. The money saved can be spent on extra reloading components!

But hey, if you have the dinero and can afford an Oehler, it won't dissapoint (until it takes a .220 Swift round to the body)!
Old July 11, 2012, 07:49 PM   #17
tkglazie

Quote:
If / When I buy one, ease of assembly/disassembly will be very important to me.
I don't have my own range so a Cronograph will be one more thing to carry to and from the 'shooting place' - wherever that is.
I think they are all pretty portable. The chrony, for example, comes in a nice cardboard box about 8x4x3 with all its attachments. The box is rugged enough to use for permanent storage (depending on if you ever get it wet of not)

That does not include the tripod, however. You do not need a tripod but it sure makes it a lot easier. I have a very inexpensive one (maybe $15 tops) that I use just for the chrony. The base plate never comes off of it so I dont have to worry about losing it.

Hey look at that, my price estimate was pretty close. $15.47 http://www.amazon.com/53-Inch-Camera...eywords=tripod Note the removable base plate/mount or whatever you call it. Also has a nice simple bag case, not that I ever use it.
Old July 11, 2012, 09:48 PM   #18
DeadCenter

Another happy F1 Chrony user here.... I have not shot mine... yet.
Old July 12, 2012, 10:18 PM   #19
McShooty

The F1 Chrony is pretty accurate and reliable. If you add the remote switch, about $20, you will get Hi, Lo, Ave, Spread, Std Devn, and all individual shots for a string. Now, who wouldn't want that? The frame for the sky screens is made of 8 pieces of metal rod and six pieces of plastic. So if you arrive at the range with your Chrony in the box you will assemble 14 pieces of junk to attach the sky screens. Now, who would want to do that? Also, a low, crossing angle of the sun will give erroneous results. One day after a 12-shot string of Federal 150-gr .30-30 Fusion my F1 Chrony told me the average velocity was 2640 fps, from my Winchester Model 94. The spread was normal and the std deviation was good, the individual velocities nicely distributed. Nothing to raise suspicion except the average was obviously bull. Checking on another, cloudy, day gave an average 250 fps lower, and much more reasonable. This kind of thing is not unique to the Chrony brand. Chonograph users need to be vigilant.