The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 2, 2013, 02:51 PM   #1
NickW

IMR SR 4759 Help

Does anyone have any published handgun load data or information regarding IMR SR 4759 smokeless powder? IMR website states “This bulky handgun powder works great in the magnums, but really shines as a reduced load propellant for rifle cartridges.” IMR does list load data for a few rifle cartridges, to confuse things further the Hodgens/IMR/Winchester Reloading manual list subject powder in their “Pistol Usage” chart as applicable for medium and magnum pistol cartridges; however, once again there is no load data for pistol cartridges only for a few reduced load rifle calibers. Specifically, I have a few pounds of the stuff and I would like to load .44mag with this powder to save my remaining stock of Tighgroup and Unique for 9mm. Also, I would load 10mm with it too if I could; yet, without any load data from reputable sources I am loath to try it. My Lyman and Sierra manuals only list rifle load data too. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by NickW; February 2, 2013 at 04:41 PM.
Old February 3, 2013, 10:12 AM   #2
Colduglandon

If my memory serves me correctly I read that this powder was used in reduced loads using Kapok as a filler in 30-06. I read this about 30 years ago. I will have to check my old Speer manual. If I find the info I will post it here. Good luck.
Old February 3, 2013, 07:11 PM   #3
SHR970

You'll find one load in the attachment.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf IMR Reloading Data File Rifle.pdf (496.3 KB, 212 views)
Old February 3, 2013, 07:17 PM   #4
GP100man

Here`s a load for lead bullets

I`ve used it under the Lee 150 gr. rnfp

Old February 3, 2013, 07:54 PM   #5
NickW

Thanks guys that will give me a starting point, ya'll Rock!