The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 5, 2012, 04:00 AM   #1
dean1818

AR build optic leupold vs. burris

I have just completed my lower for a 6.8 rifle

For those that have tried either which is your preference?

Leupold VXR 1x4. Vs Burris XTR 1x4

Both are made in the USA

Thoughts? Opinions?

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old September 6, 2012, 01:07 AM   #2
dean1818

Bueller?

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old September 6, 2012, 06:32 AM   #3
Mrgunsngear

What will you be primarily using the rifle for?
Old September 6, 2012, 09:02 AM   #4
HJ857

I have the Burris XTR 1x4 and I like it a lot. Mine is a Gen 1 so the illumination does not show up in daylight, I understand the new version is daylight visible.

It's a true 1X optic and it's very clear but the focus is touchy and you'll need to mess with it a bit to find the best adjustment. The focus ring is a very long throw so a lot of turning makes just a little adjustment.

I like the reticle a lot, it's great for CQB competitions and use it against aimpoint/Eotech shooters all the time and I don't feel handicapped by it at all, but it's a huge advantage if you have to engage longer range or reduced targets.

On the other hand, the reticle is not for precision, so don't expect to shoot tiny groups with it - it's just not fine enough for that.

The bullet drop indicators are just like any BDC reticle, it works more or less. I've had it out to 300 yards and it's workable but not precise. I don't expect precision out of this scope anyway.

I do get to use it in a dark house occasionally, where the only light is your weapon light and in that situation with the scope illumination on - it's fantastic.

This scope has been in the rain a lot and used heavily in the winter and it's held up great. It's been back to Burris for warranty work on the adjustment knobs and they fixed that and upgraded my illumination knob.

The scope wants to be zeroed at 100 yards and never adjusted again and that seems to work very well. For targets between 0-25 yards I hold over Height Over Bore. Once you get used to that, it's real easy and fast to get zero zone hits, if you don't you'll end up hitting well low all the time. If you choose to use a different zero distance the BDC will not work as well.

No experience with the Leupold though. Just as a note though, I also have a Nikon M223 3.5x12 which replaced a Burris Euro Diamond 2.5x10 and the glass on the Nikon is nowhere near as good as either of my Burris scopes, however the Nikon is faster to use and has a better reticle.
Old September 6, 2012, 03:38 PM   #5
batmann

Why not by pass both and go to a Burris AR332? 3X, lightened recpticle, multipul levels of brightness and choice of black (no light) red, or green.
Old September 6, 2012, 07:52 PM   #6
TexAg

So far I really like my TAC 30, and I do find its lighted reticle more useable than the firedot VXR I looked at (and I am a pretty big fan of Leupolds).
Old September 6, 2012, 08:10 PM   #7
Creeper

First of all, as there are variations, the specific scope I'm using for comparison is the #LEU113769 model.

If it matters... as far a "room on the rail" is concerned, the Leupold is lighter and shorter than the Burris. Of course, the additional weight can be attributed the larger objective diameter, as well as the length.

Personally, I prefer the VX-R "Patrol" SPR reticle for close, center mass shots.

C