The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Do guns and lead get a bad rap?
Yes, its not about "Green" its about politics 33 94.29%
Yes, but I dont think its political, its all about the environment 2 5.71%
No 0 0%
No Leads gotta go, dont care how we do it. 0 0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 26, 2010, 06:22 PM   #1
BGutzman

Lead and Guns Unfair Rap

Several groups are pushing the EPA to ban lead's use in bullets. I’m not going to engage the lead dangers debate other than to say it seems like so little science and so much smoke and mirrors.

However what I want to bring to your attention are pharmaceuticals in the drinking water and well water, lake and river water and almost any kind of water you might swim in, bathe in or ingest in any town or city in this country.

Most water treatment plants in the US use literally 1918 settling tank technology that can't remove even 1% of the pharmaceuticals in the water and only a few towns and cities in the entire nation are fortunate enough to have a Reverse Osmosis plant that can remove 99.8% of these chemicals.

The effect of Pharmaceutical chemicals mixed in the water is unknown and unstudied until recently. The studies that were done recently seem to indicate that the effect is that it mentally and hormonally changes men to take on some of the traits of women and vice versa.

Here now is a legitimate issue that far outweighs anything that guns and lead fired from guns could ever produce and yet the average person has heard and knows nothing about it.

Is it just me or is it our "green" movement has a lot less to do with being green or even good science and a lot more to do people trying to get rid of guns and move a political agenda forward that has very little to do with being green.

Im not looking to debate all these things... What do you think? Unfair rap?

Last edited by BGutzman; August 26, 2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old August 26, 2010, 07:14 PM   #2
tony pasley

It is a control issue nothing else, as for lead it is a natural element putting it back into the earth is just recycling.
Old August 26, 2010, 07:31 PM   #3
highvel

Yep, I would think Gettysburg,Antietam, and other civil war battlefields are probably full of frogs with antlers too:barf:

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old August 26, 2010, 08:33 PM   #4
Kreyzhorse

It's about gun control and I believe it has nothing to do with the enviroment.

Banning lead bullets is simply a way to raise ammo prices. If guns can't be banned, the anti crowd can still put up barriers to firearms by attacking the ammo.

Making ammo harder to get through fingerprinting or requiring permits to buy or simply making ammo more expensive by banning a common material will limit those with working firearms.

Call me paranoid, but I think the Brady group is smart enough to realize by banning ammo, they in turn ban guns. Being "green" is just another way to do it.
Old August 26, 2010, 08:53 PM   #5
BGutzman

For myself I think most of the green thing is crap. but the lead in bullets really does seem to be all about politics with very little good science.
Old August 27, 2010, 08:00 AM   #6
horseman308

Of course it's about the politics, and very little good science. That is the M.O. for whatever party is in power - it was very common during the past presidential administration regarding the teaching abstinence as sex eduaction, it was done before him regarding the AWB and other things, and it will be done by whomever comes after the current administration.

People generally, and those in power specifically, tend only to like the science that supports their current belief system, and wish to dispute, ignore (or suppress when it's well-done science) the findings that don't support their beliefs.

Tags
environment , green , guns , law , lead