The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 27, 2012, 06:46 AM   #1
iblong

Hand loading 230 gr.Gold Dot jhp

Ive been loading the 230 gr.XTP"S for my 1911's for quite a while and they give me good accuracy and penitration.I load these with 6.4 gr.Unique and get no presure sign's and just shy of 900fps in my 5". I want to start loading some 230 gr.Gold dot sb. bullets For my ultra carry 3".Do any of you load this bullet and what load do you favor.I will of course reserch and work my load up.But a nudge in the right direction can save a lot of bullets.
Thank's,Bob.
Old June 27, 2012, 07:07 AM   #2
griz

Since you are getting good results with Unique I would stick with that. You probably should back off a couple tenths to start with because that sounds like a max load, but I wouldn't be surprised if you ended up at the same charge.
Old June 27, 2012, 07:33 AM   #3
iblong

Thank's it is what I consider a max load and I worked up to it slowly and have tested it in sveral pistols.The gold dot is quite a bit different in shape and seating depth and would probabally run higher pressue.
Old June 27, 2012, 09:03 AM   #4
rg1

I'd rely on Alliant's data for Unique and the 230 Gold Dot. The plated Gold Dot bullet is different than the jacketed XTP and you don't need the extra velocity to make it expand. Alliant says 6.0 grains of Unique at 1.200"oal. Haven't tested 45ACP Gold Dots but use the 9MM 124 GD.
Old June 27, 2012, 09:12 AM   #5
iblong

I also use the 124 gr.Gold Dot for my 9mm loads and my expantion tests
are very favorable.Not quite as accurate as the xtp but prety good just the same and better expantion.
Old June 27, 2012, 03:52 PM   #6
GWS

That's exactly what I use. 230gr. Gold Dots over 6 grains of Unique. Accurate and safe....in my Kimber Custom II. I might try some Silhouette sometime, for the fact that it's ball powder and powder measures do best with ball powders. But the accuracy I get with Unique will be hard to beat.

I'm loading progressively on a Pro 2000...Uniflow P.M.
Old June 27, 2012, 07:37 PM   #7
zeke

sometimes you need to be careful that Speer's bonded bullets use less powder, due to greater friction coifficient and seting depth.
Old July 6, 2012, 11:13 AM   #8
iblong

Well I made up some gold dots at 6.0 gr.Unique and they work just fine,no pressure signs at all and accuracy was quite good.
I could not crony them as some Ijut shot my crony this spring testing other loads and killed it dead.I tested the expantion and penitration in both wet pack and water jug's and the results were quite good,so I wont push them faster.In water jugs they penitrated to the back of the 5th jug putting a crack in the back of the 5th.In wet pack they went through 8" of compressed
wet paper with 4 water jugs backing it up and were stopped in the third jug.
in water alone they expanded to .75 in wet pack and water the ran.72.
I ran the test 3 times each and the results were the same.
Old July 6, 2012, 05:58 PM   #9
eldorendo

Give 8.5-or-so grains of AA#5 a try !