The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 27, 2010, 07:33 AM   #1
fxh

Hornady Neck Sizing Die Issue

Hello, second post on this forum.
I just bought a used set of 300 wby mag dies (Hornady). The set also came with a Hornady 30 cal neck sizing die. The die set came with no instructions. On the manufacturer's web site I only found the instructions for the two set dies but not the neck sizing die. Can someone point me in the right direction as to were I can find these instructions? While trying to set up the neck sizing die without instructions I collapsed the shoulder on one case. These cases are to expensive to use the trial and error setup method.

Thanks,
fxh
Old March 27, 2010, 02:41 PM   #2
sako2

set up should be the same as full length set up.
Old March 27, 2010, 02:42 PM   #3
Gbro

1st question is,
Do you need to neck size?
I realize that having the die makes it necessary that you know how and why to use it.
Use a neck size die only on brass from the rifle you are going to again shoot the cartridge in.
My Redding Neck sizing die instructions are as follows.
PREPARATION;
Neck sizing dies are used in the same manner as regular full lengh resizing dies. The differences are built into the internal dimentions of the die itself. Visual inspection and cleaning of the cases prior to neck sizing should be preformed and the inside of the necks cleaned with a case neck brush or bore brush to remove the abrasive residue. Case lube should always be used.
ADJUSTMENT;
Neck sizing dies are designed to approximate chamber dimensions with the exception of the case neck diameter itself. Under normal circumstances the neck die is adjusted against the shellholder and the only sizing that will take place is that of the neck. The die is designed so that the case is closely aligned and supported along the body but it will not size the body or move the shoulder position unless the chamber is oversize. If your chamber is oversize or a non-standard wildcat you may find a small amount of sizing taking place which is generally very minimal and can even be considered desirable. Because we hold the tolerances very tight for close alignment case lubrication should always be used.
Special Conditions And Wildcats;
If you have a standard or wildcat chamber that is known to be oversize or have excessive headspace you should follow the recommended method found in the full lenght dies under wildcats.

Your die may have different instructions as this again is Reddings.
let us know more about your progress.
Old March 27, 2010, 02:51 PM   #4
Gbro

I see your neck sizer is very different from mine when I search "hornady 30 cal neck sizing die"

This review is closely related to your problem.
Quote:
John Sandifer of Moore, OK
Date posted: 1/28/2009
I like Hornady products but not this die. Set-up for this "caliber" die is not as straight-forward as for "cartridge specific" dies like Lee and RCBS. To set headspace, you end up buckling a case or two before you get it set. Also, this sizer does not work on 7.62x54R if you want to size to .311. It sizes to .308 so the description notes are mis-leading where is states that it fits 7.62x54R. I don't think any Nagant 91/30 rifles that have come into the country in the last 20 years are smaller than .311! I returned and replaced with an RCBS which sizes correct diameter for 7.62x54R.
So then your die is not adjusted like any other die.
Old March 27, 2010, 03:17 PM   #5
fxh

I have set up lots of full length sizing dies and you definitely can not set up the Hornady neck sizer the same way. What I can not understand is the lack of instructions on the Hornady website.
Old March 27, 2010, 03:39 PM   #6
mrawesome22

Call Hornady and ask them to send you instructions. Bet they'll be in your mailbox in a few days.
Old March 27, 2010, 05:11 PM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

I've never messed with one, but I looked at the picture and can see how it works. Apparently Hornady is trying to make neck sizers that work with more than one case.

To me this means:

Unscrew and remove the expander/decapper from the die.

Put a fired case in the shell holder in the die and run it all the way up into the press.

Insert the now expander-free die into the press and screw it down until it contacts the case mouth.

Lower the press ram.

Turn the die down the length of the neck. Personally, I would turn it down about 0.025-0.050 less than the neck depth so a small step remains in the neck at the shoulder to avoid crushing the shoulder and to help center the neck in the chamber. Try 9 turns of the die and see how that comes out?

Lock the die down and return the expander into place.

Don't forget to lube your case necks. Dipping the mouths into powdered graphite is good enough.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old March 27, 2010, 05:39 PM   #8
jepp2

Hornady instructions

I have the instructions and can scan them if you like.

But it basically is like Unclenick said. By raising the ram with a cartridge in it, and screwing the die down until it contacts the case, you avoid overdoing it. It is very easy to see how far down the neck the sizer has resized.

Then you need to decide just how much of the neck you want to size, when you are done, tighten the lock ring.

Put your decapping/expander back in the die. Without a case in the press, raise the ram, and you can tell where to set it.

Hornady uses the elliptical expander in mine (don't know if your also have yours). To make it smoother, I chucked the expander rod in a drill press, and took some Flitz on a paper towel and polished it. It makes it come back through the neck more smoothly now.

I use mine on multiple calibers, so I just measure and record the position of the lock ring for each, and can return to the same setting without having to adjust in on again.
Old March 27, 2010, 07:39 PM   #9
fxh

That would be great if you could e-mail the instruction set. Thank you for the offer. My whole issue with neck sizing is trying to make my 300 wby mag brass last as long as possible. I will try to follow your instructions and set up my 30-06. Once I get the hang of it I will go back to the 300.

Thanks again,
fxh
Old March 28, 2010, 09:32 AM   #10
jepp2

Hornady instructions

Here they are:

Old March 28, 2010, 02:01 PM   #11
fxh

got it! Thank you again. I already set it up to neck size my 30-06. It work well.
Old March 28, 2010, 04:48 PM   #12
PAdutchman

I use Hornady neck sizing dies in a couple different sizes. First I take some paper white out correction fluid and make a line from the shoulder to the end of the neck on the case. I put the case in the press and run the cam all the way up. I thread the die down until it touches the case neck. I then screw the die down a few threads at a time and run the case into it. The white out shaves down and shows you how far down the neck has been sized. I take it down just before the shoulder and lock the locking ring. You are then ready to go with the rest of your cases.