The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 26, 2008, 10:08 AM   #1
Aqeous

Hunting With Revolvers. I'd like to hear some stories . . .

Well . . . lets here it . . .

http://www.alljohnwayne.com/cowboys7.mp3
Old May 26, 2008, 10:58 AM   #2
shortwave

you ask! friend of mine `i`ve shotgun hunted deer with for years in Ohio switched one year to a 44 revolver. 1st year out, he shot biggest buck in state with handgun. he was proud as buck made hunting mag. and received much bragging rights here. the very next year he was arrested for forgetting to unload pistol before getting into truck and driving home. i took copy of hunting mag. he was pictured in the previous year with his big buck, cut and pasted a doctored up picture of him behind bars, wrote a little article of him getting arrested and put in a copy of mag. wrapped mag. up and sent it to him for his birthday. we all (especially his wife) got a good laugh.
Old May 26, 2008, 11:11 AM   #3
Aqeous

wow . . . thats a real shame.

http://www.alljohnwayne.com/cowboys7.mp3
Old May 26, 2008, 11:40 AM   #4
wyocarp

As much as for anything else I got my permit so not to get hassled while hunting and driving to and from hunting with my pistols.

The first year that I started hunting solely with pistols my son and I were spring bear hunting. He got bored and so I got him to hike with me to a point where we could see up a long draw. It was amazing. We got to the point and at the top of the draw was a black spot. We glassed the spot and it was a nice bear but it was getting dark. I told my son that we could go get him but it would be dark before we were finished skinning him and then we would have a long walk in the dark back to the truck. He wouldn't have it any other way so we took off towards the bear, running where we could. As we got closer to him, I tried to position us above where the bear was last seen. We weren't able to see him for the last couple hundred yards. I was just hoping that he didn't move and that we didn't come over the last rise looking him in the eye. We sneaked up behind a large rock and found ourselves about twenty yards directly above him. As soon as we got in position, the bear that was busy eating jumped up as if something scared him and darted about fifty yards away. I figured that one of us had made some noise. We stood up and moved to the right a little to see that the bear stopped and ran right back to where he was before without even noticing us. Later I figured he must have poked himself in the nose on a cactus. We got back down into position and shot him.

An incredible experience.
Old May 26, 2008, 08:40 PM   #5
HeroHog

Coon hunting with a model 10 S&W

My dad and step brother were talking about my shooting ability and bet that I could coon hunt with dads old Model 10. Next thing ya know, off to the duck farm where dad worked we go. I had the .38 and my brother had the 12 ga. and the light. Tommy never got to use the shotgun.

I don't have NEAR enough ammo on hand. `Nuff said.
Old June 1, 2008, 03:52 PM   #6
Jack O'Conner

This cow elk weighing approx. 500 lbs was taken with 357 MAG. First shot was fired into the chest at about 50 feet. Second shot struck farther back and did not hit chest organs but ripped the diaphram and tore a thumb sized hole in lliver. This animal galloped about 150 yards before toppling over.

Is 357 MAG ideal for elk hunting? NO.

Does this cartridge kill at least as well as compound bow at common archery distances? YES.

Jack
Old June 1, 2008, 04:31 PM   #7
Sky Pilot

Ohio deer season, hunting on family land.
Pre-season scouting told me the path skirting a crab apple thicket was one of the main deer routes.
I set down with my back against a thigh sized tree about 25 feet from the path.
I fell asleep. It was a nice warm day.
Something came up the path with all the stealth of a Jersey cow. I woke to the sound thinking someone's beef cow had got out.
It was a six point with a small rack.
When he passed behind a tree I grasped the Redhawk in its shoulder holster, and froze as he came out from behind one tree; I drew when he went behind a second, and had a dead steady rest on both drawn up knees.
At 25 feet I put one round through his atria.
Don't ask me the names I called myself for taking a deer on the wrong side of the swamp and having to drag it through some unpleasant terrain.
Old June 2, 2008, 05:10 PM   #8
.300H&H

This might be regarded as 'heresy' or 'opportunism' instead of hunting,
but what I like about a revolver - is that I can 'hunt', but I'm not obligated
to carry or shoulder an 8lb. rifle...so if I decide to concentrate more on hiking, climbing,and exploring or photography...I'm not hampered by a long gun... My hands are free, and the revolver doesn't get in the way of things.
It's also a lot easier to go fishing with a revolver than with a rifle.