The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 3, 2006, 11:59 AM   #1
GON2FAR

Need advise on a daily carry holster for 1911

I need a good holster for daily carry of a full size 1911. I want the following features included....strong side carry, no top strap, closed end or at least protection for the full length of the slide if the end is open. Past that, Im pretty open. I was reccomended the UM Kydex Paddle style, and for as cheap as it is, Im gonna try it for a while. But I really like the look of leather. Concealment is not necessary, as I can carry non-concealed in my line of work. But I have to wear it all day, every day, comfort is paramount. Thanks guys.
Old September 3, 2006, 12:59 PM   #2
jrklaus

Consider a Bianchi 100 Professional IWB holster, perhaps?

http://www.bianchi-intl.com/product/...TxtModelID=100

There are a number of other manufacturers who make something substantially similar in IWB or OWB.

Good luck!
Old September 3, 2006, 02:37 PM   #3
tegemu

You would be hard pressed to beat a Brommeland www.brommelandgunleather.com , for your purposes. A really good, high quality, comfortable holster, one of the most popular. Do a search on "Max Con V."
Old September 4, 2006, 07:46 AM   #4
WESHOOT2

my advice is

Comfort will be personal.
See if there is any way you can 'test-wear' a holster before buying.

IWB is not as comfortable as OWB.
Crossdraw rigs can be comfortable for sitting.
Thumb-break holsters are most definitely a great thing for non-concealment needs; suggest examining that possibility (because experience teaches guns can fall out of holsters).

I use Galco Yaqui Slides and a Royal Guard, Sparks 1AT, Uncle Mikes Kydex Belt Holster, and a couple oddball holsters for oddball needs.
I like a fanny pack, too.

There is only "Best for you".
Old September 4, 2006, 12:48 PM   #5
rhino

If you're looking for a good bargain (suggested by the UM kydex), you may wish to consider the Blade-Tech injection molded belt holster. It's a very good holster regardless of the price (better than the UM) and for $15 on their web site, it's the best bargain going. They'll get it to you in about a week too. www.blade-tech.com
Old September 5, 2006, 05:38 AM   #6
spyderdude

I carry my 1911s in a Blackhawk CQC holster on my belt. I throw on a button up shirt that extends well below my beltline, and it doesn't print at all.
Old September 19, 2006, 02:57 AM   #7
moose fat

I like leather too.
I have settled on my carry mode and weapon of choice and unfortunatly leather is not an option, yet.

But when I was seriously searching I really liked Kramer rigs in horsehide, the MSP or ARG.

Also I have two El Passo Saddlery holsters, lots of options for leather work. The Street Combat has no top strap/thumb break. Depends on your activity level, and like WESHOOT2 says.

Browse around the net. Do a thread search and find the thread by "krang" he did a thurough holster maker list.
Old September 19, 2006, 12:06 PM   #8
Wildalaska

To me, after 25 years of carrying various pistols, nothing beats Galco for price and quality.

WildalltherestarealsoransAlaska
Old September 23, 2006, 04:42 PM   #9
bigsam

Comp_Tac Gurkha, comp_tac.com, is excellent for Kydex. Very short turn ariund. For leather there are good ones above. Turn around is 4-6 wks on most high quality holsters. miltsparks.com, mitchrosen.com, tuckergunleather.com, Better turn arounds, w/ quality. usgalco.com donhume.com kramerleather.com.
happy hunting.
Old September 23, 2006, 08:11 PM   #10
CDH

One of the best for 1911 OWB carry: http://www.highnoonholsters.com/Prod..._NFS/_nfs.html

While the design is "open muzzle", it totally encloses the muzzle. You want the bottom of the holster to be open so that dirt and lint doesn't build up inside. http://www.highnoonholsters.com/_Que...en_muzzle.html

Carter
Old September 23, 2006, 11:16 PM   #11
OJ

I have USED Milt Sparks, Kramer, and Mitch Rosen - all of which are quality leather holsters and comfortable for me. Personally, I prefer thr Rosen ARG but, YMMV.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER
Old October 5, 2006, 05:01 PM   #12
Greg_Dunn

1911 OWB pancake.........

I presonally like leather over kydex, but will carry in a kydex paddle from time to time, especially if its just to run to the store and back. But for all day carry I use leather.

My Evolution series

2 1911 holster sets and a G17/22/31 set.

Handcrafted concealment leather for the working man
Old October 5, 2006, 05:44 PM   #13
Glockamolie

I think I'd pony up for a name-brand leather holster. I like Sparks and Alessi (not to discount any of the other quality names out there), both of which you can buy at www.lightningarms.com. I'd probably go for an Alessi CQC/S or a Sparks #60TK. But, if it were me carrying out in the open, I'd want a thumbbreak.
Old October 5, 2006, 07:07 PM   #14
tony pasley

check out www.gunnersalley.com to get an idea