The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 16, 2001, 02:05 AM   #26
Romulus

Roger. And I'll make sure there's enough peanuts and corn skins for your eager pickin', Speir...
Old May 16, 2001, 05:10 AM   #27
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

MD DOC tried out some of those S&W 3000s,ca 1980-83, Dean. They didn't hold up under prison conditions. I noted at the time that they worked very well when kept clean and lubed, but did not when neglected, ignored, and abused by non motivated, lackadaisical and sub standard personnel.

Besides the variants you mention, we had some with full length magazine tubes. All the ones we had functioned well with double feeds. 'Bout the same time we started to get in Flextabbed 870s.

If I had bought one of the S&Ws when they were surplussed out, I might still have it....
Old May 16, 2001, 10:46 AM   #28
Doc Hudson

Dean,
Thanks for the info. the only S&W shotguns I've handled were the semi-autos. According to the owners, they were not up to the A-5's league in reliability. Never had a chance to check out the pump guns.

As for the rifles, aren't these the same ones Weatherby, and later Mossberg inported under their brand? Is Howa still bringing them into the US?

Doc Hudson
Old May 17, 2001, 10:23 AM   #29
Dean Speir

Doc Hudson asks:
Quote:
As for the rifles, aren't these the same ones Weatherby, and later Mossberg inported under their brand? Is Howa still bringing them into the US?
As I've already said, someone is still bringing the Howa Models 1500 in… they're too good to not bring in.

And yes, they once made rifles for Weatherby.