The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old April 10, 2015, 10:31 AM   #1
sfwusc

Question about log book

I hope this is the right forum.

I got an SKS from Royal Tiger Imports. I need to know if I list them as the importer/manufacturer in the log book? I think they are --- based on the stamp on the barrel, but it is hard to tell.
Old April 10, 2015, 12:58 PM   #2
noelf2

It's not that big a deal. If that's stamped on it, enter it in the bound book. If it's not correct, it's no big deal. You logged it the best you could, and nobody will give you grief over it.
Old April 10, 2015, 02:36 PM   #3
emcon5

The format listed in the "ATF Federal Firearms Regulations Reference Guide, 2005" which was in the packet of crap you got when you first were licensed says "Manufacturer and/or importer", so if you know both, put both.

For example, I have a Mosin Nagant, I know from the markings where it was made, and I know from the import stamp the importer. I entered it in my book as

Quote:
Tula Arms Plant,
Imported by IO Inc.
My "Bound Book" is actually a 3-ring binder, and I have tabs in the back with a section for each entry with all the supporting info.
Old April 10, 2015, 04:28 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

The purpose of the import stamp is to have a starting "trace point" for guns (mostly milsurp) where the manufacturer is unknown or will be unable to provide shipping info to a licensed dealer. The importer's records will provide that starting point for a forward trace.

So, the importer's name and address is the information BATFE wants; Tula sure can't tell them which American FFL dealer they shipped the gun to.

Jim