The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 21, 2014, 02:24 PM   #1
bedbugbilly

50 cal TC "Scout" - question on rifling - anyone have one?

I've got a lead on a nice little Thompson Center (TC) "Scout" carbine in 50 caliber. Thought it might be fun for something different in a front stuffer. I'm not familiar with the barrels though . . can anyone advise me as to what the "twist" is in these?

Is it a "slow twist" for patched round ball or a "fast twist" for conicals?

Can patched round ball be shot out of these with somewhat decent accuracy?

I know these aren't what you would call "traditional", but it looks like it might be a fun little rifle. I'd rather use patched round ball but if I have to, I can get a mold to shoot conicals if that's what shoots best?

Thanks for any info you can provide - greatly appreciated!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 21, 2014, 02:31 PM   #2
Pahoo

1:38"

Quote:
can anyone advise me as to what the "twist" is in these?
Your twist should be 1:38" and QLA.
Quote:
Is it a "slow twist" for patched round ball or a "fast twist" for conicals?
Sabots might be your best bet but conicals will work fine. PRB is not entirely out of the question but not the best performers. ...
Quote:
I know these aren't what you would call "traditional",
Well, not really; "In the Spirit" but that's not really why you want it. ...
One important point, is make sure you can still get that special nipple/plug assembly and make sure yo can be happy with the side-vents ....

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; July 21, 2014 at 02:37 PM.
Old July 21, 2014, 03:30 PM   #3
bedbugbilly

Thank you Pahoo - greatly appreciate the info.

I checked earlier and T of the W still carries the replacement stainless breech plug/nipple. If I wind up with this, the first thing I'll do is order several from them so I have them.

Greatly appreciate the information!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 21, 2014, 04:11 PM   #4
bedbugbilly

Pahoo - am I correct in that the design of the "side vents" is to act as a "pressure release" so that there isn't "hammer blow back" when fired?

I would imagine this would be somewhat "akin" to hot gasses expelling out of a flintlock vent hole?
Old July 21, 2014, 06:51 PM   #5
Pahoo

Yes and to meter the vent. ???

Quote:
Pahoo - am I correct in that the design of the "side vents" is to act as a "pressure release" so that there isn't "hammer blow back" when fired?
Yes but also to "Meter" and vent the pressure to be more consistency from shot to shot. In actual practice, not sure if it lived up to the expectations and how does the average shooter make that measure. ....

As you've noticed, it has a "unique" nipple/plug construction. There is a typical ignition vent or orifice and then side vents. .....

Be Safe !!!