The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 1, 2013, 08:51 PM   #26
Sevens

Oh yeah, he's a new guy here that we like to knock around a bit, but his early passion in this game is Smith & Wesson revolvers, so all parties know & agree that this is all in good fun.
Old June 2, 2013, 10:20 PM   #27
AID_Admin

Keep joking, I am writing your names down! I am also practicing is silently sneaking up from behind at 21 FT distance

Old June 2, 2013, 10:39 PM   #28
Sevens

Man, you found a good looking revolver.

It's not my intention to mess with your productive groove, so turn your head away and do NOT read this next paragraph to avoid corruption!

Okay, I see that you are reading anyway!
Just wanted to say that if you polled a LARGE number of Smith & Wesson revolver-philes, you'd find a very large portion of us just don't care for the feel of original OEM Target walnut issue stocks on the revolvers of this generation.

They look pretty darn good, in my opinion. They put them on a slew of K-frames and all of the early L-frames, my 686-3 (1989) came with them also.

I yanked them off before the revolver fired it's first ever shot. Back in the 80s, everyone was enamored with the Pachmayr Gripper rubber grip. Colt even put them on King Cobras and Pythons! So that's what I fell in love with in my formative years and I still love them, though they are as dated looking as a "Flock of Seagulls" hair style.

There's a zillion options for grips and it can be tough finding something different if you don't find them already attached to K-frame you can hold in your hand for "feel."

But my point is that many, MANY folks shoot K-frame Smith & Wesson guns better, when exactly those stocks yours is wearing (and looking great with) are tucked away in a shoe box of unused gun parts.

I'm sure a -LOT- of folks do awfully well with 'em just the way they are, and I've got no struggle with that, either. I actually kept 'em on my Model 17-6. Nostalgia has value, too.

Smith & Wesson has since gone to a grippy, greasy and swoopy looking Hogue monogrip. I can admit that this grip feels nice in my hand, but it's wretched looks make me wanna upchuck. It's like looking at my favorite 80's era Pachmayr, but while I'm tripping on acid. But they feel pretty good in the paws.

Anyhow, I'm glad you didn't read -ANY- of that, because you are shooting pretty well with the original walnut Target Grips, so everything is good to go!
Old June 2, 2013, 10:58 PM   #29
AID_Admin

Indeed it's a good thing I did not go past the first line of your previous message.

I was shooting rental revolvers for over six month or so before I bought this one. I loved the way these wooden grips looked, but they felt so weird at first I wanted to take them off immediately. However I had no other grips handy and because I practice dry firing daily I left them on until I would on the range next time and compare them to the grips on the rental guns to make an intelligent choice. Well, by the time I got on the range three or four days (and a couple hundreds of dry fire shots) later I already got use to these grips and decided to leave them on the gun.

However, now I have a second chance. Due to prohibitive cost of ammo, which we already discussed in another topic I just bought a Model 17-5 6" barrel from mid 80's. It should be almost exact copy of this gun, but .22LR which will save me a ton of money on ammo. This gun is still en route to me, but and it's fitted with a Hogue monogrip. So, I will have a chance to do a comparison again and see if Hogue will improve my accuracy.

P.S. I did actually shot a S&W with a Pachmayr grips! I found Pachmayr a little too big (wide?) for my hands. The grip was a bit uncomfortable compare to Hogue. Now, I don't know if Pachmayr made more then one size and the one I tried was just wrong for me.
Old June 2, 2013, 11:19 PM   #30
Sevens

Quote:
I just bought a Model 17-5 6" barrel from mid 80's.
Awesome! Just predates my prized K-22 by a bit. I hope it's as good to you as mine has been to me.
Old June 3, 2013, 12:16 AM   #31
SgtLumpy

Quote:
I did actually shot a S&W with a Pachmayr grips! I found Pachmayr a little too big (wide?) for my hands. The grip was a bit uncomfortable compare to Hogue. Now, I don't know if Pachmayr made more then one size and the one I tried was just wrong for me.
Pachy makes three styles of grips. The "professional" series are the thinnest, and they leave the backstrap of the revolver uncovered. That's the style I like on K frames.

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 3, 2013, 10:19 AM   #32
Sevens

Those seem to be the hardest to find, in my experience. (making sure to note that most of my grip shopping is from USED grips at gun shows) My buddy likes those best as he's got small hands and shorter reach and that style of grip is definitely an advantage in reach.
Old June 3, 2013, 10:52 AM   #33
g.willikers

Here you go, AID, until .22 ammo shows up on shelves again.
http://www.crosman.com/airguns/pistols/3576W
Old June 3, 2013, 11:02 AM   #34
AID_Admin

Quote:
Here you go, AID, until .22 ammo shows up on shelves again.
Oh, cool, a Python... or is it a DW?! ... Nah, I actually have almost 3000 rounds of .22LR stashed at my friend's house. What I have a problem with is finding an inexpensive .38 Special...
Old June 3, 2013, 11:31 AM   #35
DPris
Member Emeritus

I can't deal with those factory grips, never could.
They ALWAYS got removed.
So many better choices that actually fit my hand.

AID, if they work, stick with 'em, but understand they're far from the best available, and there are other wood alternatives, you don't have to go with rubber.

I have a set of Pachmayrs on my old .45 Colt Smith & Wesson duty gun that work well on the N-Frame, I have a couple wood Hogues on others, and Craig Spegel wood on still others.

I've found different styles can work better on different frames & calibers.
But- those S&W woodies work well on exactly NOTHING for me.
Denis
Old June 3, 2013, 01:15 PM   #36
Grant D

I've tried others, but always go back to the stock target grips.
I even have a set of fake ivory target grips on my 2 1/2" Model 66.

On a side note, when I first moved to Houston in the 70's, there was a H.P.D. Officer standing in front of me at the bus station that had a copy of his badge on the butt of his S&W Model 29, it looked pretty cool.

At that time in Calif. all the Police carried 38 specials.
I asked the officer about his 44 mag,and he said they carried their own firearms, and could carry pretty much what they wanted to.