The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 4, 2012, 07:33 PM   #1
9mm

My first 1911 + mod and question on slide over hang.

My slide over hang is Let me correct myself, it is 1mm not 1/10th of a mm.
. How much is to much?
The gun locks up dead solid, no jiggle or wiggles.
So happy.

Also its stamped NM so its America made?
Springfield armory mil spec SS model.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01281.JPG (131.7 KB, 196 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01282.JPG (138.3 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by 9mm; September 4, 2012 at 08:14 PM.
Old September 4, 2012, 08:02 PM   #2
Creeper

Assuming this is a shiny NIB gun... it means is that SA considers that variance between slide and frame to be "acceptable".
If it really drives you nuts, a good 1911 'smith can belt sand that down to a dead smooth match and re-glass bead it. Me? I'd call or e-mail them and ask their opinion... and I'd really love to hear what they have to say if you do.

It used to be with Springfield Armory that, even though the frame and slide were still made by IMBEL, the N or NM meant a hand fit and finished in the US gun... where a slide/frame fit variance, such as the one shown, would not be acceptable.
What it's suppose to mean these days... not a clue. Perhaps someone will post with a more "current status of SA" response.

C
Old September 4, 2012, 08:14 PM   #3
9mm

Let me correct myself, it is 1mm not 1/10th of a mm.
Old September 4, 2012, 08:18 PM   #4
Creeper

No biggie... the photo is pretty self-explanatory in that regard.

C
Old September 4, 2012, 09:16 PM   #5
HKFan9

I'd say that is fairly common with the Mil-spec model... it is not meant to be anything near a match grade 1911. It was a price point firearm.

I have sold Colt's, Kimbers and other Springfields that have looked the same.

Really it shouldn't make a difference in performance. My old personal mil-spec wasn't as sloppy... but you said it yourself.. it works just fine, you pay for what you get is generally what I tell people.

I am sure Springfield would say the gun is acceptable... then again they do have amazing customer service.. so they might take care of you... how? I have no idea, I have only sent back guns to them (for customers not any of my own) that were mechanically not functioning right.

I am sure someone will be along to tell us about how their Colt would never look like that however.

I've owned, shot and sold low end beaters to high end near works of art in the 1911 platform.. really you pay for what you get, doesn't make it a bad gun however if it serves you well.

Also NM means it was assembled in the US... but it's a Mil-Spec model... so its still a parts bin gun.. Not much if any hand fitting going on.

As far as a more current status... I spoke to SA last year when they were sending me my Champion Operator I ordered through their Pro Staff... and I asked about rumors that they were sending all the business to Brazil. The rep laughed and said yea he hears that a lot to, but he told me recently they have been assembling more 1911's in the US in the recent years than in the past.

I don't know the truth to it.. but my Champion Operator showed up and it is a NM gun.. with an extremely good fit. I could honestly not be more pleased with that firearm. I almost want to buy a second one so I have one to keep nice and the other one to abuse.

Last edited by HKFan9; September 4, 2012 at 09:24 PM.
Old September 4, 2012, 11:12 PM   #6
Bamashooter

I dont know. It looks like crap to me. I would expect more from springfield but then again maybe not. Hell, even the guns from turkey are put together better than that. Hey if you dont mind Im sure springfield doesnt either.
Old September 5, 2012, 05:13 AM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

To me that amount of mismatch is unacceptable on a new pistol. It's cosmetic only and shouldn't affect function, but not even the inexpensive Philippine brands leave the factory looking that bad.

Made in the USA? No -- ALL Springfield's slides and receivers are made in Brazil. The NM marked pistols are assembled in the U.S. using parts imported from Brazil. I know technically they are within the law, but to me calling that "Made in USA" is a lie.
Old September 5, 2012, 07:32 AM   #8
drail

We need to differentiate between "made" and "assembled". Words mean things. And Americans need to get used to the idea that if something is built to high standards of quality and priced at a level where it is affordable then it doesn't matter where it was made. I was raised in a time when "Made in USA" meant it was the best (or at least very very good). That time is long gone. Accept it.
Old September 5, 2012, 08:08 AM   #9
Don P

My parkerized Mil-Spec is a little off at the back of the frame, and also is a NM serial number. No problems to date and the gun is 7 years old and roughly 5-7000 rounds through it.
Nothing to worry about, shoot it and shoot it some more
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old September 5, 2012, 08:35 AM   #10
Tactical Jackalope

Oh knock it off. It's fine. Don't worry about it.
Old September 5, 2012, 09:49 AM   #11
Dashunde

I wouldnt have taken that one home. Very sloppy.

Even if they're just parts bin picking during assembly that combination should have been separated. Lazy.
Old September 5, 2012, 10:21 AM   #12
dgludwig

I wouldn't fret about it. The barely noticable "overhang" should have no adverse affect on the functioning of the pistol. I have a SIG 1911 that has a similar (but not quite as big) overhang that is pretty much perfect in all other respects. It's one of those things that takes time and effort to first notice but once noticed that's all you seem to be able to see. In time, you'll never see it at all.
Old September 5, 2012, 10:25 AM   #13
HKFan9

I don't really get why people are so upset over this.... I have seen similar from almost every standard producer... even Colt. I'll see if I can take a few pics when I am back behind the counter in the next few days of various 1911's.

These aren't match grade 1911's people. Plus the issue here is purely cosmetic.

I guess people tend to forget why the 1911 was designed... and why old Colts have a nice rattle to them that would otherwise be unacceptable to today's standards for the 1911.

I have no problems with wanting a solid match grade 1911 I own a few.... but then you shouldn't have even bought the Mil-Spec to begin with.

I say you like your gun.. it functions well... shoot it, and be happy. Clearly it wasn't that bad since you bought it from the gun shop before noticing.
Old September 5, 2012, 11:05 AM   #14
RickB

Colt used to do the finishing at the back, to blend the slide, frame, extractor and ejector after the gun was fully assembled, and that's why they matched, not because the parts were somehow magically the exact fit. For $600, you can't expect that sort of work.
Old September 5, 2012, 09:26 PM   #15
Kreyzhorse

Congrats on the gun. It does appear to be a bit sloppy but it shouldn't effect the gun's function in any way. Personally, if you can live with it, I wouldn't worry about it. If it does bother you, call Springfield, they might have the best customer service in the industry and see what they say.

NM does mean the gun was assembled in the USA.
Old September 5, 2012, 09:44 PM   #16
9mm

If it doesnt cause function then I am happy, but I will still call and see if they will fix it, still not nice on a brand new gun.
Old September 6, 2012, 10:43 AM   #17
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
If it doesnt cause function then I am happy, but I will still call and see if they will fix it, still not nice on a brand new gun.

I hope you mean if it doesn't cause malfunction*? Unless you're into paper weights. lol

OP let us know what you do!
Old September 6, 2012, 11:03 AM   #18
KyJim

Did you see this particular pistol or did you order it sight unseen over the Internet? Frankly, if you could inspect the gun before buying it, then it's all on you (assuming it functions fine). If you ordered it over the Internet, it's a closer question but I would shoot it before deciding whether to contact SA.
Old September 6, 2012, 02:39 PM   #19
9mm

Quote:
I hope you mean if it doesn't cause malfunction*? Unless you're into paper weights. lol
Yes thats what I ment lol....

Quote:
Did you see this particular pistol or did you order it sight unseen over the Internet?
Bought from my LGS, I had no idea 1911's had problems like this, as my first one. With revolvers I always check for losse/sloppy cylinders. I didn't think a gun would have "slide overhang" My Glocks, Sig, Beretta, don't have these problems and did not know autos had tihs.

All I did was check for tight lock up in the frame/slide, via shaking it. There was no rattling, unlike some of the other guns I held, Ruger SR1911, Colt! and a few others.

It's still a very nice gun, I wanted a no frills/thrills 1911 anyways.
Old September 6, 2012, 02:42 PM   #20
Tactical Jackalope

Rattling isn't a bad thing by the way.

They do that for more reliability.
Old September 6, 2012, 02:44 PM   #21
9mm

Quote:
Rattling isn't a bad thing by the way.

They do that for more reliability.
Ah.. Well still this isn't a "combat 1911" nor did I want one of those. I did my research and found Springfields to be good guns for the price range and lifetime warrenty/some of the best CS out there.
Old September 6, 2012, 02:49 PM   #22
Tactical Jackalope

I like my tight and smooth (calm down) 1911's too. The SIG XO and SA Mil-Spec are just those. The Colt's rattle about. Both equally accurate.

Out of the three manufacturer brands of 1911's I have though, SIG has been best. SA ignored me a few times. -___- Colt is good, just take forever to respond. SIG was on the situation like white on rice.

Again, just my experiences.

Post more pics!!!
Old September 6, 2012, 03:34 PM   #23
Coltman 77

Bamashooter:

Quote:
I dont know. It looks like crap to me. I would expect more from springfield but then again maybe not. Hell, even the guns from turkey are put together better than that. Hey if you dont mind Im sure springfield doesnt either.
It looks like crap to me too. I wouldn't accept that low level of quality.

I'd get in touch with Springfield, send it back and let them make it right.

Good luck.

Protect our 2nd Amendment Rights -- Join the NRA
Old September 6, 2012, 07:56 PM   #24
orionengnr

Since it is your first 1911, I will not (as some others have) blame you for not seeing it before you took it home.

You were excited over your purchase, had full faith in Springfield's reputation, and were looking to get it home or to the range. Many of us have done something similar.

I am not as sanguine over Springfield 1911s as some are. In fact, you could say that I am oh-for-three, and not likely to try a fourth time.

That said, I would contact Springfield and ask them to have a look and fix it.
Of my three, the first went back twice befiore they replaced it. The replacement went back twice (and once again by the guy who bought it from me). Yes, they paid shipping and threw in a free mag here and there, so I will give them a B+. Third one I just sold at a loss with full disclosure.

To re-iterate, I am not bashing Springfield, especially their CS. But IMHO, their QC has a way to go.
Old September 6, 2012, 08:54 PM   #25
Skavatar

sounds like its more of a cosmetic/aesthetic issue than a function issue.

although i've read some negative reviews on Kimbers before i bought mine, mine was perfect, both fit and function.