The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 1, 2012, 11:27 PM   #26
Red Dog

Deer nachos???
Old January 1, 2012, 11:41 PM   #27
bamaranger

dirty trick

I belonged to a deer lease for 10 yrs or so that had quite a few box blinds and elevated shooting houses. There was much competition to get into the spots that had a reputation as productive. As usual, there were some bad sports and folks who did not play well with others, and sometimes words flew and tempers flared.

For personal amusement, anytime I strolled past a blind/shoothouse, and it was empty, I would toss in a spent case or two.
Old January 2, 2012, 12:37 AM   #28
warbirdlover

Quote:
I belonged to a deer lease for 10 yrs or so that had quite a few box blinds and elevated shooting houses. There was much competition to get into the spots that had a reputation as productive. As usual, there were some bad sports and folks who did not play well with others, and sometimes words flew and tempers flared.

For personal amusement, anytime I strolled past a blind/shoothouse, and it was empty, I would toss in a spent case or two.

bamaranger
This lease is a "family" deal. The only reason I got on is my brother who is married to the sister of the guy that runs the lease. Others are his brother, son and friend(s), my brother and myself. Only six of us hunt the 120 acres and if someone doesn't follow our "rules" he's out. One guy who was on for two years is gone because there is no "walking around" allowed which screws up the natural deer movement for everyone and no one else comes along, at least with a rifle. He brought his son with his rifle and said only one would should a deer on the land which didn't fly with us and his son couldn't sit still all day so they wandered around screwing up everyone else's hunting. They even built a blind where they wanted to which doesn't fly. There are six blinds and the newest ones in on the lease take the lowest producer unless someone wants to keep the one they have. My stand has always been one of the best so I lucked out getting it when getting in on the lease. In any case the guy and his son are gone. We had another new guy this year and he followed the rules. We all walk in together at 5:00 am (opening is at 6:30 am about) and drop off as we go by the stands. We're all set by 5:30 am which gives the woods time to settle down again. Coming out at quitting time we reverse the process. Anyone oversleeps and doesn't make the schedule waits until noon to walk in.

Last edited by warbirdlover; January 2, 2012 at 12:43 AM.
Old January 2, 2012, 12:53 AM   #29
Hog Buster

“For personal amusement, anytime I strolled past a blind/shoothouse, and it was empty, I would toss in a spent case or two.”

Bamaranger ain’t the only one who ever did that. The bunch I hunted with several years back were always raising hell about someone hunting their blinds. Little did they know that I was tossing empties in whenever I passed. Being a reloader I had many different caliber's to choose from, some fairly exotic. I even tossed a 50BMG case in one. The guy that hunted it talked about finding it for years.
Old January 2, 2012, 07:36 AM   #30
youp

I like the blind...if you would pass GPS coordinates I would be happy to stroll by for lunch....have you considered swapping spent brass for food?
Old January 2, 2012, 08:19 AM   #31
TheNatureBoy

I like it. I've seen worse. Two come to mind on one of the pieces of property that I hunt on. I would camo it up a little bit and lower the rest so that I could sit vs standing when I shoot (personal preference). As far as camo is concerned I would include some pine banches if they are around. They last a little while longer. Leave it in place. The deer will get used to it. I agree with mo84. Outdoor hunting definitely aint what its cracked out to be. Although I make fun of the two blinds I mentioned at the beginning of this post, I use them at every opportunity.

Last edited by TheNatureBoy; January 2, 2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old January 2, 2012, 09:59 AM   #32
shortwave

Quote:
I like it. I've seen worse.
No doubt!

Have hunted out of everything from a foxhole in Tenn. to a out-house that was on an old abandoned farm site in KY. Many years ago, I got invited to W.V. to hunt with a buddy of mine and his relation. His Uncle owned a couple hundred acres outside of Beckley(sp?).
Since I couldn't get down there till after dark and season opened the next morning, I didn't get a chance to see where I was going to be hunting.
Being the hospitable type most in W.V. are, I was given the uncles fav. tree stand. That night,my buddy told me his uncle must have liked me cause he loved that stand an didn't give it up for anyone. I felt special.

The next morning, well before daylight , the guys dropped me off at my stand.
Not being able to see well, I climbed 30'-35' on what seemed to be an unstable ladder to a metal lawn chair that was affixed to the tree.

When the sun came up and I could see, I was afraid to move. The metal chair was about 50yrs old, rusty and the frame was cracking everywhere. It was chained to the tree and parts of the chain were embedded in the tree. Needless to say,it had been up there for a few years.
The ladder I had climbed was two very old, wooden, rickety ladders, chain together and attached to the tree with ropes that had dry rotted some 10 yrs ago.

Needless to say, I couldn't sit up there and enjoy the hunt so I lowered my rifle, picked out a good landing spot and proceeded down the ladder....ladder cracking with each step.

I get on the ground, look up and this chair is actually leaning from the frame being twisted and rusted in two.

At noon the fella's showed up to get me and the first thing the Uncle proudly says is "what do ya think of that stand, that chairs comfortable huh?"

"That's a fine one, great location" was my reply as not to offend him.

Later, I was telling my buddy that I was worried his Uncle was going to fall out of the thing and just how bad a shape everything was in. We went in town and got a new metal chair, aluminum ladder and burned the mid-night oil putting it up as a surprise for his Uncle.
I was worried how his uncle would take this and was relieved to find out that he had been wanting to replace the set-up but didn't think he could do it by himself. He was the kind of guy that wouldn't ask anyone for any help.
Old January 2, 2012, 10:51 AM   #33
Mr Dish

Laughed my "A" off.
Old January 2, 2012, 11:44 AM   #34
Sgt.Fathead

I'd sure like a butterscotch milkshake! Looks great to me. The few times I've hunted were still hunting from a treestand (Brrrrrrr!) or a gound blind, which was warmer and more comfy. Hope you have a great season!
Old January 2, 2012, 11:52 AM   #35
warbirdlover

I don't stand up to shoot. I've got a tall swiveling bar stool I sit on. That chair story sounds like the previous stand I replaced. It was only up 15' or so, chained to a tree. Sides were stapled on. If you fell against them they'd open for you to drop to the ground. The wind HOWLED through that stand and if you've ever hunted in the cold from a high spot where the wind can get you you'll be frozen quickly. It was a disaster. The location is in an oak woods on rolling hills and this is one of the highest hills. There's a little stream about 150 yards away which is the lot line. The bucks tend to run along that stream and come up by my stand. Or go from behind me toward the stream. They've even come down the dirt path that goes by my stand. You don't have to be up high to get a deer. I like that solid feeling of EARTH beneath my feet. If I could have a small cabin up on a super, sturdy frame with "stairs" going up I'd sit up high. Otherwise, no chairs chained to trees for me!!

Last edited by warbirdlover; January 2, 2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old January 2, 2012, 12:07 PM   #36
warbirdlover

Here's my old stand (check out the urinal!) and a view of where I've shot 2 bucks and let a number of others go through. First year (opening day) on the lease I had over 60 deer "pouring" over that hill like ants coming out of an anthill! Groups of does with a buck with them. It was thrilling to say the least.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oldstand1.jpg (109.6 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg deadlyspot.jpg (222.1 KB, 53 views)
Old January 2, 2012, 12:23 PM   #37
jimbob86

Quote:
Sitting in a blind or on stand is the only way you'll get a deer in Wisconsin.
Because something is difficult for you (or me) does not make it impossible.

Still hunting is an art, and though I am not good at it, I have done it, and killed a deer doing so...... It is HARD, though.

If you prefer sitting in a blind, great.

If that were my blind, I'd have painted it before the snow flew, to keep the wood from weathering ...... some plywood comes apart pretty quick when exposed to the elements..... water is the closest thing to a universal solvent.

As for the roof- If you put some pitch to it, snow would not melt and pool on it.... it would last longer.
Old January 2, 2012, 03:59 PM   #38
warbirdlover

I'll revise this...

The only way to get a deer in "central" (west to east) Wisconsin on down is to sit in a blind (unless on private land)....

Where would you still hunt in Wisconsin other then the big forests in the northern part of the state? There it could be done if you get back in far enough. And the wolves don't get you...

If you still hunt on public hunting land (other then these forests) you'll **** off the other hunters on stand. That are 100 yards or less from each other.

I LOVE to walk and when I used to hunt up in the northwestern corner of Wisconsin would still hunt. I love it but can't do that anymore. Especially on snowshoes!
Old January 2, 2012, 04:30 PM   #39
jimbob86

Quote:
If you still hunt on public hunting land (other then these forests) you'll **** off the other hunters on stand. That are 100 yards or less from each other.
If they are that close, I suggest 24"-36" of sandbags around your blinds ..... and a K-pot ..... 12" of overhead cover would not be excessive, either.....

Different worlds, I guess.

I usually still hunt the same 1/4 mile of wooded creek bottom ..... it is not over 75 yards wide at any point.... and in places is less than 20 .... not a lot of ground ...... if it takes me less than 2 hours to cover that, then I'm going to be making too much noise to see any deer. I suprise them sometimes...... sometimes they suprise me.....
Old January 2, 2012, 04:41 PM   #40
Kimbertron

I will take a butterscotch shake please
Old January 2, 2012, 04:54 PM   #41
buck460XVR

Quote:
Sitting in a blind or on stand is the only way you'll get a deer in Wisconsin.
Quote:
Because something is difficult for you (or me) does not make it impossible.

No sittin' in a blind is not the only way to get a deer in Wisconsin, still hunting still works well as do deer drives when done safely. But.......on small woodlots with lots of hunters(as in 6 guys hunting 120 acres) it is one of the safest ways. Even in heavy woods and steep terrain, having safe shooting lanes is difficult when folks are so close together. In hilly terrain, even if you can't see someone, don't mean your bullet won't hit them as it drops over the hill. Knowing where every other hunter is(or supposed to be) is the key. This is the same as deer drives.

Sitting on stand is classic Wisconsin whitetail hunting. Squattin' over bait ain't. Folks gettin' upset with hunting partners and kickin' them out of the hunting party because they thought they contributed to their lack of success is almost as common. Used to be you hunted with friends and family for the camaraderie first, meat second and horn last. You tolerated their shortcomings and they became the brunt of deer camp jokes. Kids were expected to get cold and bored and start wanderin' around, that was part of the indoctrination. They also kept the deer moving on your parcel or area, and the neighbors kids across the fence did the same. Now, it's all about gettin' a deer, and God forbid we drive it over to the neighbors. Family and long time friendships don't mean nuttin' compared to gettin' ol' mossy horns. Don't get me wrong, safety is one thing and I'm all for it. But I long for the old days when hunting was fun and memories were made, even when you came home emptyhanded. Those days when an old timer took his huntin' time and mentored you instead of kickin' you out of the group, just cause he thought you mighta blew his chance at a deer. It amazes me at the close of every deer season how many fights and arguments between friends and family has occurred over a dam deer.
Old January 2, 2012, 05:17 PM   #42
freenokia

lol @ "no loitering" haha
Old January 2, 2012, 05:22 PM   #43
jimbob86

Quote:
Now, it's all about gettin' a deer, and God forbid we drive it over to the neighbors. Family and long time friendships don't mean nuttin' compared to gettin' ol' mossy horns. Don't get me wrong, safety is one thing and I'm all for it. But I long for the old days when hunting was fun and memories were made, even when you came home emptyhanded. Those days when an old timer took his huntin' time and mentored you instead of kickin' you out of the group, just cause he thought you mighta blew his chance at a deer. It amazes me at the close of every deer season how many fights and arguments between friends and family has occurred over a dam deer.
That's sad ...... it's supposed to be fun .....

There were times this fall that I laughed so hard it hurt .... the 30+ minute riffing my brother and I did about "Scotty-n-Steven", two bucks we ran into that were more concerned with each other than the guys with the rifles .......
Old January 2, 2012, 05:37 PM   #44
2damnold4this

Nice pics.
Old January 2, 2012, 06:01 PM   #45
Jo6pak

That's a great photoshop. Nice to see we don't all take ourselves too seriously...like "real" hutners do

Maybe you should offer acorn, mineral pies, and soybean sandwiches to really bring the deer in

My deer stand is a pile of logs and brush with an old lawn chair in the center. Maybe I need to upgrade.
Old January 2, 2012, 06:47 PM   #46
buck460XVR

Quote:
That's sad ...... it's supposed to be fun .....
Ain't it? All over a dam deer. I help teach hunter safety and I always make a point when I see past students of mine to ask how their hunting has gone. It's depressing to hear the amount of negative experiences these new hunters have had, and it's primarily while deer hunting. For example, one young hunter whose dad does not hunt, took the course because his uncle said he could hunt with them. He shot a small 8 point buck on opening day and then what should have been a celebration turned into a azz chewing and a chastising, and ended up with the young hunter being told he could no longer hunt there. All because the youngster's buck was a few inches short of being within the rules of a "shooter" imposed by the other hunters on the property. The other hunters were other uncles and cousins. This was this 12 year old's first deer.
Old January 2, 2012, 11:54 PM   #47
warbirdlover

Just so everyone knows, I didn't make the rules on this leased land but it's the first time I've had a really fantastic place to hunt deer in Wisconsin in my whole life so I follow them. I'd love to walk around etc and just enjoy the woods but that's not how it works here. So I won't disagree with you at all, just understand that I'm obeying the "law of the land"!!
Old January 3, 2012, 12:12 AM   #48
jimbob86

WBL, buck460- I shall count my blessings, and having places to hunt is high on the long list ...... "I bitched about my shoes until I saw a man with no feet...."

And thanks for doing the Hunter Ed work, buck .....
Old January 3, 2012, 12:38 AM   #49
rtpzwms

warbirdlover just a couple of thoughts, it needs the MickieD type sign "over 100 deer shot" or if you don't like that a bambi stamp to mark kills under the windows!

Just gotta love the Rodney's...
Old January 3, 2012, 12:48 AM   #50
warbirdlover

I like both those ideas! Since I'm a World War II fighter plane nut (hence my nickname) I'd go with the stamps under the window I think!