The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 27, 2009, 06:03 PM   #1
dmxx99

Egyptian Maadi AK for $600

I saw an Egyptian Maadi AK for $600 in reasonable condition at a gun shop next county over from me should I grab it or no?
Old February 27, 2009, 06:04 PM   #2
Wildalaska

Preban?

Run, don't walk.

WildortellmeAlaska ™
Old February 27, 2009, 06:10 PM   #3
Creature

I was under the impression that Maadi are among the worst quality AK's on the market.
Old February 27, 2009, 06:14 PM   #4
jesus5150

Quote:
Creature said;
I was under the impression that Maadi are among the worst quality AK's on the market.

That's weird, I heard the exact opposite. From pricing i'd assume they were pretty nice, i've been seeing them exclusively in the $900-$1,100 Range.
Old February 27, 2009, 06:24 PM   #5
KLRANGL

cant tell you much, other than what ive read:
http://www.ak-47.us/Egypt.php

Quote:
Maadi is a good AK varient... They are stamped receivers and it is said, they are as close to a Russian AKM as you can get. They are made in Cairo on actual Russian equipment.
Old February 27, 2009, 09:10 PM   #6
Creature

At least that's what I picked up from lurking the AK forums before I was going to buy an AK.
Old February 27, 2009, 09:24 PM   #7
lipadj46

I think it depends on the rifle itself. Some Maadi AK's are the closest thing to a russian AK you will find others could give a Century AK a run for it's money for the "most likely assembled by a monkey" award. They need to be looked at in person first to see which you have.
Old February 27, 2009, 09:28 PM   #8
Creature

....you mean "monkey"?
Old February 27, 2009, 09:29 PM   #9
lipadj46

yeah that would make more sense...
Old February 28, 2009, 08:27 PM   #10
dmxx99

Well I drove 30 miles to the gun shop to find out they are out to a gun show even though it was a normal business day so I drove 60 miles for nothing and will have to wait till monday.

I will call them on Monday and ask if they have it in stock so I dont drive 60 miles again for nothing.If they dont have it I will acquire a Sig or some other good handgun at a local shop instead since I dont have many handguns at all.
Old August 16, 2010, 11:50 PM   #11
deveece

I have a maadi ak and i can't find a mag to work in it. Everyone I try the shells get caught at the tip stopping them from sliding in the chamber.The mags fit the shells just wont go into place. Can anybody help me please?
Old August 17, 2010, 04:08 AM   #12
bamaranger

careful

Watch out for MISR-90's.

MISR's were Chicom/Norinco parts, assembled on a Maadi receiver. Frankenov's. The early ones, are likely the most hated of AK's.

Now, they can work out just fine, I have one and it runs like AK's should. I did some 522 (r) work on it and it runs and looks great, But it is not a true Maadi.

I am not an AK guru, but watch for this. My MISR -90 is stamped same, very faintly near the muzzle. They also have the characteristic Norinco thumbhole /stock with the funky butt pad. There are other tell tales, having to do with how the bbl is mounted to the receiver, but I am not savvy enough to describe it correctly. All the MISR's will have the bayonet lugs and muzzle brakes removed. Not sure about that on good Maadi's.

Some good Maadi's have a modified thumbhole type stock, but nothing matches the funky MISR/Norinco clunker.

One of the AK sites does a good job of sorting out, good and bad Maadi's.
Old August 17, 2010, 04:10 AM   #13
5RWill

Quote:
I'm betting thats the reason for Wildalaska's "Run, don't walk."
Old August 17, 2010, 05:26 AM   #14
briang2ad

Just 4 years ago, you might have been able to get a MAADI for $300-350 at a gun or pawn shop. They had a thumbhole stock and were crude.

You can get a decent AR for $700-750 right now - why even look at a mediocre AK for $600. People are getting ripped off on AKs right now.

If you want a decent AK for under $500, look at a Century YUGO.
Old August 17, 2010, 09:24 AM   #15
WaywardAce

Deveece ........ hold the rifle by the mag when you charge the first round. My WASR does the same thing. Wrap your hand around the mag and hold the rifle by the mag with your left hand and charge with your right hand. Once you do that, hopefully everything will work like normal. The mag isn't seating into the mag well very tightly. Once the first round is chambered and fired, you should be ok.
Old August 17, 2010, 10:08 AM   #16
Scout

I had a Maadi AKM back in the mid 80's that was a real sweet rifle. Very well made and rock solid. It was the best of the AK's that I've had, followed by the Norinco, which was a decent rifle also.
Old August 18, 2010, 12:22 AM   #17
bamaranger

more

Yeah, I'm think'n there were three levels of Maadi AK's imported.

Genuine, pistol gripped AK's made on Russian machinery.

Modified thumbhole stocked AK, same machinery, tweaked to meed import laws.

The MISR's, .....Maadi receivers w/ chicom parts.

Some searches will sort it out. The MISR are hit or miss, some are very bad,
mine does OK, w/ some plumbing done on it.
Old August 19, 2010, 09:16 AM   #18
hank327

Steyr Maadi

If the rifle in question is one of the Steyr Maadis then it is well worth over the asking price and the reason for Wild Alaska's "run, don't walk" comment.
In the 1980's Steyr imported Maadis in the original AKM configuration. It looked exactly like a 1970's era Soviet AKM and as it was built on Soviet supplied machinery it was the closest you could get to a real Soviet AKM. It was also one of the very first AK pattern rifles to be imported into the US. As a result it was quite expensive for the times. I remember looking one over at a gunshop and lusting over it. I didn't buy it as it was a little more than I could afford. One other factor that persuaded me to not buy the Steyr was the ammo situation.

Back then 7.62X39mm ammo was very hard to find and very expensive. At this time, about the only rifles in the US chambered for 7.62X39 were SKS bring backs so there really wasn't any demand for ammo in that caliber. IIRC, about the only ammo available was Lapua from Finland (very pricey) and Winchester, Remington were just starting production with high prices. The flood of ChiCom ammo and rifles had not started or was just starting.

The other Maadi rifles other than the Steyr ones are not even close to being as nice and I wouldn't pay 6 bills for one.
Old August 21, 2010, 12:25 AM   #19
bamaranger

yup

Hanks's got it.

The good Maadi were the Styer.

The next generation were not as good, they had the modified pistol grips.\

The worst were the MISR-90 mixed part numbers.

I'd buy a WASR /romanian type or similar before I went w/ an MISR these days.

Retail are still less than $500 in my area for WASR's.