The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old February 14, 2009, 03:57 PM   #1
dadams868

Splurge on GunBroker.com what should I get.

I recently fell upon $2000 from a Stock sale. Either way that doesn't matter... BUT I want to spend some, if not all of that money right now. Im browsing GB.com, but I really have no idea what to get. So i pose this question to you- IF you were going to spend up to 2,000 today, what would you splurge on? ANYTHING is fair game. I may also get an EOTech red-dot for my AR on the side, so thoughts and opinions on that are more than welcome.
Old February 14, 2009, 05:23 PM   #2
chuckles

Buy a nice Marlin 39A, a few bricks of .22 ammo, bank $1500 and enjoy the heck out of it. Or buy a dedicated 22 upper like a Spike's Tactical for your AR, a bunch of ammo and bank $900. JMHO

ETA: WOW, 100 posts in almost 4 years. real active poster.
Old February 14, 2009, 05:29 PM   #3
Voyageur

I'd invest in un-barreled bolt actions. I'd love to have a few more Sakos to build into custom rifles. The last one I had I chambered in a long throated 280/06 that approximated the old .285 OKH. I shot 165 grain bullets in it and it was a wonderful shooter. Some customer from Alaska talked me out of it and I regret being so weak.
Old February 14, 2009, 05:38 PM   #4
mtrain

475 Wildey. Ive always had a thing for those pistols, in fact I had the certified check in my hand to send for the W when a friend asked me to stop by the gun store. There I spotted a S&W 500 and went with it insted, but I still want a Wildey..............
Old February 14, 2009, 05:49 PM   #5
Chui

Go to CDNN and purchase several Fabrique Nationale SPR bolt action receivers... You can build/have them built into remarkable rifles. They are only $350 each.
Old February 14, 2009, 05:56 PM   #6
New_Pollution1086

Give us a little info about what you already own, and what type of shooting do you like to do.

T
- T. Boone Pickens
Old February 14, 2009, 06:06 PM   #7
Swampghost

I'd like to have a few more Marlin levers, maybe a new Mini in 6.8 or a brand spankin' new Weatherby Mark V Accumark in either .240 or .257 Wby. Mag.

The way that things are going I'd spend some of it to get back into reloading.

I have no idea what you'd like.
Old February 14, 2009, 06:20 PM   #8
onehitwonder

I do the same thing about twice a year. one time I buy a rimfire pistol a pump shot gun and a scope for something. the next time I buy a nice browning n scope n some reloading things. then the next time I'll buy two or 3 pistols maybe a couple autos n a revolver. hell you could buy a 10-22 fix it up to the max or even a mach2 custom gun. or both. I'm about to buy 2 savage rifles with nikon scopes n a 45 acp baby eagle for about 1500. thats my sickness. can't decide what to buy. may spend it all on reloading equipment.
Old February 14, 2009, 06:27 PM   #9
Big Bill

If I were you, I'd get into cowboy action shooting. You'll need two revolvers, a shotgun and a lever gun that are pre 1900 accurate replicas. For example, that would be two Ruger revolvers in .45 Colt, a 12 gage side by side or pump action, and a Marlin 1894 .45 lever gun. Then with the money you have left over, get some reloading equipment, if you don't already have some.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr
Old February 14, 2009, 06:51 PM   #10
dadams868

Right now I own a beautiful National Match M1 Garand, a plinker of a .22 and a Bushmaster M4. I mostly do target shooting around my ranch, but I also like the occasional hog hunt or whatever else may be in season. Im not a huge deer hunter but I've been a few times. Though I don't think I go enough to make it worth purchasing a new long rifle. I was thinking along the lines of maybe an M-14. I saw a pretty sweet looking NRA model on GunBroker.
Old February 14, 2009, 07:32 PM   #11
RT

A DSA Paratrooper FAL with a 18 inch barrel.
Old February 14, 2009, 07:40 PM   #12
Gunfighter123

Hello,
It's hard to go wrong on a M1A Or MAYBE invest in some AK-47 type rifles ----- if another Ban gets passed ,the high prices of today will look like a bargin tomorrow