The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 6, 2000, 12:20 PM   #1
Vee

I have a Kimber Pro Carry with 500 rounds through it. During the last 200 rounds, the slide has failed to lock on the last round on several occasions. I have read postings where other Kimber owner had similar problems. I have used Kimber and Colt/McCormick Shooting Star mags and still have the problem. Only the Wilson mag has been trouble free. During manual opeation, I observed if the mag follower does not move forward, it will not catch the slide lock.

Being new to 1911's and autos, I am not sure if other problems may exist. Thus, I have three questions.

1. If I limp wrist the last round, will it prevent the slide from locking back?

2. Do I need to replace the slide stop as some have suggested?

3. Do I need to return it to Kimber?

I want to keep the Kimber so guys--don't tell me to trade it in--itis extremely accurated.

Please advise.

Vic

------------------
Old February 6, 2000, 03:58 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Vee, you don't need a new slide stop. Just either deep six the shooting star mags completely or change followers. One of the drawbacks of the shooting star design is the follower. They can be very difficult to adjust. I would simply get some Wilson or standard GI followers and replace the ones you have. George
Old February 6, 2000, 04:19 PM   #3
Vee

George,

Thank you for your response. Please advise where I may locate the the GI followers. I believe I can find the Wilson followers at their website.

Vee

------------------