The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 27, 2016, 04:16 AM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Shot-shell loaders from Lee.

Even though I don't shoot my shotguns often, I'm tempted to get set up in case I do start as shells are not cheap.

Locally, I can buy the Lee Load-All. I'd need 12g and 16g and I know that design allows for an adaptor so, all prices being equal, which is the better option:

A 12g Load-All with a 16g adaptor kit or the 16g Load-All with the 12g adaptor kit?
Old June 27, 2016, 06:50 AM   #2
briandg

Firstly, would you think carefully about the cost of reloading materials vs the shells that you want to replicate, both for cost and probable quality?

How much does powder, primers, wads, and even the 25# bags of shot add up to?here in the states, if you are shooting ordinary target loads or small game, you're going to have trouble breaking even until you go through what would in my case be many, many years.

You really shouldn't even start looking at presses until you do a cost analysis, and then think about the labor, accessories, boxes, and so forth that you need to have.
Old June 27, 2016, 07:12 AM   #3
Pond, James Pond

Well, I do enjoy reloading, having been doing it now for about 4 years for my rifles and revolvers, but yes, cost is an issue.

However, with recent geopolitical developments here in Europe, I worry about current costs rising and perhaps access to components changing as well, given the whole risk to the EU economic area.

All the same, as a question of principle, does it make any difference if I get a 12g press and 16g adaptor or vice versa?
Old June 27, 2016, 07:41 AM   #4
FITASC

I'll disagree on reloading costs. I buy components in bulk and my reloads cost me right at $3.50/box. I reload 3/4oz in 12 and 20 - costs less, less recoil, targets break just the same. Loading a full 1oz costs me just under $4. Cheap factory stuff is right at $6
I had a LLA decades ago. Very quickly moved on to a MEC. If they are available where you are, you'd be better off going that route. The LLA is zinc pot metal and plastic, the MEC is steel. The LLA has no ability to adjust wad depth, pre-crimp or final crimp whereas the MEC (and other quality machines) do.

If 16 gauge ammo is as scarce where you are as it is here, then reloading will also save you a lot more money AND you'll be able to load for your particular needs.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 27, 2016, 07:51 AM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

James's Euro-economics will differ from our market. Different regulations on lead will be adding a different cost element to shot, for example.

As to the conversion kits, it is six-of-one, half dozen of the other. The Load-all frame is the same in all gauges, and so it the base, so the conversion kit turns your 12 ga Load-All into an actual 16 Ga. Load-all and vice versa. If there is no price difference to either arrangement where you are, then get it in the one you want to start loading first, and get the adapter for the one you want to work on second.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 27, 2016, 08:25 AM   #6
briandg

You will hear a lot of people arguing that reloading is actually much cheaper than buying, but I stand by what I said. Components aren't as cheap as you hear. Presses, even the elementary mec is $200, and a change of dies is about $100 If you go through a hundred shells every week or so, it will turn over to profit in a year, maybe.maybe even sooner. If you load steel or other crazy cost ammo, it's going to pay for itself much sooner.

If you are shooting nothing but simple trap loads, basic loads that can be had at lower prices in the us, reloading components and equipment won't return savings for a long time, unless you go through them by the case.

But, as I said already, if you are planning on shooting more specialized loads, or your situation is very different, I'm not going to try and guess what your costs will be. Just a wad and primer here will cost about 1/4 of the cost of a complete $5 box of basic target shells.

You are the only one who can judge what the cost level is. run an accurate price comparison between identical handloads and your preferred rounds, with all of them you plan on using.

IMO, you should go ahead and try it, if you can afford the initial startup, don't mind spending the price of bulk comonents, can find them easily, want to do it, all of the other conditions. You are completely right that there are conditions where you are that aren't applicable here, and they may get volatile soon.

Myself, I wouldn't touch the lee with a four foot cleaning rod. That's just me, you'll hear plenty of people who think I'm utterly stupid for saying that.

My mec is great, but the early mec didn't allow for changing dies, and I no longer own a 20. I now just buy shells as I need them, as just the press and startup costs would reach $300+. I do suggest that you get the conversion set at the same time, and if you think you will ever own a 20, just go ahead and pick it up at the same time.
Old June 27, 2016, 08:36 AM   #7
FITASC

Quote:
Components aren't as cheap as you hear.
Lead is the major cost now, but buying in bulk (even if you do it by going in with friends) brings the cost down. Used MECS are available for half the cost of new. Changing from one gauge to another IS a PITA, but buying two used, set up, you're GTG.

And yes I used to shoot a decent amount of shotgun (15,000 a year), but have slowed that down some recently.

IF his price where he is for 16 is as crazy as here (and as scarce for variety), reloading will definitely be cost -effective.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 27, 2016, 09:00 AM   #8
briandg

There is no question that the cost of 16, if he runs through a lot of that will pay off very quickly.

lead shot comes at $2 a pound in single bags at midway, more at stores. That comes to about $3 a box for plain field loads. Even damaged, mixed size recycled shot collected somehow from ranges costs $45 per bag.

At 15k rounds a year, you are probably paying as much as a golfer! between a club, greens fees, and the cost of balls, funny hats and weird looking shirts, pants and shoes, not even counting the 19th hole, those dudes spend more on a year of golf than some people do on their mortgages!
Old June 27, 2016, 09:52 AM   #9
FITASC

If you are buying things from Midway (especially shot at $2/lb) you're paying WAY too much...................

I've cut back to about 10K/year....................... (Momma wants some more $$$$ in the 401K)
Old June 27, 2016, 09:58 AM   #10
FITASC

dupe post
Old June 27, 2016, 11:04 AM   #11
briandg

I dont buy shot, midway and graf are just the two places I go to find a typical price, not discounted or giveaway prices.
Old June 27, 2016, 11:12 AM   #12
Mike Irwin
Staff

The big question is...

Should you buy one Load All and a conversion kit...

Or one Load All in 12 gauge and one in 16 gauge?

What's the price differential?

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old June 27, 2016, 11:16 AM   #13
briandg

If I bought a lee press I'd buy two of them anyway so you could have a spare if one went down. If you will have to drop about $100 for a converter, it may make sense just to buy another press, but again, just my opinion. Many others will think that this is a really stupid idea.
Old June 27, 2016, 11:28 AM   #14
BigJimP

My costs to reload ...compare with what FITASC said...( and shot makes up about 60% of the cost of a shell ).

I reload because I like the process ...and I like customizing my shells to exactly what I want...for velocity, amount of shot, etc...

-------------
Lee Load All -- is not a quality loader in my opinion ...I believe you'll be much happier with a new or used single stage Mec press..../ and if you really want to load a significant number of shells ( where you shoot 6 - 8 boxes a week ) then go to the MEC Grabber model ( its their entry level progressive machine, but manually indexes)...but its a solid press / portable, easy to store. The better press in their progressive line is the 9000 GN ...auto indexes, etc / unless you're a high volume shooter, and have room, don't go to the hydraulic 9000 HN ( and the elec Auto Mate..has a lot of quirks ).

But buying a Lee Load All - in my view, is a big mistake.
Old June 27, 2016, 11:35 AM   #15
KEYBEAR

Use Mec Loaders are to be found more than ever with the price of lead at close to $40 a bag . I see a 650 jr often for sale .

In 1969 a 25# bag of shot was less than three bucks .
Not to long ago I bought lead shot for $12.00 when buying a ton at a time .
Old June 27, 2016, 11:40 AM   #16
briandg

When i once saw shot at grafs with a 5 percent discount for full pallets, I have to say that I nearly wet myself. it would have cost nearly as much to deliver it than it did for the shot at the time

An entire pallet of shot. I thought that that must be group buys.
Old June 27, 2016, 11:50 AM   #17
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
The big question is...

Should you buy one Load All and a conversion kit...

Or one Load All in 12 gauge and one in 16 gauge?

What's the price differential?
The press is about €80 and the adapter is about €30, so buying both is more expensive, not to mention the fact that space is a premium at home, so ideally, I'd go with one press and the adaptor...
Old June 27, 2016, 12:32 PM   #18
T. O'Heir

Reloading isn't about saving money. Even with shot shells it's about using the best possible ammo.
Only thing that might give you a lot of grief is finding 16 ga. hulls and wads, locally. Hulls are made by Fiocchi. Midway, Stateside, wants $15.79US per 100, so they're not expensive there. Ditto for wads. BPI wads run $6.99US(6.34 EU) per 250(or fibre wads are $10.49US, (9.52EU) per 500). No idea what you'd be paying wherever the top of the Baltic actually is.
The press is usually the least expensive part. Usually more about the time and effort it takes to find components. 16 gauge stuff isn't everywhere any more.
Old June 27, 2016, 01:08 PM   #19
FITASC

16 is more prevalent in Europe than here. Hulls are easily obtained from factory ammo...

Even with space at a premium, you will lose the space to the conversion set anyway. Two presses, each mounted on a separate board which can be clamped or otherwise attached to a bench helps alleviate space issues.
Old June 27, 2016, 01:31 PM   #20
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
Even with space at a premium, you will lose the space to the conversion set anyway. Two presses, each mounted on a separate board which can be clamped or otherwise attached to a bench helps alleviate space issues.
Actually, that would be 3 presses. I have the LCCT too, and the Lyman Gen 6 dispenser. All on a bench that will be about 4' wide.

I can see the appeal, but I think, for the amount I'm likely to reload, the adaptor kit can stay in a bucket draw underneath.
Old June 27, 2016, 01:42 PM   #21
jmorris

I am with the folks that say add up the costs before you start buying equipment.

I have a few 366's, MEC's and LMC shotshells presses but unless I am loading something "special" there is not a lot of savings.

There used to be more insentive when "bargain" price factory shells used a plug of cardboard for a wad, but these days even the cheap stuff is pretty decent.
Old June 27, 2016, 06:19 PM   #22
briandg

Regarding handloading, everyone has his threshold of screwititaintworthit. My father bought one, a d I think that it would be fair to say that he used it for far less than a thousand rounds.

I read an article once by a guy who was looking for spreader loads. He bought sheets of lead, then used a paper cutter to slice it into strips and then cubes. There are very few people around who would actually do this, as it had to be unbelievably time consuming.