The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old July 1, 2014, 09:42 AM   #1
Lt. Skrumpledonk Ret

Investarms Hawken Percussion FTF Fix

The first half dozen times I shot my new .50 Hawken it worked fine. Then the cap would fail to detonate on the first try consistantly. We're talkin' Winchester #11's. I would really push the caps on hard with the hammer, to no avail. I entertained the idea of getting a bigger nipple, cap arrangement. Then I started to snip the cap skirt vertically with a pair of small snippers. Problem solved.
[Bang, cough] not: [Click, curse, cock, bang, cough]
Old July 1, 2014, 10:06 AM   #2
Pahoo

Good find !!

Quote:
Then I started to snip the cap skirt vertically with a pair of small snippers. Problem solved.
It's entirely your call but you should not have to work that hard to resolve your problem. It's good that you defined a cap to nipple fit problem. Because it's a new rifle/nipple, sounds like your cone taper is a bit tight. If nothing else, try polising the cone surface. Also make sure that your cone walls are straight and trace of a mushroom head. Then again, you could just replace the nipple. ......

Good luck and;
Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; July 1, 2014 at 02:17 PM.
Old July 1, 2014, 02:39 PM   #3
Lt. Skrumpledonk Ret

Work that hard?!?!
I've added a 5 second 'adjustment' to a loading process that takes nearly five minutes (when the Comanche aren't shooting back)
Old July 1, 2014, 03:00 PM   #4
Hawg

Quote:
a loading process that takes nearly five minutes
What are you doing, casting your own balls between shots? Loading from a powder horn into a measure and then into the bore and cutting patches at the muzzle doesn't take half a minute. If was me I'd take the nipple out, wrap the threads in tape, chuck it up in a drill and hit it with a file. Not much filing, just enough to dress it up a bit.
Old July 2, 2014, 12:02 PM   #5
Hellgate

I would also consider a larger cap like the Remington #10 (yes, the #10 will swell easier than the Winc/CCI#11) to fit the nipple. If the Remington #10 isn't a better fit (too small like the WW#11) then the Rem#11 should fit fine. I agree that reshaping the nipple will do the trick but "easy does it" as you remove metal you can't put back on.
SASS#3302 (Life), SASS Regulator, NRA (Life), Dirty Gamey Bastards #129
Wolverton Mtn. Peacekeepers (WA), former Orygun Cowboy (Ranger, Posse from Hell)
Old July 2, 2014, 02:45 PM   #6
Pahoo

It aint broke, not even a "Smidgen"

Quote:
I would also consider a larger cap like the Remington #10 (yes, the #10 will swell easier than the Winc/CCI#11) to fit the nipple.
It aint broke so really doesn't need fixin. Stick with the #11 and do little tuning on the nipple. You may just give yourself more grief by switching around on cap sizes. You sound a bit handy so you won't have a problem. If in doubt, send me the nipple and two of your 11's and I will tune it for you. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old July 4, 2014, 06:48 PM   #7
bedbugbilly

If I reading right, from what you are describing you have a very poor cap to nipple fit. Either do what hawg suggests and turn the nipple OD down to fit your caps . . . or get rid of the "stock nipple" and put a good Ampco or similar on it. You shouldn't need to fight with a cap to get it on and to work. At the price of what a good nipple is . . . I wouldn't put up with the aggregation . . . life's too short.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old July 4, 2014, 08:02 PM   #8
Sure Shot Mc Gee

Screw one of these in. Never have to buy spendy #11s ever again. Not exactly in keeping with traditional ways. But~~These days a fellow has to do what he has to do to keep on shooting.

http://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/mag-spark.html
Old July 4, 2014, 09:19 PM   #9
FrontierGander

brand of powder being used and what grade? ffg or fffg?
Old July 5, 2014, 02:56 AM   #10
mehavey

Quote:
The first half dozen times I shot my new .50 Hawken it worked fine.
Then the cap would fail to detonate on the first try consistently.
Sounds like "something changed" after those 1st half-dozen times.

Notwithstanding that....

Dumb Question #1: You sure you don't have spent caps stuck up in the hammer well? (I once bought a used T/C Hawken "...which wouldn't fire right..." and then proceeded to pry out seven (7!) old caps from inside the hammer.

Solution #1 if Dumb Question #1 isn't the answer: Chuck the nipple in a drill and take some 150-220 wet/dry sandpaper to the cone til a #11 fully seats with some ease. You should never have to take more than ordinary thumb pressure to seat a cap. If you do, statistics will get you sooner or later.

(Do the math: a 1% chance of accident done 69 times is literal flip-of-the-coin disaster)

Last edited by mehavey; July 5, 2014 at 09:51 AM.
Old July 19, 2014, 07:35 PM   #11
Alford

I suspect that you already know this, but I will run it by you anyway. If you decide to install a new nipple, you need to get one like the Lyman item #6030080 which has metric threads. I have an Investarm Hawken and that is what mine uses and I suspect that all the Italian made Investarm Hawkens are the same in that matter. They are nice guns, enjoy.