The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 12, 2013, 08:40 AM   #1
RANGER94

What do I have here?

Hello Everyone,
A buddy of mine inherited this revolver from his father. It has been in his family for a very long time. The barrel states: .38 Cal S&W CTGF. There is very light surface rust, he is considering getting it reblued, but I told him to hold off until we figure out what we have here.

Can anyone tell me what exactly it is?

Thanks!

Ranger94
Attached Images
File Type: jpg compressedA1.jpg (25.1 KB, 137 views)
File Type: jpg compressedA2.jpg (24.9 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg compressedA3.jpg (24.4 KB, 78 views)
Old July 12, 2013, 08:58 AM   #2
Herr Walther

Iver Johnson hammerless.

They made a bazillion of them.
"...a historian asked what had happened to the German people for them to accept a criminal government. Unfortunately, nothing needed to happen. In nations across the world people accept government crime."
-------------------------------------
"In democracies as well as dictatorships, subordinates illegally obey their rulers. Subordinates who remain true to their oaths of office by opposing their rulers are rare."
Old July 12, 2013, 10:32 AM   #3
Jim Watson

It doesn't look bad in the pictures, assuming the top latch will engage properly and not hang up as shown.
A good reblue would cost more than the gun is worth, a cheap reblue would make it look worse than rusty. I would just rub it hard with an oily cloth and call it good. .38 S&W ammo is still being made, although rather expensive because they don't make a lot and it does not get the economy of scale that .38 Special does.

The marking is CTGE which is simply an abbreviation for Cartridge. Which seems to mystify a lot of people.
(If it were a Smith & Wesson, it would be CTG.)
Old July 13, 2013, 02:27 PM   #4
Tidewater_Kid

Depending when it was made it made be suitable for black powder rounds only. I have one that looks just like it and it was made before 1898.

The serial number usually found under the grips will tell you when it was made. If you post it I will look it up in my book.

TK
Old July 13, 2013, 03:48 PM   #5
VeritasVincit

What do I have here?

I believe this is a Harrington Richardson .38 hammerless (not an Iver Johnson). I would guess second model but not positive without closer examination and a look at the top strap markings and patent dates.
As previously stated, not worth the reblue and why destroy the history and character of this old piece?
The good news is, if it locks up tight and functions properly, you can shoot regular smokeless .38 S&W in it, not to be confused with .38 special. H&R did not stamp cartridge markings on the old black powder frames.
Value is fairly low. Since condition can't be determined from these photos, I would guess it at $150, a bit more if its completely functional and has a fair amount of finish left.
Old July 13, 2013, 04:21 PM   #6
Tidewater_Kid

VertiasVincit,

I believe you are correct. I had a hard time making out the grips and I don't see the Iver owl.

The lines are the same as the Iver, but without closeup pictures, it's hard to tell.

TK
Old July 13, 2013, 05:28 PM   #7
Gunplummer

I would go with the H&R guess. The grips (What I can see) don't look right and if it was an Iver Hammerless it probably would have the auto eject (Maybe broken?).
Old July 13, 2013, 09:00 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

FWIW, I don't think it is either an H&R or an I.J. The grips appear to be H&R, but the shape of the trigger and the cylinder notches are not H&R. It could be a Hopkins and Allen.

Are there NO other markings at all on the gun?

Jim
Old July 14, 2013, 08:21 AM   #9
Mike Irwin
Staff

I'm betting serious money it's an H&R. It very much looks like the H&R hammerless I have in my gunsafe, right down to the shape of the trigger and the design inside the roundel at the top of the grips.

It should be marked as to the manufacturer on top of the barrel rib.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old July 14, 2013, 09:40 AM   #10
Winchester_73

If its not an H&R, its probably a store brand made by H&R. But how do I know?

Well, here is a photo the OP gave of his gun:

And here is one I just sold recently, a H&R 38 hammerless, SN 126XXX :

Old July 14, 2013, 09:44 AM   #11
Winchester_73

Quote:
The lines are the same as the Iver, but without closeup pictures, it's hard to tell.
Not really. The trigger is different, and the humback is pointed on a IJ. They do have subtle differences.

Quote:
if it was an Iver Hammerless it probably would have the auto eject (Maybe broken?)
Many revolvers from that time had the auto eject. S&W had it in 1877 and I think they originated it. The H&R of this thread is most likely post 1900, when everyone and their mother had auto eject.