The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 21, 2013, 01:09 PM   #26
Dr Big Bird PhD

Have you thought about offering the G26 instead? Maybe add a box of 9mm and holster?
I mean the G26 was pretty much made for a 10 round limit ban, I can't see why you'd wanna get rid of the high capacity version during uneasy times.
Who you are is not a function of where you are. -Off Minor
Old January 21, 2013, 01:37 PM   #27
Josh17

Thanks for all the relplies, I held off on any trades.

Last edited by Josh17; January 21, 2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old January 21, 2013, 01:40 PM   #28
9mm

Quote:
.....It would have costed $500+ to fix the 1911
more than the gun? lol... what did you do to it?
Old January 21, 2013, 02:51 PM   #29
Josh17

Thanks for all the relplies, but I do have a recent story that happened that got me wondering. (Btw honestly wasn't concerned about mag limits - just relability. I just thought Revolvers where still the "king of reliability" even in this day and age. I suppose that isn't as true anymore and Glocks are just as reliable?

I just bring that up because I knew of a friend who's house got broken into by 6 guys, all armed. So is he had a Glock with 15 rounds vs a Revolver with 6 rounds and used it, I'd imagine his fate would have been the same vs 6 armed people. 6 vs 1 seems like your going to lose either way. BUT if say if only 1 person broke in, and my friend had a revolver that was sitting on the drawer for 2 years and needed it to work right then, and there, i figured a revolver is the way to go. I couldnt picture the revolver not functioning even if it just sat in a drawer for 2 years without maintenance/lube and obviously dont have to worry about FTE/stovepipe jams on a revolver. Would a Glock still be just as reliable in the same situation say it was a at-home gun that just sits in a drawer for 2 years or whatever in case someone does break in? Or would the Glock be likely to malfunction if if just sat in a drawer for 2 years and was pulled out in emergency when needed? Just wondering.

But after reading all the replies it seems like I should still keep the Glock
Old January 21, 2013, 04:03 PM   #30
MLeake

Any mechanical device can fail if neglected or mistreated.

Good autos that are properly maintained, and fed good ammo in good magazines, are extremely reliable.

Most revolvers actually have more small parts, and more things that can break. A revolver's theoretical advantage is that it does not rely on a magazine system; but revolvers can go out of timing, they can suffer bent cylinder cranes, and they can have burnt powder and oil crud bind up an ejector star.

Moral of the story: Use good ammo, that you have tested in your gun; practice proper maintenance, and replace worn parts as necessary (recoil springs, magazine springs, etc); do that, and your Glock should be every bit as reliable as a revolver.

Edit: plus, you already have a G26 BUG.
Old January 21, 2013, 04:32 PM   #31
JN01

If it is in nice condition, I'd go for the Colt. Worth more than a Glock, 6 shot instead of 5 shot snubby. If you just want a revolver, it's a great one.

Keep your spare G19 magazines to use in your G26.
Old January 21, 2013, 10:23 PM   #32
stephen426

I have absolutely zero reliability concerns with Glocks over time. Springs break from repeated cycles, not staying compressed. The torture tests are practically legendary. The Temifer finish is super durable and actually penetrates the surface of the metal. I live in South Florida and used to pocket carry my Glock 26 all the time. I do have some wear on the slide to the point the finish has worn off. Despite that, I have had zero issues with rust.

As someone else mentioned, the G19's mags can be shared with the G26. I would much rather stock one type of ammo rather than getting another caliber. It is easier to make bulk ammo purchases and 9mm is still fairly reasonable.

Good choice keeping your G19!
Old January 22, 2013, 03:42 AM   #33
JimmyR

Revolver fan speaking out...

I love revolvers, and have a small collection of various makes and models- mostly Smith & Wesson. I own a 642 NRA edition with factory ported barrel that is one of my favorite CC/BU weapons.

That said, for carrying/personal defense away from the home, I would suggest keeping what you have. As others have suggested, having interchangeable mags is a great advantage, and you don't have to worry about adjusting to a different weapon if needed.

If you decided to try to trade your 19, I would lean towards a +cash deal. Being in the market for a used Glock, I can say that in my area, a used Gen 3 17/19/26 is running around $525, $625 w/ night sights; Gen 4s are about $100above that.

From everything I have heard, I would try to avoid a Charter or Rossi, just because there have been too many issues. Taurus is getting better, but still hit or miss on a used one. Older Smiths or Rugers are golden, with Security Six's still asking a premium and early model Smiths under $600 are like finding hen's teeth.
Old January 22, 2013, 06:49 AM   #34
Josh17

I do agree with all the posts. I LOVE THE GLOCK!!

But I was looking for a "at home/safe/sitting in my drawer type of gun" that I could leave sitting in there for months, or years, and pull it out to use it just in an emergency when needed. I'd practice some with the gun first, but mainly for the Revolver what I had in mind was just to have it as one of those sit in the drawer or sit on top of the fridge guns. Just as a back-up that if someone broke in, i could grab grab it, and not have to worry about leaving it loaded for years (I heard it could be a bad idea to leave a loaded semi auto magazine loaded.) But leaving a Revolver loaded wont harm anything, and if it's just sitting in the drawer, the Revolver couldn't break or go out of timing if it's just sittin there, correct?

I know that if a revolver is carried constantly and used, then yeah I could picture a revolver having a failure. But if it just sitting in the drawer, un-used, how could the revolver break or go out of time??? Maybe it still can, I'm not sure, I just didnt know. If a revolver can still break/go out of time even when just sitting in the drawer, then yeah I see zero advantage to having a revolver vs a Glock.

Last edited by Josh17; January 22, 2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old January 22, 2013, 06:56 AM   #35
JimmyR

If I am using a revolver for home defense/nightstand gun, then I am looking at a .357 K frame smith/ Ruger Six series. Bigger frame 6 shot with a hefty punch.
Old January 22, 2013, 09:17 AM   #36
MLeake

There are no advantages to a small revolver as house gun. I would go with a K or L frame full size .357, as JimmyR suggested, or an N frame .44 or .45; or, I would go with a mid or full size service pistol (such as a G19) for capacity.

Medium and large guns are easier to shoot. The only reason to go with small revolvers or very small autos is for ease of carry - and even then, some of us stick with midsize for the most part.
Old January 22, 2013, 09:31 AM   #37
jmr40

You made the right choice. Any of those trades would have been a step down unless you really needed the cash.
Old January 22, 2013, 11:54 PM   #38
Josh17

I forgot to mention I also had a straight up trade offer for a RUGER LCR .357/.38 special, with rounds included. But by the sounds of it the GLOCK still is better.

I did hear that the RUGER LCR is extremely reliable, more than any Semi Auto, but that's just some review I read it could be wrong or biased. Who knows.
Old January 23, 2013, 12:53 AM   #39
JimmyR

Again, while the LCR is a good gun, the question that has to be answered is "What function do I expect this to perform?"

If I pick up a hammer, I expect to drive a nail. If I am trying to use a hammer to drive a screw, it might work, but will probably make things much tougher, and possibly cause collateral damage. If you want a revolver for HOME defense, then a larger, heavier frame is a better than a smaller, lighter frame.
Old January 23, 2013, 05:10 AM   #40
MLeake

You seem to hear a lot of stuff; sounds like you need to do a lot more of your own, independent research because you get some weird advice.

I had an LCR in .38; I would not want to shoot a 13oz gun in .357. Aside from recoil pain, rounds can jump crimp.

LCRs had a recall, previously, due to flame cutting in the topstrap. I think it has been resolved for a while, but that does poke a small hole in the "revolvers are more reliable" assumption...
Old January 23, 2013, 07:57 AM   #41
Josh17

I think the use/purpose of what I planned on using the Glock or Revolver I mis-said. I actualy want a "truck gun" not a home defense weapon as I already have a home defense weapon. I completely explained it in detail in my post below.

See, to make it more clear the EXACT thing I want is what some call a "truck gun" - one that just sits in your car for years and never gets fired or maintenance because it is never used unless in emergency self-defense. Anyone I ever knew who had a truck gun always had a revolver - due to it not relying on lube/maintenance for proper function like a semi auto dose. Also keeping it loaded for years or so doesn't hurt a revolver, some claim it can hurt the springs of a auto magazine.

So I wondered:

If I kept a loaded REVOLVER as my truck gun and it sat in my car for 2 years, with zero maintenance/cleaning/lube in those 2 years (because it was never fired/used hence the zero maintenance), and someone attempted to rob me, and I pulled out that Loaded revolver that has been sitting in say the glove compartment for 2 years -- would it be 100% reliable, and go bang with all 5 or 6 shots? (If that many shots where needed). If not why? Since the revolver was never used while it sat in the car, why/how could any parts break/go out of timing????? Since the revolver just sat there and was never used, how could it possibly break/go out of timing/etc from simply firing it 6 shots in a few years??? I don't see how thats likely or possibly. (i only bring that up because a few claimed the Revolver could break/go out of timing even if fired a FEW times in YEARS. That sounds extremely bogus and far-fetched to me). I assume the Revolver would be 99.9% reliable in the case I described above.

Now how about a GLOCK in the EXACT same scenario. Kept in say the glove box of my car for 2 years, loaded. Zero maintenance/cleaning/lube (since it was never used/fired just sat in car). Now let's say someone attempted to rob me, and I pulled out the Glock. Would it go bang? Or is it likely it would FTF? Or would it go bang once then jam? Or would it have no problems in the condition i described and work flawless?

Who wins for relability/more likely to work flawless in the scenario I described above: a revolver or Glock?
Old January 23, 2013, 08:47 AM   #42
Skans

I have one Glock - Glock 17. It's ugly. I'm not all that accurate with it. It's plastic. It's also 20 years old, has thousands of rounds through it, goes bang every time I pull that trigger and looks about like it did when I bought it, even after carrying it in my car for 5 years. It's not a gun that I would ever get rid of.
Old January 23, 2013, 10:24 AM   #43
MLeake

If the gun is securely holstered, in a way that it won't get banged around or have things bouncing on it as you drive - which it should be - then either should be fine. However, if you plan to leave it in the truck all the time, and you are in Colorado, then you could still have issues with corrosion caused by regular sweating of the gun, or with lube gumming up in extreme cold, with a revolver or with a Glock.

Personally, I think the concept of a truck gun is unwise. I like the guns I may have to use in self-defense to be the guns I practice with the most - that way i know not only that they work, but I have my grip and trigger pull burned into subconscious memory.

Also, unless you rig some kind of under-steering-column holster, or between seats holster, the gun will not be quickly available. If you rig such a holster, the gun is easier to steal, unless you move the gun from a more secure storage container to the holster when you drive - in which case you are manipulating the gun at least a couple times a day. If you are going to do that, why not just get a carry permit and keep the gun on your person? That way it is available, and much harder to steal.

Meanwhile, if what you wanted was a truck gun, why were you even considering a Colt DS? Those things are no longer made, and are continually going up in collector value. A DS is exactly the sort of gun I would not use as a truck gun - if I wanted a dedicated truck gun...

Then again, I just keep a gun or two on my person, and those guns are taken to range sessions and IDPA shoots on a regular basis.
Old January 23, 2013, 12:58 PM   #44
Tactical Jackalope

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9mm View Post
more than the gun? lol... what did you do to it?
Wasn't me bro. Miami's finest for you. Barrel. Frame. Internals. lol... Now it's someone else's problem.

SIG Sauer 1911 XO - Custom Springfield MilSpec 1911 - Colt Gold Cup Trophy Model 1911 - Colt 70 Series 1911 - SIG Sauer P220 - SIG Sauer P226 E2 - Browning High-Power blue & stainless - Glock 17 - Glock 19 - Glock 21SF - Glock 22 - S&W Model 19 - H&k USP 40 - Remington Magnum 870 - Rock River AR-15 “Americans can no longer depend upon legislation to defend them from all who intend to do them harm.”
Old January 23, 2013, 01:03 PM   #45
Guv

Stay away from the Colt for a duty gun. Those small D frame Colts are beatiful but have very delicate lockworks. Why not just buy the 44, can't be that much considering the trade you speak of.
Old January 23, 2013, 04:32 PM   #46
pturner67

Josh:

As much as I hate looking at a Glock, they are very very solid and will hold up to any abuse that any other gun will endure (and possibly even more).

Truck gun = Glock
HD gun = Glock

I'm not a big fan of revolvers. But if you have the hankerin for a revolver, keep the Glock and save up. Look into a Ruger GP100. It's also a tank.
Old January 23, 2013, 04:50 PM   #47
9mm

Quote:
RUGER LCR .357/.38 special
....... I saw one NIB @ the gun show last year, for $380, forget about it.\

Quote:
actualy want a "truck gun" not a home defense weapon as I already have a home defense weapon. I completely explained it in detail in my post below.
I bought a Mavrick 88 for my truck gun. If you want a handgun for a truck gun then get a Ruger SP 101 in 2 inch barrel snubby/357 cal. All metal, probably the best idea handgun on the market for that. Now is not the time to buy one, I saw them $450< at gun shops last year now $600+ don't bother!!
Old January 23, 2013, 09:08 PM   #48
Josh17

I had many offers for it, a RUger sp101 (I think that what it's called was one of the offers)

But I use CLP as lube, and I heard CLP can stand up to -45 so shouldn't it fine Colorado cold? I keep the gun in the box, so it won't be moving around in the car and shouldn't be exposed to any dirt.

I think I'll stick with the GLOCK or if I choose a Revolver I probably will go with an all steel revolver like the Ruger sp.

Last edited by Josh17; January 23, 2013 at 09:42 PM.
Old January 23, 2013, 10:36 PM   #49
Deja vu

I am a big time revolver guy and I love my J-frame (640) but I think the Glock 19 is a better option than the choices you listed unless you really need a pocket gun.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old January 24, 2013, 01:57 AM   #50
JimmyR

I see why we got confused:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh17 View Post
But I was looking for a "at home/safe/sitting in my drawer type of gun" that I could leave sitting in there for months, or years, and pull it out to use it just in an emergency when needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh17 View Post
I think the use/purpose of what I planned on using the Glock or Revolver I mis-said. I actualy want a "truck gun" not a home defense weapon as I already have a home defense weapon.
I'd have to agree with MLeake. I carried a car gun for a while (Rossi .357), but decided that I didn't think it was a good idea. If my gun is for any reason visible, it makes my car a target. Even if it is concealed, and someone steals my car, then I now have a stolen gun. Too many complications, not enough benefits. Just carry your carry gun, and you will have it with you in the car.

If you DO decide to go car gun, I would actually suggest a Taurus Revolver- decent weapon, but inexpensive enough to not feel so bad if it gets stolen.