The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 6, 2010, 11:44 PM   #1
Hardcase

My first hand picked Nagant

The BBT dropped it off today and I have to say that once I cleaned it up, I was...well...less than awestruck. Actually, kind of disappointed.

On the other hand, if this is a best-of-ten, I'd hate to see the other nine. Thanks SOG, I guess.

I don't know, maybe my expectations were too high.

That's a big ol' rust spot that goes under the grip halfway down the frame. It looks like somebody tried to scrape it off. It matches the rust that's under the right side grip.

To be fair, the numbers do all match. Was I expecting too much for $107 (with shipping) and 70 years old? Or is there something special about this revolver that I don't understand? SOG describes these as as being in "excellent condition".

Last edited by Hardcase; January 6, 2010 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Added the "excellent condition"
Old January 7, 2010, 12:46 AM   #2
the rifleer

I think you did outstanding for $107. it appears that it is in outstanding shape. you have to understand that this is a used military firearm that was likely used in the war.

sure, it may have a few scratches, but to me what matters the most is the bore. i have seen gorgeous rifles with ****-poor barrels, and others that look like real beaters that had good barrels and shoot well.

The other thing to consider is they probably only had a few of them, and of the few this was the best one.

the bluing looks outstanding other than the minor scratches. it adds character and shows that it truly is a military firearm and was treated as such. its a work horse, not a show pony.
Old January 7, 2010, 02:35 AM   #3
olyinaz

I think you did fine. It is what it is and you got a good price.

Enjoy it!

Best,
Oly
Old January 7, 2010, 09:28 AM   #4
Hardcase

Excellent points, fellas, and thank you. I think that I just got spoiled with practically pristine Mosin Nagants. With a night's reflection, it does strike me that a handgun isn't a rifle, both in the obvious difference and in the way that both are handled and used. This one will do me just fine.

Now I just have to track down a '37 91/30 to match
Old January 7, 2010, 02:06 PM   #5
jsmaye

Quote:
I think that I just got spoiled with practically pristine Mosin Nagants.
Even those are getting hard to find.
Old January 10, 2010, 03:43 AM   #6
gyvel

What one must understand is that the "hand picked" option, whether it be SOG, J&G, Century, Sarco or anyone else, means that the gun was pulled out of a bin by a human being instead of a monkey.
Old January 11, 2010, 09:58 AM   #7
Hardcase

Well, I was all set to go shoot my new toy over the weekend, but J&G sent me somebody's Bulgarian AK mags instead of a few boxes of Nagant ammo.

It was probably for the best, though, because the range is a muddy mess and I'd probably catch it for mucking up the carpets.

J&G is sending out a UPS call tag and replacing the ammo, so it'll end up OK. I kind of suspect that when they got in on Monday after New Year's, it was a real zoo.