The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Old May 24, 2009, 12:22 PM   #1
gltsull

Rip Off Alert!

I made an online GunBroker purchase from one Nathan Calhoun for a 22 caliber pistol. I sent $350.00. I heard nothing for 2 weeks. When I contacted him, he awkwardly told me he sent the gun via usps priority mail 5 days before. Nothing had arrived. I told him to use the tracking number to find out what happened. No tracking number. I told him to go to the post office and have them trace the package. He told me his post office says they can't do this. Funny, you can at my post office. He had absolutley no proof of shipping. After weeks of being jerked around, I finally filed a complaint with gun broker. The gunbroker process is another nightmare, but thats another story. Nathan Calhoun of Indiana, also has something to do with Calhoun Knives. Their company I guess. His gunbroker sight has been shut down, and thanks top Gunbroker, and Nathan Calhoun, I am out $350.00.
Old May 24, 2009, 12:35 PM   #2
Keltyke

If you paid by credit card, get the CC company involved. You can even get the payment rescinded if you can prove you never received the merchandise. If you paid by Postal M.O., get them involved. That's postal fraud and they WILL go after the guy. If you paid by personal check or cash, you might be SOL.

BTW, I ONLY pay by Postal M.O. or CC when buying anything online.

Caveat emptor always.
Old May 24, 2009, 01:35 PM   #3
rjrivero

That's funny. It's ILLEGAL to send a GUN Via USPS.
Old May 24, 2009, 01:40 PM   #4
hoytinak

Quote:
That's funny. It's ILLEGAL to send a GUN Via USPS.
FFL holders can ship to other FFL holders through the USPS.
Old May 24, 2009, 02:04 PM   #5
Mike Irwin
Staff

Another good reason to always use a USPS Money Order when paying for items.

They take a very dim view of fraud.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old May 24, 2009, 02:50 PM   #6
Jim Dandy

Absolutely NOT TRUE!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Irwin
Another good reason to always use a USPS Money Order when paying for items.

They take a very dim view of fraud.
You are quite incorrect. Use of a USPS money order does NOT give you ANY additional protection for a purchase. Period. I really wish people would quit spreading this MYTH -- because that's what it is, a MYTH -- and stick to reality.

Sorry, Mike, but that's the truth. The only thing USPS will do with regard to use of one of their money orders is provide you with detailed information of when and where it was cashed or redeemed.
Old May 24, 2009, 03:45 PM   #7
tyme
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gltsull
I told him to go to the post office and have them trace the package. He told me his post office says they can't do this. Funny, you can at my post office. He had absolutley no proof of shipping.
Sure, you can, but it's not the default option when sending something.

Let's assume for a minute that he's not a scammer. After all, you both hopefully are FFLs or else there were laws being broken (on your side by directly receiving a pistol across state lines, on his side by sending vis USPS). If it were a scam, he'd face the wrath of you, the USPS, and possibly the ATF.

Without paying extra for certified mail or at least return receipt requested, you don't get any tracking capability from USPS. Many sellers will tell you it's your problem if you don't get your order. (A few will take ownership of the problem if you use their preferred shipping method.) As a buyer you have the option of requesting that they use a trackable, insurable carrier... at your expense, of course. Then if something goes wrong you have a means of recovering your loss from the carrier, possibly even the shipper.

In your case, you have not specified whether you requested trackable/insured shipping. This could be just bad luck, not a scam.
“Who are you?” “A friend. I'm here to prevent you from making a mistake.” “You have no idea what I'm doing here, friend.” “In specific terms, no, but I swore an oath to protect the world...” (continuum)
“It's a goal you won't understand until later. Your job is to make sure he doesn't achieve the goal.” (bsg)
Old May 24, 2009, 04:31 PM   #8
Keltyke

Quote:
usps priority mail
???
From the USPS Website:
Quote:
432 Mailability
432.1 General

The following conditions apply:

1. Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (referred to as “handguns”) are nonmailable in the domestic mail, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1.
2. The disassembled parts of a handgun or other type of nonmailable firearm that can be readily reassembled as a weapon are nonmailable, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1 or 601.11.2.
3. Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are generally permitted, as specified in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.2.
4. Unloaded rifles and shotguns may be mailed if the mailer fully complies with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90—618) and
18 U.S.C. 921. The mailer may be required to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not excluded from mailing because of the restrictions in 432.1b and c.

Exhibit 432.1

Mailability Requirements for Firearms

Unloaded Handgun

Handguns — e.g., pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person — are nonmailable UNLESS mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, or a licensed dealer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government or government of a state, territory, or district, and ONLY when addressed to a person in one of the following categories for use in the person’s official duties AND upon filing the required affidavit or certificate, as applicable (see DMM 601.11.1.3–7):

1. Addressee: Officer of Army, Coast Guard, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, or Organized Reserve Corps.
Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the commanding officer.
2. Addressee: Officer of National Guard or militia of a state, territory, or district.
Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the commanding officer.
3. Addressee: Officer of the federal government or a state, district, or territory whose official duty is to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.
Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the head of the agency employing the addressee.
4. Addressee: Postal Service employees specifically authorized by the Chief Postal Inspector.
Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the head of the agency employing the addressee.
5. Addressee: Officer or employee of a U.S. enforcement agency.
6. Addressee: Watchman engaged in guarding federal, state, district, or territory property.
Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by chief clerk of department, bureau, or independent branch of the government agency employing the addressee.
7. Addressee: Purchasing agent or other designated member of an enforcement agency employing officers and personnel included in c, d, or e above.
Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the head of agency stating the firearm is to be used by an officer or employee cited in c, d, or e above.
8. Addressee: Licensed manufacturers and dealers of firearms.
Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Signed statement on PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms.

The mailer must be a licensed manufacturer or dealer mailing to another licensed manufacturer or dealer.

Handguns may be mailed without regard to the requirements noted in items a–h if the addressee is the FBI (or its Director) or a scientific lab or crime detection bureau of any agency whose members are federal law enforcement officers, or state, district, or territory officers authorized to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.

Manufacturers or dealers must complete PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms, and file with the postmaster.

Postmasters may forward an unsatisfactory mailer statement to their PCSC for a ruling.
Can you even mail a handgun?
Old May 24, 2009, 06:51 PM   #9
dogtown tom

Quote:
keltyke: Quote:
Quote:
432 Mailability
432.1 General

The following conditions apply:

1. Pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person (referred to as “handguns”) are nonmailable in the domestic mail, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1.
2. The disassembled parts of a handgun or other type of nonmailable firearm that can be readily reassembled as a weapon are nonmailable, except as permitted in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.1 or 601.11.2.
3. Unloaded antique firearms sent as curios or museum pieces are generally permitted, as specified in Exhibit 432.1 and DMM 601.11.2.
4. Unloaded rifles and shotguns may be mailed if the mailer fully complies with the Gun Control Act of 1968 (Public Law 90—618) and
18 U.S.C. 921. The mailer may be required to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not excluded from mailing because of the restrictions in 432.1b and c.

Exhibit 432.1

Mailability Requirements for Firearms

Unloaded Handgun

Handguns — e.g., pistols, revolvers, and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person — are nonmailable UNLESS mailed by a licensed manufacturer of firearms, or a licensed dealer of firearms, or an authorized agent of the federal government or government of a state, territory, or district, and ONLY when addressed to a person in one of the following categories for use in the person’s official duties AND upon filing the required affidavit or certificate, as applicable (see DMM 601.11.1.3–7):
1. Addressee: Officer of Army, Coast Guard, Air Force, Navy, Marine Corps, or Organized Reserve Corps.
2. Addressee: Officer of National Guard or militia of a state, territory, or district.
3. Addressee: Officer of the federal government or a state, district, or territory whose official duty is to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.
4. Addressee: Postal Service employees specifically authorized by the Chief Postal Inspector.
5. Addressee: Officer or employee of a U.S. enforcement agency.
6. Addressee: Watchman engaged in guarding federal, state, district, or territory property.
Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by chief clerk of department, bureau, or independent branch of the government agency employing the addressee.
7. Addressee: Purchasing agent or other designated member of an enforcement agency employing officers and personnel included in c, d, or e above.
Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Mailable with affidavit signed by addressee and certificate signed by the head of agency stating the firearm is to be used by an officer or employee cited in c, d, or e above.
8. Addressee: Licensed manufacturers and dealers of firearms.
Affidavit or Certificate Requirements: Signed statement on PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms.

The mailer must be a licensed manufacturer or dealer mailing to another licensed manufacturer or dealer.

Handguns may be mailed without regard to the requirements noted in items a–h if the addressee is the FBI (or its Director) or a scientific lab or crime detection bureau of any agency whose members are federal law enforcement officers, or state, district, or territory officers authorized to serve warrants of arrest or commitment.

Manufacturers or dealers must complete PS Form 1508, Statement by Shipper of Firearms, and file with the postmaster.

Postmasters may forward an unsatisfactory mailer statement to their PCSC for a ruling.
Can you even mail a handgun?
Yes, if you are a firearms manufacturer or dealer you can mail a handgun. See highlighted text above.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old May 24, 2009, 08:13 PM   #10
The_Vigilante

Rip Off Alert!

JimDandy,

I am interested in your response that using a USPS Money Order is useless as far as getting your money back. Please elucidate and explain your answer. Also please answer this question: Is it not a federal offense to use the USPS to commit fraud? Yes or no? Thanks
Old May 24, 2009, 08:20 PM   #11
Coyote Hitman

Quote:
You are quite incorrect. Use of a USPS money order does NOT give you ANY additional protection for a purchase. Period. I really wish people would quit spreading this MYTH -- because that's what it is, a MYTH -- and stick to reality.
Sorry, Mike, but that's the truth. The only thing USPS will do with regard to use of one of their money orders is provide you with detailed information of when and where it was cashed or redeemed.
+1 Folks think the USPS is an ELITE organization that makes an effort to track down and apprehend criminals--100% not true. In fact, my experience left me with the perception that they are COMPLETELY incompetent, worthless, and lazy--except when it comes to upselling shipping services--"Will you be needing any stamps today!"

The USPS will have you fill out a form, pay a fee, wait 30 days, then they will tell you whether the MO has been cashed and by whom. If it was not endorsed by the party you issued it to, another MO can be issued to the person. Other than that, you have little/NO recourse.

Quote:
I am interested in your response that using a USPS Money Order is useless as far as getting your money back. Please elucidate and explain your answer. Also please answer this question: Is it not a federal offense to use the USPS to commit fraud? Yes or no? Thanks
Though not directed to me, I'll respond.

Yes, mail fraud is a federal offense. Do you think 350.00 will initiate a no holds barred investigation from the PI's? It is a drop in the bucket and will not be investgated, simply documented. $30K-$40K MAY perk an interest.

What safeguards do you perceive being present with a MO?

If you ever experience mail fraud, please take time to "elucidate and explain" your experiences.

Last edited by Coyote Hitman; May 24, 2009 at 08:41 PM.
Old May 24, 2009, 08:46 PM   #12
Jim Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Vigilante
JimDandy,

Read Coyote Hitman's response; it's far kinder than I care to explain it. You're also more than welcome to call the U.S. Postal Inspector's offices https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/ and discuss with them on what level of priority they place recovering small monetary losses. Never mind the resources they're devoting to drug interdiction, homeland security, etc. They'll be glad to "elucidate and explain" these things to you.
Old May 24, 2009, 09:01 PM   #13
The_Vigilante

Rip Off Alert!

Thanks to both of you for your reponses. Apparently I believed the Postal Inspectors would take a dim view of fraud at any level. It appears they are only interested in the big $$$$ fraud and could care less about you and me and our penny ante losses. Don't guess I will be using USPS money orders to purchase anything of value anytime soon. Unfortunately some sellers on GB don't or can't take credit cards-guess we shouldn't do business with them unless they have favorable feedbacks numbering in the 100's.

Last edited by The_Vigilante; May 24, 2009 at 10:33 PM.
Old May 24, 2009, 10:17 PM   #14
TEDDY

usps

one of the posts stated a form must be filled out even by an FFL. so the post office would have that form if the gun was shipped.if gun was not shipped I would call the ATF and complain.
Old May 25, 2009, 05:44 AM   #15
Noskov

Quote:
I made an online GunBroker purchase from one Nathan Calhoun for a 22 caliber pistol. I sent $350.00. I heard nothing for 2 weeks. When I contacted him, he awkwardly told me he sent the gun via usps priority mail 5 days before. Nothing had arrived. I told him to use the tracking number to find out what happened. No tracking number. I told him to go to the post office and have them trace the package. He told me his post office says they can't do this. Funny, you can at my post office. He had absolutley no proof of shipping. After weeks of being jerked around, I finally filed a complaint with gun broker. The gunbroker process is another nightmare, but thats another story. Nathan Calhoun of Indiana, also has something to do with Calhoun Knives. Their company I guess. His gunbroker sight has been shut down, and thanks top Gunbroker, and Nathan Calhoun, I am out $350.00.
Although I sympathize with the loss of money over a firearms purchase there are a few notes in your reply that aren't justified.

USPS Priority Mail does not offer a tracking number. I tried that myself when I requested an envelope with a money order to have a tracking number. Express Mail has the tracking number you're referring to but can cost twice or even triple what Priority Mail is.

An individual package can't be traced unless it has a tracking number.

I also agree that the USPS Postal Money Order doesn't have any added security benefits.
Old May 25, 2009, 09:30 AM   #16
Jim Dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEDDY
one of the posts stated a form must be filled out even by an FFL. so the post office would have that form if the gun was shipped.if gun was not shipped I would call the ATF and complain.
Which would also accomplish NOTHING. The BATFE doesn't get involved in otherwise civil disputes, nor are they going to devote resources to the recovery of $350. (See earlier post regarding USPS authorities.)

People need to rid themselves of these MYTHS, urban legends, and this otherwise WORTHLESS advice concerning internet deals gone bad. No one is going to run out and get a "no-knock" warrant based on your ALLEGATION, no one is going to devote the resources of a prosecutor's office for you, PERIOD.
Old May 25, 2009, 09:31 AM   #17
lowbud

Good luck dealing with USPS. Several of us got taken on this vary forum and it's doubtfull anything will ever be done about it. USPS deals with so many cases of fraud you'll be lucky to ever hear anything about it.

Only way is to pay with CC. At least you have the ability to dispute the charges. Paypal or the likes doesn't do any good either becasue they are against firearm related transactions anyway..

Bottom line is ya can't trust anyone. YMMV!
Old May 25, 2009, 09:32 AM   #18
dk148

With regards to shipping handguns through USPS, a dealer definitely can ship to another dealer using priority mail. There is a form that needs to be filled out by the dealer for each address firearms are going to.

You do receive a tracking number when shipping USPS, granted it does not work as well as UPS or FEDEX in its ability to give you up to the minute location of your package. But the shipper can and should ask for delivery confirmation, which works surprisingly well. Also if the package is insured, someone has to sign for it at the delivery address, that included with delivery confirmation pretty much insures that the package made it.

Gltsull, don’t give up and do what you have to do to get your money back. And with any luck get this guy in jail for fraud or at the very minimum pay some fines so he wont do it again.
Old May 25, 2009, 09:54 AM   #19
Thiokol

Quote:
USPS Priority Mail does not offer a tracking number.
You most assuredly can get a tracking number for priority mail. Simply fill out the green bordered tag and check Priority Mail. I believe the cost is something like $0.75.
Old May 25, 2009, 09:58 AM   #20
kirkcdl

The only added security a Postal Money Order gives you is the P.O. will cash it,(like a bank),and will verify that it is not a fake MO at that time...

So,Postal Money Orders are a good thing for the seller,but have no added security for the buyer.The Postal Inspectors MAY issue a letter to the recipient regarding the fact they've been notified of a possible fraudulent use of a MO,but your best bet is to call the local LEO in the city you sent it to,that will get you the maximum attention you can expect in this situation.Maybe not enough,but that's where you'll get the most attention to your problem...

A local FFL surrendered his license a few years ago,not for any problems,he was just closing up shop,and in spite of his numerous calls and letters,a few of the consignments were not picked up.When the owners went to the former shop and found it closed,they called the police.I happened to be there when the PD came to see him,and he was told to return the guns "NOW" or the next time they came back he'd be going with them,even though he had made many attempts to get the owners to come get their guns.ATF,State PD,and county SO didn't want to be bothered with the whole mess...So,local PD may be the only way to get action on this...Good luck...
Old May 25, 2009, 11:27 AM   #21
cue7467

I am in Indiana and I can swing by there if it helps and check it out?
Old May 25, 2009, 12:47 PM   #22
sinister1811

Get the Postal Inspectors involved. The theft of a gun is a felony everywhere I know of. By him not shipping it, if that's the case is a theft. I would get the authorities involved.
Old May 25, 2009, 01:16 PM   #23
Jim Dandy

More POOR "advice"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinister1811
Get the Postal Inspectors involved. The theft of a gun is a felony everywhere I know of. By him not shipping it, if that's the case is a theft. I would get the authorities involved.
Go back and READ the posts regarding the U.S. Postal Inspection Service.

Postal authorities aren't going to do a thing. We've already established that.

No guns were "stolen" either. Please point out where one was stolen in this little saga.

Last edited by Shane Tuttle; May 26, 2009 at 06:29 PM. Reason: removal of inflammatory remarks
Old May 25, 2009, 03:17 PM   #24
Noskov

Quote:
You most assuredly can get a tracking number for priority mail. Simply fill out the green bordered tag and check Priority Mail. I believe the cost is something like $0.75.
That green tag is either Delivery or Signature confirmation. Its not a real tracking number. Delivery confirmation gives you a number which you can input on their website to see if it was actually delivered. Its not a hourly or daily tracking system like Express or FedEx or UPS.

Signatire confirmation works the same way in that whoever the item/letter is addressed to has to sign for it upon delivery or if no one is home, a note weill be left for them to pick up the item at their Post Office within a set time or it will be returned to sender.

Every payment for a gun I send out has either Signature or Delivery confirmation which works well enough.
Old May 25, 2009, 06:52 PM   #25
Thiokol

Noskov,

You can track it. Next time you are checking on one, once you get the status page, click on the additional information link.