The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 26, 2004, 09:47 AM   #1
Bushwhacker

What type of holster do you use...

I have used the IWB, Pancake, belt slide and paddle.
Like the Pancake with belt slots and belt slide the best.
What does everyone think of the Shoulder holster during the winter months?

No freeman shall ever be debarred the use of arms.
Thomas Jefferson: Draft Virginia Constitution, 1776
Old August 26, 2004, 03:13 PM   #2
Banjo

I work for a large corporation and don't really have much opportunity to
carry on my person. Many of the company sites I work in have the politically correct "can't carry a concealed weapon sign" posted. But I do like to feel secure driving to and from work especially when I come in early or leave late at night. I usually have my Ruger .40 in a Grassburr Leather Works mountable holster firmly secured to the bottom of the dashboard in my truck.
Old August 26, 2004, 11:36 PM   #3
V-fib

My “always” for concealed carry is the smartcarry holster. For deep concealment I use it in the conventional way as shown on the website. However when I’m in an area such as the larger cities I use it as a IWB with the gun right at my beltline 11o’clock only the grip is sticking up above my belt. I used to use a conventional shoulder holster esp. in winter when I have heavier clothes on but I bobbed the hammer on my Sp101 and can’t use a horizontal shoulder holster any more. However my SO made some support straps to my specs. and I can carry my Sp in the smartcarry as a vertical under the arm holster. I just leave a button open on the cover shirt and it’s easy to reach in and draw (same way I used the shoulder holster). When out and about on the homestead I use a paddle holster.
Old August 31, 2004, 06:47 PM   #4
don't shoot it's me

I IWB 90 percent of the time since my P7 can disappear under a normal t-shirt, I don't find it uncomfortable at all with a good belt and loose enough pants....shoulder is great for long drives, heavy clothing where getting to a hip might be difficult and it is convienent when you are just in sweat pants and need to run to the store...OWB prints fairly easily under a shirt so I save that for winter sweater wear....

Old September 1, 2004, 11:09 PM   #5
JerryM

I normally wear either a lether pancake or a kydex paddle. My current paddles are Fobus, but I have one for my Kahr P9 on order from Comp Tac.

I do not wear IWB as the norm, but do when it is the best way to conceal. For that I prefer the Sparks EX. I am at this moment wearing a Blade Tech IWB for the 1911 compact. It is not as comfortable as the Sparks leather holster. I wanted to try it for a few hours since I have not worn it in a couple of years.

Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old September 7, 2004, 12:06 PM   #6
Treylis

Milt Sparks VM-2, which carries a 5" 1911. I used to switch off between that and an OWB Mitch Rosen 5JR pancake clone, but the VM-2 is comfortable enough that I don't really bother playing holster-swap anymore.
Old September 7, 2004, 02:22 PM   #7
Richard

I carry a Bersa Thunder 45 in either a Ken L. Null Gibson Covert or an Alessi CQC-I. The CQC-I has been getting the nod of late. Regards, Richard
Old September 8, 2004, 10:33 AM   #8
dairycreek

Quote:
What does everyone think of the Shoulder holster during the winter months?
I like the way shoulder holsters fit and carry but I gave up on them some time ago. I could never adequately solve the problem of concealment when I simply had to take off my outer concealment garment.

We do not have really hard winters here in Oregon but exactly what to do when the coat/jacket/heavy shirt had (or ought) to be removed indoors left me in a perpetual quandary. I still carry my hunting 44 mag revolvers in a shoulder holster but that's outside in the field and concealment is not an issue. FWIW Good shooting
Old September 10, 2004, 02:59 AM   #9
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

It's been many years since I've used a shoulder holster for regular carry. I worked a job which required wearing a sports coat/suit coat. I wore an overcoat in the winter and took that off inside. Retained the sports coat and its concealment.

I like IWB.
Old September 10, 2004, 07:09 AM   #10
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

I'm easily confused...

...so I try to vary holster types as little as possible. Should things ever go south, I don't want Ms. Hand confused as to where to find the pistol. Practically, this means IWB at 4 o'clock, or a pancake-type OWB in the same location. Shoulder holsters demand a whole different set of motor skills, and, being naturally clumsy, I try and focus my limited training time on as few types of draw as possible.
Old September 15, 2004, 10:48 AM   #11
Fezwig

I carry in a Milt Sparks VM-2 or a Smartcarry. My 1911 goes in my VM-2 and my Makarov works great in my smartcarry. You can't go wrong with a VM-2. My only compliant about the smartcarry is that I have had it for 6 months or so and it is showing more wear than I would like, but that's what happens when you have a cloth holster rubbing on a gun.

Fezwig
Old September 16, 2004, 02:11 AM   #12
Valkman

I carry a Kimber Compact CDP I in a Brommeland rig - Max Con V holster, gun belt and mag/flash pouch. I keep a 8rd mag and a Surefire E2e in the pouch - and Gary makes really, really good stuff.

Brommeland Gunleather
Old September 19, 2004, 01:44 PM   #13
JerryM

Tamara,

I have read a lot that because of the difference in men and women bodies, that women find it more comfortable to wear the holster forward of the hip. I would suppose that to be about 2 O'Clock.

Have you tried that position, and what are your comments? It would seem harder to conceal than the 4 O'Clock position.
I sometimes help in a CHL class and women want to know the best ways to carry.

Thanks,
Jerry
Ecclesiastes 12:13  ¶Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
14  For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.
Old September 19, 2004, 09:19 PM   #14
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

JerryM,

There are as many differences among women's builds as there are among men's. I wear my jeans a little lower than I would if I wasn't wearing a holster, and I buy them a size large so there's room for both me and the holster in my trousers. If I were to wear my jeans high and try to cinch them tight, I'd probably encounter problems, but I don't.
Old September 19, 2004, 10:25 PM   #15
JerryM

Tamara,
Thanks. I am trying to get as much info as I can and put it on a floppy to give to the female students.

Jerry
Old October 26, 2004, 12:50 AM   #16
Mr. Honeytoast

I prefer a normal belt slide holster worn at the 3:00 position. I also prefer to stick with Safariland for the vast majority of my gun carrying needs because I havn't found a company that makes a better product, in my opinion. About 8 IWB holsters later, IWB still seems backwards (like I got up and put my pants on inside out), but I find it's just the best way to conceal a gun so I do it alot anyway.
Old November 5, 2004, 06:14 PM   #17
Eric Larsen

I love a good shoulder holster in the winter months........fall and spring when its "cooler" I prefer a good tight to the body pancake and summer is IWB time for sure............
Shoot well.............

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush
Old November 6, 2004, 12:02 AM   #18
Alaskanmonte

I now use a paddle holster in the 9:00 position (I'm Left handed) and I like the ease of removal when I need it. At work I can't carry, but when I go to lunch or get off of work I can just put it on without belt removal. I use all leather holsters, although I have not tried any type of Kydex (its hard to find a nice one in a left handed model for the guns I carry). I have used IWB before, but in the last year I've gained a little weight so they are a little tight for me right now .
Old November 6, 2004, 01:45 PM   #19
HappyGunner

Iwb

I use a http://www.rmholsters.com/
For my Glock23
And a http://www.comp-tac.com/
for my three Kimbers.
I have two Milt Sparks Versa Max IIs for Kimbers also a SideArmor 4th Gen.for Glock and they are really quality holsters but I really like the quickness of my RM and Comp-Tac holsters. The SideArmor 4th Gen. just does not lay right in my jeans just not a good fit for my carry needs.