The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 1, 2013, 09:36 PM   #1
therifleman556

Correct burn rate for Mini 14

Hello all;

I am posting in regards to appropriate burn rates for semi automatic rifles. I recently picked up a Mini 14 for hunting and toting around, essentially a light-weight alternative to my bull barreled AR. The concern I am having is in regards to the proper burn rate for the Mini's gas system. I am currently running 55 grain bullets using a 26.5gr charge of BL-C(2). I had not given the choice a second thought with my ARs; but when shooting the same loads out of the Mini, calling case ejection "spirited" is an understatement. Empties routinely travel 25 feet or more. The odd thing to me is that using factory Wolf 55gr ammunition, ejection is a much more sedate 4 to 6 feet.

Anybody have any ideas on how I can make my brass a bit easier to keep track of using different powders? I read that the M1/M14 platform is best suited to powders between 4895 and 4064. BL-C(2) is on the fast side of those. Would a slower powder make the Mini a little more brass-friendly?
Old August 2, 2013, 05:34 AM   #2
steve4102

The Mini-14/30 is well known for sending brass into the next county. You can try using a faster powder, or you can go here and get the proper bushing for your rifle.
They have different Gas port bushings that will allow you to tailor your mini to whatever you need. You can also skip the reduced bushing set and go with an adjustable gas block. This will allow you to set your Mini up for the exact amount of ejection you need right at the bench and in the field.

http://www.ruger-mini-14-firearms.co...ccessories.php
Old August 2, 2013, 08:53 AM   #3
SVTCobra306

^^ Agreed. I haven't done it to mine yet, but it's on the list.. pretty high on the list actually LOL
Old August 2, 2013, 09:10 AM   #4
serf 'rett

Quote:
Anybody have any ideas on how I can make my brass a bit easier to keep track of ...
There's the cheapo solutions

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/855...lon-mesh-black (must figure how to adapt to Mini)

Table top model
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/942...-brass-catcher
Old August 2, 2013, 09:26 AM   #5
therifleman556

Thanks for the link. I knew about the adjustable gas blocks, but figured the price wasnt worth it. The bushings look like a very reasonable solution.
Old August 5, 2013, 07:52 PM   #6
LeopardCurDog

Any brass that comes out of any of my mini's goes 25-30 feet as well.