The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 19, 2013, 04:28 PM   #1
Bezoar

why the 22

Here is what bugs me. Why does everyone pass off the 22 rimfire as the ideal starter caliber for everyone?

its not considered more then 'its better then a stick' when it comes to self defense. you really cant do more then target shoot and garden pest control.

So why limit someone to that one caliber no matter what?
Old October 19, 2013, 04:52 PM   #2
Glenn E. Meyer

It is easy to shoot without excessive recoil or noise. It is relatively cheap.

As far as SD uses - since there have been many, your statement in that regard is not factually true.
Old October 19, 2013, 04:55 PM   #3
Panfisher

Lightweight, little/no recoil, inexpensive to buy and shoot, etc. etc. As for self defense, it might not be my first choice but given a good quality .22 LR loaded with high velocity hollow points, I will hold my own. A ruger 10/22 with a BX-25 mag loaded with Stingers is something that no intruder wants to face period. MUCH better than a stick.
Old October 19, 2013, 04:56 PM   #4
Beagle45ACP

Because we're not a bunch of delta bravos who decided "oh, it's their first time shooting? the appropriate caliber is the .50ae so they smack themselves in the head and we get a good laugh about it."
We tell people to start off shooting a .22 for the same reason you don't teach a toddler to swim by throwing them in the river - we want their initial impression to be a good one and we want them to shoot again and enjoy the sport.

Wastin' away my future children's inheritance one box of ammo, range fee, and bottle of Hoppe's #9 at a time.
Old October 19, 2013, 05:07 PM   #5
Brandon79ta

I might not be an expert but I'm pretty sure a .22 in someone's brain will stop them in their tracks. Same with any animal. Sure some have skulls too thick for a .22 but I'm sure you get my point.

But ya .50ae and .50 bmg are great starters right? lol
Old October 19, 2013, 05:46 PM   #6
patrickmn

I think there are several reasons.

1. A lot of people are young when they start shooting. Under 13 years old. For a small kid, .22 LR is best because it isn't so loud and powerful.

2. For people who just like target practice or hunt small animals but want a real gun instead of a BB gun, .22 LR is plenty.

3. .22 ammo is cheap and makes practice cheap. Learning how to shoot takes a lot of ammo just to get through the basics.

4. I suspect a lot, if not most, guns are bought to be used as tools of fun rather than tools of death. That brings us back to being able to have more fun for the dollar with a .22 than with other guns.
Old October 19, 2013, 05:59 PM   #7
g.willikers

Alligators are hunted with .22s.
Their brains are so small and protected that .22s through the eye is a reliable way to get the job done.
.22s are usually so accurate and easy to rapid fire on target, that they are far more effective than most folks realize.
Don't dis the mighty mouse round.
Old October 19, 2013, 06:16 PM   #8
Bezoar

cheap and easy to get ammunition? seriously? theres places selling 350 round packs of bulk 22lr for 160 plus shipping and tax. thats not affordable.
Old October 19, 2013, 06:20 PM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
you really cant do more then target shoot and garden pest control.
Maybe you can't, maybe I can't but there are, and have been a heck of a lot of people who can, and have.

The stereotypical story of a farm boy being sent out with a .22, two cartridges, and being expected to bring back two rabbits for dinner is the stuff of legend today, but did happen, and happen a lot still within living memory.

Lowest cost of any cartridge, accurate, low report, low recoil, what's not to love?

Sure, its got its limitations, what doesn't ?
Old October 19, 2013, 06:27 PM   #10
patrickmn

100 rounds of CCI minimags is about $8 at Walmart. I know they aren't in stock most of the time, but looking at the Walmart App just now to check the price I noticed one store nearby had some.
Old October 19, 2013, 06:44 PM   #11
Closing The Gap

I keep my supply of 22 up with no trouble and pay what Walmart charges. Yep I'm in Michigan too. For our family 22 is an awesome day killing clays shooting gallery style with some reactives thrown in. It also serves as cheap reliable practice to keep our skills sharp for defensive purposes. My kids(10 and 13) started with 22 and now shoot 9mm, .40, 7.62x39, 7.62x54r, 7.62nato and 5.56/.223.

It's cheap, easy to shoot and reliable. IMO Ideal for someone starting out. We regularly head outside as a family and burn through 1000's of 22s and LOVE it. I'd trust all of our 22's in SD situations. Shot placement or not. A high capacity mag full of some hyper velocity hollow points unloaded rapidly will do the trick if needed.

Edit: We have also introduced many other families to shooting through the use of our extensive .22 firearm collection. I can say so far we haven't had one person not want to shoot with us again. Most end up shooting the bigger calibers with a little trepidation but IMO having shot the 22's first made it a smooth transition for them.
Old October 19, 2013, 07:43 PM   #12
Garycw

why the 22

It's a natural choice for Some first time shooters. I don't think anyone is trying to limit anyone to one particular round though. It's certainly very popular. That's why it all disappeared so fast off the shelves.
It's certainly suitable for more than target shooting and garden pests too.
Old October 19, 2013, 07:55 PM   #13
dakota.potts

Low recoil and noise mean no flinch. Most have smaller bolt handles and easier controls so anybody can be taught to use one.

It's not the one you have to start with. The first gun I shot was a .380, then a .40, then my 9mm. It wasn't until after I bought my handgun that I bought a .22 rifle.

Between my handgun and bolt action rifle, there's only one I can shoot all day for $20. I'll give you a hint: it's not the handgun.

Other rounds like .17 HMR, .22 WMR, etc. are all fine rounds, however, the .22LR has even more advantages over those.

More readily available
Cheaper
More selection in rifles and accessories.

You could start with a .223 or a .243, but at one point those were both a dollar a round. You could start with a .308 (that was the first rifle I shot). We're only able to shoot ours about one out of every 3 range trips, maybe up to 40 shots between the 3 of us, because the rounds are so expensive. Not to mention the recoil and flinch.

Many fine shooters have started with a Mosin Nagant and a spam can of Russian corrosive ammo.

But I think most here who have owned a .22 will agree that it's been the most effective form of training because it's cheap enough to shoot a lot and the low recoil means hits and misses are a result of your technique which you can easily work on when not fighting the kick of the gun.

I still don't have a .22 handgun. If the Kadet kit for my CZ was cheaper than $400, I'd have one of those in a heartbeat. It costs me about $70 to go out to the range and fire a couple boxes of ammo right now. As a result, I tend to lose my recoil impulse control and other progress I make because I just can't afford to shoot it enough.
Old October 20, 2013, 07:12 PM   #14
larryh1108

Quote:
Why does everyone pass off the 22 rimfire as the ideal starter caliber for everyone?
Your words, "starter caliber".

It's a way to introduce someone to the shooting sport. As others have mentioned, it's cheaper to shoot, buy and easier to control. Once the shooter becomes a good shooter with it, he (she) can move up in caliber with a solid foundation of basics (if taught well).

No one said it would be the only caliber for them, just the one they started with. Ever hear of training wheels on a bicycle? Same principle. Walking before you run. I believe it is the best caliber to introduce a new shooter to the sport. Then they can run with it and when they feel comfortable enough to move up to a bigger caliber, they do.
Old October 20, 2013, 08:14 PM   #15
Ozzieman

I like patrickmn’s answer on #6.
I would only add that if you can’t shoot a 22, you can’t shoot anything bigger so start with a 22.
Aim small miss small!

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old October 20, 2013, 09:08 PM   #16
4runnerman

51 yrs old here. Shot most everything around. Still at my age- I pull out that 10/22 and i have fun ( cheap fun I might add). As many have said already It is a great starter set up. Would you put your 8 or 9 yr old behind a 308 or 270 or such?. I would hope as a father the answer is no. Give the kid a 22 and watch him learn and grow to love the sport. It is a sport for me- I do not hunt any more ,but shoot more than most. It is family time for me and my 17 yr old Daughter.
Old October 20, 2013, 09:39 PM   #17
psyfly

I like many (most, probably) shooters my age, (insert large number here), started with the .22 and was forced to develop good accuracy.

My aunt taught me the basics and showed me how to build on those basics with a Winchester 62a.

If the necessity arose that I would have to pick up only one of my many rifles to survive with, I'd pick up my Winchester 9422 every time. If for no other reason, its versatility and, for survival, maybe more important, its discretion.

I have personally witnessed (statute of limitations long since run out, if it i might have been closely related to the shooter) white-tail deer taken with a .22 short.

While the .22 is not ideal for most any SD or hunting application, I submit that it is definitely in the running for being the most versatile.

I just wish there were an easy way to load my own .

Will

Last edited by psyfly; October 21, 2013 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Improving my grammar
Old October 21, 2013, 08:30 AM   #18
g.willikers

Long range shooters and competitors use .22 rifles for practice.
.22 behaves at 100 yds much like a .30 caliber does at 300 yds.
Since most places to practice only have 100 yd rifle ranges, it works very well.
Old October 21, 2013, 09:02 AM   #19
LOLBELL

Quote:
Why does everyone pass off the 22 rimfire as the ideal starter caliber for everyone?
Because it is
Old October 21, 2013, 12:01 PM   #20
coldbeer

Because 45-70 ammo costs too much I still take my 10/22 to every range trip and shooting event.
Old October 21, 2013, 01:56 PM   #21
Glenn E. Meyer

As far as SD, Hartman Turnbow used a 22 LR rifle with a 16 round capacity to defend himself and his family against racist night riders.

Hicap mag used in SD and a 22 LR - never would have thought it.
Old October 21, 2013, 04:26 PM   #22
markj

Quote:
you really cant do more then target shoot and garden pest control.
Best re learn what you know there. I killed a full grown deerwith my 22 at age 10, dad was upset but it was done. Killed many critters with that 22, still killing with it. Keep one in the truck, wouldnt feel under gunned with it at all.

Super accuratre, 30 rounds of fmj. It will put a hurting on ya.
Old October 21, 2013, 04:30 PM   #23
johnwilliamson062

Most of the good shooters on here would agree it takes THOUSANDS of rounds to become proficient with either a shotgun, pistol, or rifle.
I bet a good many of the posters here shoot thousands of rounds every year and some surely have for decades. When you factor the price difference for 22s and even 9mm it really adds up. Sure die hard shooters won't care about the price, but someone just starting out doesn't want to spend $500+ on ammunition a year.

I have depended on 22lr weapons in the past for defense. THere are some places where anything else is very complicated. A semi-auto with double strike capability or a revolver never worried me much.
Old October 21, 2013, 05:05 PM   #24
Skans

Really, you only need 3 firearms: one pistol - 9mm..... one rifle - .308;..... and one shotgun - 12 gauge. These three formats take care of just about anything you want to do with a firearm.

Anything else is just for kicks and giggles.
Old October 21, 2013, 05:59 PM   #25
Hal

Quote:
Really, you only need 3 firearms: one pistol - 9mm..... one rifle - .308;..... and one shotgun - 12 gauge
I'd say .357 instead of 9mm - but - I do tend to agree w/that.
I'd even go so far as to say you only need the 12 ga or the .357.

Quote:
Here is what bugs me. Why does everyone pass off the 22 rimfire as the ideal starter caliber for everyone?
Not everyone....
I for one don't.
Closed Thread