The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 27, 2004, 05:04 PM   #1
stagolee

Mossberg 590 w/Ghost Ring + Heat Shield. Explain Incompatibility.

Hey, I have a Mossberg Persuader 590 w/Ghost Ring sights. Mossberg plainly states that their heat shield will not mount on the Ghost Ring models.

To my naked eye, I can't see why I can't have the heat shield on my shotgun. The line of sight is not obstructed, the movement of the pump does not appear to be obstructed. I've never gotten a good, clear answer from Mossberg or the various merchants I've asked.

The best answer that I've been able to deduce is that maybe it's related to cumbersome installation/removal process and the risk of trapping moisture under the hardware. I don't know for sure... this is simply my best guess.

So, I'm turning to you folks.

Why can't I mount Mossberg's heat shield on my Mossberg 590 Ghost Ring model shotgun?
Old November 27, 2004, 11:26 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Best guess is, the heat shield won't fit over the front sight during installation.

Some heat shields are riveted or welded together at the front end, and the hole isn't big enough to slip over the taller front sight.
Old November 29, 2004, 02:45 PM   #3
MrAcheson

I have a heat shield model and you're right, it looks like it would fit. The problem is that the heat shield goes on over the business end of the barrel, so you can't put the darned thing on with the taller GR sights. You can pull the barrel and try to put it on from the receiver end, but the barrel tapers and the heat shield tapers with it so the receiver end of the barrel is too large as well.

You should be able to design or make a heat shield that will work, but the stock mossberg part won't. No promises with generics either.

I have the standard thickness barrel, and the heat shield is a pretty tight fit between the magazine tube and the barrel. I don't think there is enough clearance for the heavy barrel 590A1s to mount them either.
Old November 29, 2004, 09:23 PM   #4
stagolee

It looks like the two of you have solved that mystery.

I'll look for a third-party heat shield. Or, perhaps, concoct a modification to the forward mounting bracket on the Mossberg shield.

Thanks.
Old November 30, 2004, 02:13 AM   #5
AUG

Or you could just skip the heatshield all together?

I have taken two shotgun classes from Louis Awerbuck and never once saw the need for a heatshield.
Old November 30, 2004, 09:41 PM   #6
stagolee

I like the way it looks. Nothing more. Nothing less.
Old November 30, 2004, 10:56 PM   #7
AUG

I know what you mean.

Then again my serious shotguns are very plain jane.

I use 18" 870's without a mag extender. I think the 870 with the standard mag tube feels just about perfect. With the extra rounds I feel like the shotgun gets muzzle heavy and does not handle as well.
Old December 20, 2004, 05:03 AM   #8
ccwolff

A tac star universal on my 590.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 590for.JPG (90.0 KB, 359 views)
File Type: jpg 590aft.JPG (79.6 KB, 319 views)
File Type: jpg 590shild.JPG (62.5 KB, 339 views)
Old December 22, 2004, 11:51 AM   #9
stagolee

Thanks for the pics. I'll look into the TacStar universal heat shield.