The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 12, 2005, 09:37 AM   #1
too many choices!?

to all that own machineguns

If the '86 ban on new registration was overturned would you mind taking a loss on your collection in order to be able to make and register new machineguns? I am almost sure I know the answer for most of u, prove me right. Yeah your mp5 goes down in value but you can now have a transferable g11 if you can afford it and the ammo . What do you think?

Last edited by too many choices!?; January 12, 2005 at 09:44 PM. Reason: u know
Old January 12, 2005, 07:38 PM   #2
MeekAndMild

Don't know that there would be a loss. Big foreign trade deficits mean bad inflation.
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old January 12, 2005, 08:33 PM   #3
Benton

I can't imagine that any shooter-collector would be anything but pleased to see an increased availability and decrease prices for any type of firearms. Someone fretting about the drop in their property's value to the point where it takes precedence over greater opportunities for ownership for themselves and others cannot be properly considered an enthusiast of firearms for study, shooting, and sport. Those people are just managing a portfolio of assets that might as well be financial stocks or widgets.

I'd gladly see my Uzi drop to $100 if new automatics could be imported and manufactured for sale to regular people.
Old January 12, 2005, 10:33 PM   #4
Hkmp5sd

Yep!

I'd be overjoyed for the overall value of my toys to drop by $30,000 if I could pick up a Glock 18 and a P90.

Quote:
new automatics could be imported
Killing the '86 ban wouldn't change that. That comes from the '68 GCA. Would have to wait until they made them in the US.
Old January 12, 2005, 11:47 PM   #5
Benton

Hkmp5sd,

You are correct about the effect of the 1968 GCA. Perhaps I was taking the initiating post's reference to the possibility of owning G11s as permission to range freely into the realm of fantasy. With that little constrait, however, I suppose we might as well dream of the overturn of the 1934 NFA. Too bad that law didn't have a 10 year sunset clause in it - maybe WWII would have produced a new mood in the Congress regarding the benefits of armed citizenry since we were sending weapons to British Home Guard and dropping STEns and Liberator pistols to the French resistance. Just an alternate universe speculation.
Old January 13, 2005, 11:01 AM   #6
too many choices!?

Not Fantasy!

My idea was that if the '86 ban was repealed then IF you could make one from plans( ) and make ammo( ) you could apply to register one( ). That is why the original post says ,"to make and register", but looking back the way it is written is a little vague. So no you could not import one for yourself but you could make one. I don't believe the '68 ban can even be talked about being repealed until something happened with the '86 ban on registration though. Oh yeah, same thing with the p90. If you(or a domestic manufacturer) could build it its all good. As a gesture of good faith with the government we all agree not to race to be the first on the block with a quad .50 in the front yard/on the roof/on the bass boat/flat bed truck !!!!!
Old January 14, 2005, 09:10 PM   #7
kt007006

it would take an act of God for that to happen. but all i've got is a m-11 so i wouldn't take a big hit. but if i did who cares. i'd sell my car and get about a $30,000 dollar loan and have the time of my life. that is one of the dumbest bans besides the assault weapon ban to date, in my opinion.