The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old July 7, 2002, 06:22 AM   #1
Natava

Outdoor ranges vs Indoor ranges

Is there any reason that most people prefer outdoor ranges to indoor, in the respect to shooting handguns?

The reason I ask is because I lived in two other states & all that was available was outdoor ranges. In Florida, they have in indoor ranges & outdoor ranges. I enjoy these indoor ranges, as they seem more fun to me & if they have competition shoots, there's alot they can do inside to make it more fun, especially if they have combat shooting competitions.

I just don't seem to have as much fun outside as I do inside, w/ the exception of shooting a gallon of water outside & enjoying the outdoors. I like the outside once in a while, but find the indoors more fun as far a shooting.

What does anyone else think? Have outdoor ranges become better than they use to be?
Fav Quote: "Dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willing to trade all the days, from this day to that, for one chance . . . just one chance to come back here and tell our enemies, that they may take our lives, but they'll never take, our FREEDOM!"

Last edited by Natava; July 7, 2002 at 12:21 PM.
Old July 8, 2002, 10:43 AM   #2
ACP230

I rarely shoot indoors from April to November. Outside it is less noisy and usually less crowded too. When I have an outdoor range to myself I can walk up to within arms length of a silhouetter target to practice for an in-your-face confrontation. It is hard to do that inside. Outdoors I can shoot at 50 to 400 yards with a rifle, depending on the range. Another thing I can't do indoors. It is difficult to sight in a deer rifle on a 75 foot indoor range. Here the competition shooting all moves outdoors in spring and summer too.
I prefer outdoor ranges, as long as the snow isn't up to my knees.
Old July 8, 2002, 11:00 AM   #3
braindead0

At least in my area, I have yet to find an indoor range with decent lighting. I suppose it's okay for practicing shooting under adverse conditions, but I like to be able to see the front sight..
Old July 8, 2002, 11:30 AM   #4
Bacchus

I agree with the above posts, especially with regard to the noise levels. I always have to double plug my ear protection in indoor ranges.

Also, I have found that outdoor ranges generally permit greater movement, even if it's just walking back and forth to the target stand. And it's hard to place a premium on the changes in scenery outside according to the season.

Lots of outdoor ranges are cheaper, too.
Old July 8, 2002, 12:11 PM   #5
hksigwalther

I can get away with just using ear plugs in the outdoor ranges. Indoors, I prefer ear muffs. The problem with muffs become apparent when you shoot a shotgun or rifle.

Generally, at least where I shoot, the indoor rages are limited to 25 yds at the most. The outfoor range I frequent has a range that goes out to 600 yards. The range I go to also has available for use a 100 yd rimfire range, 100 yd general purpose range, 50 yd gp range, shogun range, 200 yd silhoutte range, full auto range, indoor .22 lr range. In most of the ranges you can set up your own targets at any range from the line. They hold IPSC/IDPA type shoots also as well as plate shoots.

The only shortcomings of outdoor ranges are the wind and the weather. The sun rises/sets left/right and the shooting areas are roofed so glare isn't too big of a problem.

The indoor ranges do seem to be a bit more confining to me nowadays. They do, however, help keep the muzzle of long guns pointed down range due to the dividers between stalls. The indoor range I use to go to frequently now has steel plates as dividers so there is some protection from AD/NDs between stalls. Indoor ranges can be run during the dark evenings too.
Old July 8, 2002, 05:55 PM   #6
hitnthexring

Bacchus,

You won't have to double-plug your ears if you buy a pair of "Howard Leight Hearing Protectors." They have a NRR rating of 31.
Old July 9, 2002, 05:47 PM   #7
Natava

Thank you for your responses. I really appreciate them.
Now I understand the considerations: time of day, noise, possible crowd, weather, lighting, price, & range of distance.

I'm unsure why Indoor Ranges don't have better lighting, but I noticed even at the Police Range, one that I've been to, had the same not-so-great lighting.

I like the indoor range as I can put or change the target myself, by pulling the target holder to me with a switch & quickly. I hope I'm never w/ in arms length of an intruder. LOL

I feel alot safer indoors, although I think the more experienced shooters prefer the outdoor range.

Outdoor ranges are cheaper w/ the annual fee, but usually farther for me. I try to make a deal w/ the indoor ranges, because I'm a fairly new NRA instructor. The last city I lived in only charged me $3.00 an hour. Some Indoor ranges won't budge & loose my customer's possible future customer business as well.
There's usually one or two in an area that are just plain nice & kind & you know you can count on them for support because they said so & they remember you.
I guess I just got so tired of plain outdoor ranges, from my past, since the 1970's, fields of dirt. I'm sure they have improved, but I'll have to find them.

Does anyone know if the NRA member outdoor ranges are more fun than a normal outdoor range? I know they usually give a discount.
Old July 9, 2002, 07:38 PM   #8
Bacchus

What do you mean by NRA member ranges?

I've seen some ranges that are only open to "members" of the club, and sometimes the NRA sponsors the club.
Old July 9, 2002, 08:01 PM   #9
Natava

In Florida, I met a lady & her husband at a NRA annual friends dinner & they own a outdoor range . She told me they have an NRA shooting range & if your an NRA member, you get a discount.

Now I lived on an island, Maui for 7-8 yrs, so I'm no expert in knowledge re: NRA ranges & regular ranges, all I know is this lady & her husband have a shooting range & their card for the range states NRA.
I don't know if that helps, but that's all I know. I never went because it's easy to get lost here after living on a simple island. Now, I live even further from her than I did when I met her.
In Maui, there was only one shooting range & it was a very simple dirt range w/ sand rock in the background. Most people shoot on their land or friend's land.