The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 13, 2013, 12:12 AM   #1
tahunua001

OK it's finally happening steyr 95

my Local indoor range which is rapidly becoming my favorite FFL is going through the process of getting their FFL on file with century so that they can order me a 95/34. I requested that they try to get me an excellent condition model but since a little birdie told me they are sold out that I would be willing to get one of the regular 'good' condition rifles. to keep my options open I told them that it didn't matter if I got an austrian or hungarian model but now I'm hoping more for austrian(seems more central to the 3rd reich and would round out my WWII collection).

I have 100 pieces of sized and primed PPU brass, 159 330 diameter bullets 205-210gr and lots of varget, 3031 and 4064 for making loads. I also spent a great deal of time building my own handloading guide from a number of online sources. I also have 10 rounds of nazi stamped surplus and 8 or 9 enblocs so I should be ready to go when it gets here.

is there anything I need to know about these rifles? special attention and care? places that like to harbor cosmoline? what condition do these normally come from century?

and perhaps the most important question of all:how bad/conspicuous is the import mark on these?
Old July 13, 2013, 12:20 AM   #2
lordhedgwich

I got mine from JG and there wasnt very much cosmo on it but, i had one hell of a time taking the bolt apart and getting it back together. and my import mark is very ugly and noticeable. Mine is austrian and i really enjoy shooting it. I got 2 enbloc clips from liberty tree collectors
Old July 13, 2013, 12:24 AM   #3
tahunua001

last year I actually traded a mosin nagant stock for a bunch of mixed hungarian and nazi stamped enblocs. the poor shop keeper thought he was unloading junk that he was never going to sell in exchange for a stock he could sell pretty easily.

as of the last gun show he is still trying to sell that stock for the same price I was asking... guess I lucked out there.
Old July 13, 2013, 01:09 AM   #4
lordhedgwich

Here are some pics of my steyr Sorry for using attachments but i can never get a normal pic posted for some reason.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 969908_622266711131473_1798071410_n.jpg (29.8 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 971519_622266464464831_2072409897_n.jpg (67.5 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 1005289_622266737798137_1054509820_n.jpg (47.6 KB, 71 views)
Old July 13, 2013, 01:13 PM   #5
tahunua001

I normally use photobucket and copy the direct link URL into the insert image tool. nice rifle. yeah century have gotten really bad with their import marks. it wasn't bad when they went under the muzzle and other less conspicuous locations.
Old July 14, 2013, 10:23 AM   #6
lordhedgwich

yeah it is right in your face, but i still really like my steyr its one of my favorite guns too bad ammo is so exspensive
Old July 14, 2013, 11:07 AM   #7
Melkiper

I just picked one up from JG at the end of June(I might have actually bought there last one ahah) and mine also didn't have much cosmoline on it. I got 2 clips from liberty tree for around 18 bucks including shipping.

Shooting it is both a little rough(im kinda small) but a whole lot of fun, and the ammo so far hasn't been too bad on the wallet(19.99 for 20 Prvi)

Now I just gotta get a bayonet and some surplus ammo to make it more complete.

Have fun and enjoy your new Steyr!

O also this is a good video I found on the bolt disassemble
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXOSGRXguXM

AT the 7:30 mark is a real good tip if you are having trouble getting the bolt back in place
Old July 14, 2013, 11:09 AM   #8
lordhedgwich

I got my clips from liberty tree also where did you pick up the surplus ammo?
Old July 14, 2013, 01:37 PM   #9
tahunua001

if I can reload for under $1 a round I'll be OK with it. if I could find a 330 bullet mold I would cast my own and be closer to 20 cents a round but alas, I can't find them so I'll probably be stuck buying hornady or PRVI bullets.
Old July 15, 2013, 11:30 AM   #10
BoogieMan

I love mine also. I had to have a Hungarian rifle. I topped it off with a Frommer Stop and a FEG PA63 pistol to round out my Hungarian arsenal.
I found endblocks on eBay pretty cheap, my LGS had some 1938 surplus ammo for $1rnd with endblocks (bought all 90rnds) and PVI from AIM was around $22 for 20rnds. I was also able to find Lee die set on gunbroker for $35. Now I just have to shoot up the PVI stuff and get some powder and bullets.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old July 17, 2013, 09:57 PM   #11
lagavulin62

I haven't seen a PA-63 around lately. I had considered it once due to the aluminum frame. Thought it might be a good beach gun. Last time I saw one they were around 160. What are they going for now?
Old July 23, 2013, 08:01 PM   #12
kilimanjaro

Bullets are at Grafs today, Hornady or PRVI.
Old July 23, 2013, 10:24 PM   #13
tahunua001

mines a mixture. 100 are the hornady 205grs and 59, 210gr are from a company called DKT bullets. never heard of them and and can't find much about them online. I should be good for a while yet, I don't shoot too often and if I do find I like this thing I'll probably invest in a custom mold and do some cheap cast loads.

a little update. the FFL went through today but they are out of excellent conditions so I'm stuck with a good, not that I'm complaining. as long as I get one that's nicer than my last mosin nagant and MAS36 then I am happy.
Old August 28, 2013, 05:16 PM   #14
tahunua001

it's finally here!!!
century was all out of 95/34s... not a single one in any grade I'm afraid so I had to settle for a fair-to-good straight 95 carbine. it has about as much cosmoline as a mosin nagant and is quite gummy right now. the century bastards took a grinder to the reciever to make a surface that they could etch their import mark on so it looks like hot dog dookie but the stock is in very good shape considering and the rest of the metal has decent finish still intact. will clean it up, add some linseed, check the bore and post some pics, hopefully by tomorrow night.
Old August 28, 2013, 06:04 PM   #15
Cheapshooter

Congratulations! Now your next expendature, thirty bucks for a C&R FFL. So you no longer have to mess with a LGS for C&R firearms. Or is Idaho one of the People's Republics that don't allow guns to be shipped directly to 03FFL holders
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 28, 2013, 06:15 PM   #16
tahunua001

idaho is cool with it and I would actually be pretty ok with the idea if my collection wasn't so close to being complete.

M1917 and swedish M38 are about the only things left I want...
Old August 30, 2013, 11:04 AM   #17
tahunua001

ok update.

got it all cleaned up and cosmo out of it, not quite as bad as a mosin nagant or SKS but it was still quite a bit. getting the bolt back together was a huge pain... had to work so hard I ended up with blisters on my fingers... got it back together though. the stock is in pretty rough shape compared to the initial assessment. there are a number of large chunks out of it at the bottom of the butt and there are a few slivers stripping off around the receiver but the wood grain is one the nicest I own. I'll be using 220grit sand paper to remove the surface cosmo and finish with 600 grit before giving it a couple coats of linseed.

the bore is a larger concern. it's got quite a bit of pitting, nothing deep or otherwise concerning but far from a smooth polished bore. the rifling seems pretty worn as well. the crown is still in pretty decent shape at least.

I also got a bit of cold blue paste and touched up the area that CAI ground off for their etching. it may take a couple more treatments but the overall appearance is much better than the liquid cold blueing solution. I highly recommend Permablue paste.
Old September 2, 2013, 07:15 PM   #18
DennisCA

Post some pic's man - don't keep us in suspense!

BTW - I picked up a Steyr M95 Carbine from J&G Sales last year (Black Friday Special: $79.00 + shipping!):

(that light mark on the stock, under the bolt isn't damage - it's just the way the sun light hit it)