The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 12, 2002, 08:27 PM   #1
jakester

Shotgun Choice for 3-Gun

My club is shooting more 2-gun and 3-gun matches. Unfortunately, my only shotgun is a Mossberg 835 with a 5-shot mag. What does everyone recommend for a "reasonably" inexpensive shotgun to fill the void until I can scratch up enough money for the Winchester Super X2 Practical? I have been looking at inexpensive pumps like the Winchester 1300, Remington 870, and Mossberg 590. Any experience/preference between these shotguns? I have heard a lot of positives about the Winchester 1300, but Remington's 870 seems better supported in the aftermarket accessory business.
Old August 12, 2002, 09:40 PM   #2
Andrew Wyatt

You'd be better served by the mosssberg, since you already have one. people tend to over look the advantages of having several different guns that have the same handling characteristics and manual of arms.
Old August 12, 2002, 09:46 PM   #3
spd522

I would just use the one you have for the time being. Lot's of matches I have shot in only allow you to start with 5 in the gun anyway to make the playing field even in that respect. Why spend money on another that you will have to add more $$$ to just to make it a little more competative. If you bought an 870 and added some accessories, you could easily have $400 in it. And then you would just be $400 behind on getting what you really want.

I shoot a Benelli and love it. I have also shot tricked out 1100s, 11-87s,and Berettas and all have their high and low points. I have not had the opportunity to shoot an X2 but have handled them and watched them in action. I'm willing to tolerate a bit more felt recoil with the light and fast handling Benelli in exchange for the weight of the others. In all honesty, it's the shooter's skill that wins and not the latest hot rod shotgun with all the bells and whistles -no matter what make it is.
Old August 12, 2002, 10:56 PM   #4
jem375

I say go for a used Remington 1100.....and find out what you would have to do to it to be competitive.........mag. extension and etc........
Old August 13, 2002, 12:24 PM   #5
TaxPhd

jem375 has got it right.

Prowl the gun shows for a used 1100. I've seen them in good shape for $250-$300 or so. Put a mag tube on it and you're good to go.

"Those who live by the sword are probably pretty f***ing good at it."

"Instructions for a successful gunfight: Front Sight, Press Trigger, repeat
as necessary." - B. Braxton
Old August 13, 2002, 12:40 PM   #6
Jeeper

I use a benelli but would have bought an 1100 if I did it over again. THey are cheap and have a ton of avaiable extras
Old August 13, 2002, 02:02 PM   #7
Correia

I would just save up for the one that you really want. You will get there a lot faster that way.
Old August 13, 2002, 02:39 PM   #8
Riz

I use a Mossy 590 for our 3 gun shoots. Im just as fast with it as most people are with a simi auto. Althought I miss a few targets are 'rock throwing distance' with slugs but I cant blame that on the gun
I have to agree with Correia, figure out what you really want and save up for it.
"buy once, cry once"
My .1/2 Cents
Riz
Old August 13, 2002, 04:05 PM   #9
jem375

Go to jpar15.com and see what they do and have for the 3 gun competitions.........if you want to spend the money they have one all set up for competition.......or have kits for you also..........I talked to the owner at our gun club and he is heavy into 3 gun competition.......
Old August 14, 2002, 06:33 PM   #10
Andrew Wyatt

*shrug* I just use My HD shotgun for 3 gun stuff. It's what I'll have available if i ever need it and the competetion gives me more trigger time with it.

I strongly suggest that you use what you'll have avaliable to you if you have to fire shots in anger.
Old August 14, 2002, 06:35 PM   #11
TaxPhd

Why wouldn't a tricked out competition gun be available?

"Those who live by the sword are probably pretty f***ing good at it."

"Instructions for a successful gunfight: Front Sight, Press Trigger, repeat
as necessary." - B. Braxton
Old August 14, 2002, 08:50 PM   #12
Andrew Wyatt

economics. If i had a 1500 dollar shotguin, i for damn sure wouldn't leave it out of the safe.
Old August 14, 2002, 10:53 PM   #13
Correia

Andrew, just pull it out of the safe when you get home. Ain't nobody going to take it then.

Currently my HD gun is my 3 gun shotgun. Remington 870, few basic modifications. Nothing fancy at all. Bonus of this is that I get plenty of practice on my main gun. I guess I look at competition as a kind of fun practice. Use my CCW gun for the pistol too.

I would kind of like to try out a Saiga 12 though.