The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 27, 2010, 08:46 AM   #1
goofysets

1903 Springfield Question

Hi all,
I am new to this forum and had a question I hope you can help me with. I recently inherited a Springfield Armory 1903 Springfield, with a serial # 134XXXX from my grandfather. (It's pretty cool, especially since the receipt from the Marine base in which he purchased it was stored in the stock) At one time, he tried to sporterize the rifle, and since I inherited it, I wanted to return it to look like it did originally. I recently purchased a stock from Sarco as well as the handguard and bands necessary to complete it. As I fastened the barrel to the stock, I noticed that it lifts off quite a bit in toward the front of the stock. Is this common and will it lay down correctly once the handguard and bands are fastened (I sent back the handguard as it did not match the stock and they are sending a new one) or does it sound like I have done something incorrect?
Unfortunately, I am not a techie, as I can't get the pictures I have taken to upload, but if anyone has had any experience with this I'd appreciate it.
Old March 27, 2010, 09:37 AM   #2
JT-AR-MG42

Manage your photos

GS,

I use liveviewpro to downsize the photos I take so they will load on sites like this.

From the serial, it sounds lke you have one of the best (double heat treated receiver) the Gov. ever made and the papers are really nice to have with it.

What is the barrel date out on the front of the barrel by the rear sight? My guess is between 1933 and 1936. How close?

As far as attaching the action to the wood, I always run the forward screw up first, attaching the receiver at the lug. I then put in the tang screw and tighten them front first.

I am glad you hare happy with Sarco. My choice would have been to find the parts on GB or on of the chat sites like this one.

Thirty years ago, when you got FFL discounts, Sarco sent me a POS for an item I ordered. When my dealer returned it, they sent his FFL back with the check. Best thing that ever happened!!

Without photos, it is hard to say if the stock is warped or not.

Again, that sounds like a nice rig. JT
Old March 27, 2010, 11:31 AM   #3
medalguy

It should fit snug into the stock. It it doesn't, then when you put the handguard on and tighten the screws it will rattle in the stock. Definitely not good in a mil rifle. But it should not fit too tight either. Only minor pressure should be required to assemble all of it together, BTW, Sarco is not known for their quality parts...:barf:
Old March 27, 2010, 11:55 AM   #4
goofysets

Thanks for the quick replies fellas. I lucked out and inherited the Springfield and an Arisaka type 99 with the chrysanthemum stamped on it. The date on the front of the Springifeld barrel reads 3-38. I also think I got the attachment this time. I my have to back out the screws and try to reattach it, that may be the problem. I had a hell of a time getting both screws to start, if I lined up the forward one to attach the barrel, the back one would be just a little off and wouldn't thread and vice versa. There was no play at all so it did take quite some time before I got it. As a matter of fact, I had to stop last night because I was so frustrated and try again. This is my first time replacing a stock so I appreciate all the suggestions.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3621.jpg (180.8 KB, 64 views)
Old March 27, 2010, 12:17 PM   #5
Malamute

Be sure the stock barrel channel is inletted for the rear sight. The stock you have is called a "scant grip" and was used late in the second World War, mainly on 1903-A3's. I believe most stocks were capable of being used with the earlier guns, but I'm not sure. The problems you were having with getting the screws to start are another indication that the stock may not be inletted for the early type (1903) rear sight.

The barrel and action should lay completely down in the stock all along it's length, screws or no.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old March 27, 2010, 07:44 PM   #6
PetahW

Yep - It looks like the wrong stock was sent you.

Compare it's inletting with the inletting of the original/chopped stock you got with the rifle - which you KNOW is inletted correctly.

Old March 27, 2010, 08:52 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

Most of the later WWII replacement stocks will take either the 03A3 handguard ring or the 1903 rear sight base.

However, I think those stocks may be newly made ones, and if so may need some inletting and adjusting as the ones I have seen are not quite right, where ones made on a government contract fit with no problems. You may need to do some inletting and redrilling (elongating) the holes to get things to fit.

Check with Sarco, but I cannot imagine a genuine GI stock that has hole distance problems.

Jim
Old March 31, 2010, 09:52 PM   #8
Malamute

Jim, I'd guess the hole spacing thing is about the action not seating into the stock properly, more than the actual spacing.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old April 1, 2010, 03:14 PM   #9
goofysets

I finally got it in correctly. I laid the barrel in the stock correctly and turned it over to see where the bolt holes lined up on the stock in relation to the barrel/receiver and the rear hole was off just a little. I punched out the metal bushing in the bolt hole, and opened it up a hair with a drill bit and now it fits quite well. Thanks for all your input and help on this.

One final question...should I rub linseed oil or anything on the stock or leave it as is?