The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 6, 2008, 12:01 AM   #1
bigpappa10mm

Crossdrawing 7 1/2 SA Army

I was thinking of moving my 7.5 to crossdraw and using a Slim Jim holster but ran across a post that they are a little heavy for this type of holster and try to roll over unless under coat, any opinions
Old March 6, 2008, 12:45 AM   #2
CraigC

Nothing wrong with a longer barrelled sixgun in crossdraw mode. Actually makes the longer barrels easier to draw.
Old March 6, 2008, 06:44 AM   #3
mykeal

Depends completely on the quality of the holster. You need good, thick leather for something like that; a heavy gun will eat a thin, inexpensive holster alive. Same with the belt. I suggest a high quality horsehide leather, the thicker the better.
Old March 6, 2008, 08:22 AM   #4
sundance44s

I use a crossdraw slim jim when I hunt to carry my side arm an 1858 Remmie with conversion cylinder ..You need a wide belt to keep these holsters from rolling like you mentioned ..I use a 2 and 3/4 inch wide belt . Its a light set up easy to move with the left hand when you squat or sit , it feels natural .
Old March 6, 2008, 09:45 PM   #5
berkmberk1

I was thinking of two slim jims.....one for the Navy and one for my 7.5 1873.

I was also trying to picture the two holsters switched from one side to the other in a "normal draw" mode. I have this picture in my head of the rig Steve McQueen wore in the 'Magnificent Seven'. It was raked back and obviously made for a 5.5 in Colt, not his 7.5......sort of a "quick draw" setup.

You also notice he didn't have a cartridge belt!??? His character must have been one heck of a gunslinger if all he needed were the six rounds in his gun........or else his pockets must have been PRETTY FULL!!!
Old March 6, 2008, 10:17 PM   #6
fat old gun nut

slim jims

I use 2 slim jims. One for a 71/2"SAA and one tied lower for a 71/2" Scofield. Both are on 2" thick gun belts and work great.
Old March 17, 2008, 02:01 PM   #7
countryboywithgun

crossdraw

I just got a cross draw for my 58 remmy. I just bought a cheap one from oklahoma leather to make sure i like it. i have tried it both strong side and cross draw and the crossdraw is my favorite. I wasn't sure but i only paid $21 for the holster including shipping so now i know and as soon as it shows wear i will get a better holster. Much better than paying $100 plus then not liking it:barf: i still need a belt and if i switch my conversion to bp i will get all of the pouches and bags to carry that stuff.
Old March 17, 2008, 05:47 PM   #8
berkmberk1

Did you get the actual Slim Jim holster (like #3 or 4) or one of the tooled models the SAA fits in? (like #2). I was thinking of getting two like #2 as I found my 1851 and 1858 both fit the holster my 7.5 in. SAA came in, a plain strong side double loop.

Also, if the cap and ball model holsters, are they vertical or canted?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (7.0 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (6.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (7.7 KB, 46 views)
Old March 17, 2008, 05:49 PM   #9
berkmberk1

I forgot to add, I have one of the Oklahoma gun belts, 40 rounds, it seems pretty substantial and well made. If their holsters are the same quality, I would say you could wear that sort of rig every day and it would last you indefinitely.
Old March 17, 2008, 09:44 PM   #10
countryboywithgun

slim jim

it is the image# 4 (the third picture). I actually bought it through http://www.possibleshop.com/ same picture as the one you uploaded from oklahoma leather. prices were much better. I paid $16 plus shipping ($22 total) and from the oklahoma leather website the same slim jim started at $19 plus shipping. the 58 fits perfect, i have left it in so the leather conforms to it. it is not the thickest but it looks well made, especially for the price. it is canted so it rides perfect as a cross draw holster either on a loose belt around the waist or on the belt holding your pants up. Like i said i like it and i am glad i did not spend a ton of $$ to get one i might or might not like and if it does wear out i will get another probably from the possible shop again. i will try their belts too. i think alot of their stuff comes from oklahoma and el paso saddelry, both good companies. This place just sells them cheaper