The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 4, 2014, 03:08 PM   #1
Cowboy9931

Rounds not entering battery

I'm pretty new to reloading rifle rounds so please bear with me. I am getting about 50% of completed rounds not loading fully. I'm not sure what the issue is.

I am following the Hornady reloading guide. I have trimmed and de-blurred all my brass to 2.005 after resizing. I am loading Berger 155g VLD target and seating to a C.O.A.L of 2.710 and that is under Hornady's 2.810.

Now I have also compared my rounds not fitting to the ones that do as well as to boxed Remington and Hornady rounds, and the specs are the same or slightly under.

What gives? I am at a loss.
Old May 4, 2014, 03:30 PM   #2
Bart B.

If a new case chambers easily as the bolt closes on it locking up full into battery, I think your fired cases are not being sized enough. You may need to screw the die down 1/16th of a turn.

What type of sizing die are you using? How did you set it in the press?

Last edited by Bart B.; May 4, 2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old May 4, 2014, 03:36 PM   #3
Cowboy9931

All cases have been once-fired. I am using a Hornady Lock-n-Load press with RCBS dies. I took diligent care to set the die up correctly. At least I think so.

Some rounds are free and easy the chamber, some are pretty stiff and the remainder just won't enter. Well, they enter the chamber fully but the bolt won't rotate to close.

Last edited by Cowboy9931; May 4, 2014 at 03:44 PM.
Old May 4, 2014, 03:45 PM   #4
Bart B.

There's probably enough spring in the press that the die needs to be about .002" to .003" lower. Loosen the die and it's lock ring then screw the die down into its lock ring so it's circumference moves about 3/16 inch around it. A 1/10 inch change moves the die about .002". Lock the ring on the die then reinstall it on the press and resize another fired case.

This sets the fired case shoulder back enough to overcome the press spring when full length sizing. Before, it was probably not set back enough from being pushed forward as the fired case body started being sized down.

Last edited by Bart B.; May 4, 2014 at 03:51 PM.
Old May 4, 2014, 03:59 PM   #5
Cowboy9931

That makes a lot of sense. I will try that later tonight and let you know what happens.

Thank you so much. (Keeping my gingers crossed)
Old May 4, 2014, 04:37 PM   #6
JimDandy

You may also want to look into a case gauge, sometimes AKA A Go-No-Go Gauge. Lyman and Wilson are the common brands for those things. After you size it, drop it in a Go-No-Go to make sure it's a Go.
Old May 4, 2014, 05:06 PM   #7
Bart B.

Read post 35 in this thread:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...+spacer&page=2

Post 33 in that thread explains why.

I've done this and compared readings to expensive case headspace gauges. Best price-performance ratio I know of to measure case headspace to set full length sizing dies to bump fired bottleneck case shoulders .002"; about perfect for long case life and best accuracy.

Note the standard reference diameter on .308 Win cases (chamber too) is .400" but for just measuring how much fired case shoulders are set back by sizing, that nylon bushing's 3/8" inside diameter will work perfectly.

Last edited by Bart B.; May 4, 2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old May 4, 2014, 11:05 PM   #8
bt380

Making the assumption you have the correct components and load data from a current manual for "that" bullet:
-
Take several resized pieces of brass only and drop it in the chamber. Does it kerplunk ok? Lets say it was 40 cal brass that has been fired out of a glock with unsupported chamber (or any other unsupported chamber). The resizer won't reach far enough to size the lower portion of the shell.
-
Lets say it kerplunks ok. Pass it thru the system minus the powder and primer. Does it still kerplunk. If not, did the crimp not work?
-
Lets say it keplunks ok. Try a few more and verify ok.
-
Lets say all testing is ok.
-
Measure the oal and use the rounds with closest oals for a full mag.
Load up a mag. Empty the mag, reload the mag and repeat two or three more times and re-measure the oals? Did they change? Possible loose crimp.
-
Load up several but only place one round in at a time to shoot at the range. Manually load each to ensure all load an shoot correctly. All ok?
-
Now add the rounds to the mag and repeat test with oals recorded to verify for changes. Changes, go back an read the manual and the instructions for the die. It should be working.
-
Old May 5, 2014, 12:44 AM   #9
Jim243

It sounds like you are resizing 308 brass and you have not set the shoulder back enough. To insure your brass will fit and completely chamber for your AR-10 you will need to "Small Base" resize the cases and make sure you have set the shoulder back properly. Bottle neck cases index on the shoulder not the mouth or rim.

The case gauge will insure that you have your resizing die set correctly for your caliber.

A "Small Base" resizing die will insure that the case gets completely resized to the correct dimensions this is especially necessary for cases used in semi-auto rifles. This corrected a problem I had with 223 in a national match chamber (cut very tight). Where the rifle would not go to battery.

Jim

Last edited by Jim243; May 5, 2014 at 12:49 AM.
Old May 5, 2014, 06:44 AM   #10
Bart B.

I don't think its an AR10 but instead a bolt action rifle. I've never heard of a "national match" chamber for any commercial or military cartridge based on some military specification akin to national match military rifles and ammunition. There's no standard for all the commercial chambers dubbed " national match."

Small base dies make case body diameters smaller than standard dies. Their headspace is the same as standard ones. Sized case headspace has to be the same with both die types so excessive head clearance won't cause incipient case head separation.

Exactly what are the standards and tolerances for a "kerplunk" test? Never heard of any audible sound based measurements of physical dimensions. What's the audible difference a case with headspace too long for the chamber makes compared to one dangerously too short but will chamber easily?

Last edited by Bart B.; May 5, 2014 at 07:20 AM.
Old May 5, 2014, 12:06 PM   #11
Cowboy9931

I never said the type I rifle. I am shooting a Remington 700.

The solution of lowering the die seems to be doing the trick. Thank you so much for all the tips and advice.
Old May 5, 2014, 12:21 PM   #12
Bart B.

You're welcome, Cowboy.

It's normal that a batch of resized cases to have a few thousandths spread in their head to shoulder dimension. As long as the longest ones are about a thousandth less than the chambers same dimension (headspace), you're doing everything perfect. Best accuracy and long case life.

Glad to hear you did all the right stuff.