The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 15, 2015, 11:30 AM   #1
Idaho 45 Vaquero

Very Cheap Shotgun

Howdy All,

I got a friend who has never owned any guns, and lives in a small apartment in a rough neighborhood. Because of particular recent events he wants to purchase a firearm. Until his marksmanship improves, and because he is not old enough to purchase a handgun, I suggested he get a simple shotgun. He is very much on a budget and was hoping for getting a reliable shotgun for under $200 total cost. He has gone shooting with me and has used my 12 gauge (a fine valuable double barrel). I am in the process of teaching him firearm safety and use.

I don't have much personal experience with cheap shotguns. I know there is the old H&R single shots and Rossi Wizards that are reliable in that price range. I was wondering if there are any good pump action models or repeaters that are under $200? H&R Pardner Pump is one i've noticed online. Is it any good?
Old April 15, 2015, 03:01 PM   #2
g.willikers

There must be tons of used Remington 870s and Mossberg 500s around for that price.
Old April 15, 2015, 03:17 PM   #3
FITASC

Mossberg's Maverick will be under $200 @ Walmart typically.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 15, 2015, 04:08 PM   #4
Onward Allusion

New - Maverick 88, Pardner Protector, Rock Island & a few others...
Used - Remington 870, Winchester 1200
Old April 15, 2015, 04:24 PM   #5
Bake

I really don't like "CHEAP SHOTGUNS", but a good entry level shotgun, for around $200.00 should be possible...

Last edited by Bake; April 15, 2015 at 04:35 PM.
Old April 16, 2015, 04:09 AM   #6
Blindstitch

Mossberg maverick if you cant find a uses mossberg 500.
Old April 16, 2015, 09:33 AM   #7
cc-hangfire

In addition to suggestions in prior posts, if you friend is doesn't mind used, the store brand shotguns will be the least expensive. I have had several J C Higgins model 20 pump shotguns costing from $90 to $200. Most needed cleaning up but they are all steel, made by High Standard for Sears, and have worked well as utility guns. These have no collector value and therefore won't cost much. There are other store brands of good quality as well.
Old April 16, 2015, 10:31 AM   #8
skizzums

I picked up a used H&R pardner pump for 100$ a couple years ago. 100% reliable shooting nothing but heavy 00 buck and slugs, and I admit to not taking great care of it. it's a heavy gun but built like a tank. you can find them pretty much anywhere. not the prettiest, but cheap and reliable....did I mention HEAVY? this is a heavily used shotgun and maintains perfect reliability from day one, I bought from a friend who had it for a few years of heavy use as well. as long as the weihht is okay, I recommend to anyone on a budget
Old April 16, 2015, 08:20 PM   #9
TfflHndn

If you look around you may be able to find a Stevens 350 Security for about $200. I think mine was about $220 out the door at a sale. Nice home defense gun. Made by the same folks that make Savage.
Old April 16, 2015, 08:30 PM   #10
bedlamite

He may have to save a little more, but I'd pick up a used Remington 870 Express Magnum. Preferably a pre-triggerlock model.
Old April 16, 2015, 08:38 PM   #11
rightside

Almost direct ripoff of the Remington 870, but this one gets good reviews. Well built and dependable.

http://www.centerfiresystems.com/SG0009.aspx
Old April 16, 2015, 08:39 PM   #12
CWKahrFan

I have a Pardner Pump... Heavy and solid... Never had one problem with it nor have I read anything bad about their functioning or reliability. They're basically made in China if that's a consideration... just thought you ought to know before you get it home and inspect the markings. (Doesn't matter much to me but does to some...)
Old April 16, 2015, 08:59 PM   #13
Nodak1858

Another vote for the Mossberg Maverick. I bought one years ago as just a beater shotgun, but I've hunted and shot skeet with it for years. Good entry level shotgun, no frills but it works
Old April 17, 2015, 02:10 PM   #14
idek

The replies sound like the usual suspects:

used: Remington 870 or Morrberg 500

new: Pardener pump (based off of the 870) or Maverick (based off of the 500)

A person can use any length barrel, but if he really wants a designated defense gun and wants a shorter barrel, one of the NEW options may be easier to come across than a used short barrel gun.

Last edited by idek; April 17, 2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old April 17, 2015, 05:30 PM   #15
Arizona Fusilier

Yeah, I'd say we're all on the same page. Here's another vote for the Maverick, though.
Old April 18, 2015, 10:00 PM   #16
johnwilliamson062

Cutting down a shotgun barrel is pretty simple. Even doing it correctly.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...18.5+BLK+4%2B1
This is one of Buds import brands. They claim to back them pretty well and I have not heard much complaining about the service. If I was going cheap i would look at one of these hard. Considered the inertia gun buds is importing.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; April 18, 2015 at 10:08 PM.
Old April 19, 2015, 09:04 PM   #17
SARuger

Another vote for the Maverick 88. I picked up a used 20g with 4 chokes from a local gun shop for 170 out the door. It lives in my truck and is very reliable.

Note, if you are use to a good pump like an older Wingmaster or BPS, you will feel like you are holding crap in your hands, they just don't have the quality of those guns but they work.
Old April 20, 2015, 07:15 PM   #18
MANual_puller

+1 for the Maverick 88 Mine has some expensive furniture, a magazine feeding system, camo finish and it still only cost me $700...initially.... Very smooth running gun and I shot 4 deer for the group this past winter with it

I added the saddle mount, tactical sight with circle dot reticle, took 7/8" out of the stock by shortening the intermediate tube, modified the magazines to run longer 2.75" sabot slugs, 24" vented fully rifled slug barrel(not pictured), and a sling(not pictured) I'm well over a grand into mine but underneath it all is just a good old everyday economical mossberg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gun3.jpg (129.2 KB, 39 views)
Old April 22, 2015, 02:37 AM   #19
Brotherbadger

Quote:
There must be tons of used Remington 870s and Mossberg 500s around for that price.
Agreed. Used 870s in my area go for around $125-150. I'd look used for the best value.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old April 22, 2015, 09:16 AM   #20
SARuger

I'm coming to your area to buy a few 870's!!!!

The newer Express models are bringing $250 on the used market, add another $25 for a 20ga.

Mossy's are bringing $200 and 88's are around $150. I have seen Pardners in the $125 range but I'm never fast enough to snag one. And once again, if its a 20ga add more money. If its a .410 you will pay premium for it.

I don't know why our market likes the smaller gauges but they sell and sell well.
Old April 22, 2015, 10:26 AM   #21
FITASC

Smaller bore sizes are better for upland hunting; 12s shred quail and the like so there's nothing left to eat.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 22, 2015, 11:05 AM   #22
Rbrt3474

Another vote for the Maverick. If he's not real experienced, it's just easier to buy new and know you'll have a reliable firearm than get a used one with a questionable past. Especially at such a low price point.

The only complaint I have with my Maverick is the safety. It's very stiff, and in a spot on the trigger guard that just doesn't fit my hands... It's cheap enough though that I don't worry about dirt, grime, dings, etc.
Old May 9, 2015, 10:35 AM   #23
Doug S

I like the Maverick also, but in my parts I haven't seen one below $234, and the local hardware store, last I looked had the Security Model for $275. With that said, I think it's a great shotgun. It's just an economized version of the 500, made in the same production facility in Texas as are current production 500s. Modern production seems to be about identical to the 500. Mossberg claims that are made in the U.S.A., while some gun forumites repeatedly argue that it is the "Mexican Mossberg". Again, a little research would seem to indicate that if current production Mavericks are using some Mexican parts, then most likely so are current 500 models.

Having both multiple 500s and a Maverick, I notice no difference at all in the quality. The only meaningful difference IMO is the placement of the safety.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle
Old May 11, 2015, 07:34 AM   #24
g.willikers

Quote:
I got a friend who has never owned any guns, and lives in a small apartment in a rough neighborhood.
Quote:
I suggested he get a shotgun.
Glad I ain't living next to him - or above him - or below him.
Since a shotgun is not something that's going to help him away from his apartment, maybe it's not such a good idea.
Maybe a firearm is not what he needs, right now.
There's plenty of other ways he can secure his place that won't put his neighbors at risk.
Just a thought.
Old May 11, 2015, 01:08 PM   #25
Blindstitch

Quote:
There's plenty of other ways he can secure his place that won't put his neighbors at risk.
Like what?

Tags
12ga. , cheap shotgun , pump.