The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 7, 2007, 08:52 AM   #1
SundownRider

Ranging for a fight?

Yesterday, as I was playing with my father-in law's laser range finder, I began to think of how I might use it for HD purposes. I figured that if I knew ahead of time the range to various spots where an intruder or other from a SHTF scenario, I would be in a better position to more accurately place my shots, especially if the distance was beyond 100 yards. So I began going to each window, looking out to see what cover a person might use against me, and began ranging with the range finder. I discovered that the condominiums acroos the ComEd easement weren't as far away as I thought, and the garages for said condominiums were even closer. Good brick cover there. I alos found that the clump of trees down the way were a lot farther than I thought, and I woudl be shooting a lot lower than I wanted had a BD used that for cover.
I figured if I knew exactly how my HD rifles shot, and how the bullets dropped at particular ranges with particular loads, then I could make things very uncomfortable for anyone wanting to make things unconfortable for me. I also figured that if I knew the distance to a particular landmark (tree, rock, etc.) then I would be good for anything in that vicinity. I could also share this information with any rifleman who happened to be bunking down at my house.

Good idea, or do I have too much time on my hands?
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them...They make the battle. Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior... and He will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)
Old October 7, 2007, 09:13 AM   #2
HankL

Just leave range cards at each OP where you don't need to remember each set-up and you'll be gtg.
Old October 7, 2007, 03:03 PM   #3
shooter_john

I don't have a range finder, but I do have googleearth... I plotted my primary deerstand on my hunting land, and then used the ranging feature to create a range card for my stand and all of the areas that can be hunted from it. Of course, this feature can be expanded quite a bit beyond deer hunting.
Old October 7, 2007, 09:16 PM   #4
Walter

You're not doing anything...

that a well-trained infantry "rifle" unit hasn't been doing for a hundred years
when setting up a defensive position.

Identify possible approaches, note the direction and the range, and prepare
for "whatever".

I think it's a good idea for anybody with a mindset toward self-defense to do.

It's like life insurance, sorta, but it doesn't cost anything but a little time.

Walter
Old October 7, 2007, 09:34 PM   #5
BCC

What kind of HD requires shooting someone 100 yards away? Just curious.
Old October 8, 2007, 05:02 AM   #6
Hook686

Zombie attack ?

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old October 8, 2007, 06:02 AM   #7
Powderman

What kind of rifle are you using?

For almost any military rifle, you would be best served by obtaining a precise zero at 25 yards, and verifying it at 50.

Your point of aim should always be center of mass of the exposed target. Thus, if you have a whole torso shot, it would be folly to try a head shot--under most circumstances.

Simply hold center of mass. You will be able to land a lethal round by doing this alone.
Old October 8, 2007, 12:19 PM   #8
Hornett

Quote:
Zombie attack ?
Nah, for zombies, you need a shotgun for the closer ranges because they don't move very fast.
Old October 8, 2007, 01:40 PM   #9
tlm225

Assuming a properly zeroed rifle and all ranges within 250 yards I wouldn't worry about ranging. With a .308/.30-06 class round and a 200 yard zero the maximum variance from the line of sight is maybe 3". I guess it's fun to "what if" scenarios where you stand off the hordes at long range.
Old October 8, 2007, 01:53 PM   #10
Archie

Correctamundo!

Any infantry unit of any level collects range information as a matter of course in setting up a defensive position. More than just getting ranging info, one should also scout out likely avenues of approach and places of concealment, cover and potential attack. (And do something about them.)

BCC, I don't know about Sundown Rider's situation, but I'll share mine. Right now I live in "town". I plan on retiring next year to a very rural setting. It is possible to be the target of the odd motorcycle gang trying to take over a small homestead. Or I could be the local holdout against the Blue Helmets when President Clinton signs the nation over to the U. N. Maybe the Klingons will find my place first. Who knows?

At any rate, being able to defend the holding at ranges past the porch is a significant theoretical advantage at least. Most likely, it's simply an intellectual excercise in planning. Frankly, I think this man's thinking.

Be Prepared; it's not just for Boy Scouts anymore!

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old October 8, 2007, 08:04 PM   #11
Hardtarget

I've looked at the range from my home to the farthest visable cover. There is no reason any BG would want to start shooting at me. I just think I would like to know how to respond should the need arise because I don't plan to hide in the basement.

Mark.
Old October 8, 2007, 10:09 PM   #12
SundownRider

The exercise was one of a lot of "What if's" The world is changing awfully fast, and I don't plan on defending my homestead from a close quarters standpoint if I can help it.
I live in a decent town, but anyone with half a brain can see the winds of change starting to blow. How itwill pan out in 20 years is anyone's guess, but I refuse to go quietly into that dark night.
Being mentally ready for a fight is half the battle, and if I take the precaution of knowing how far an adversary is gives me an advantage when an inch might mean the difference between an injured foe and a dead one.
M1 Carbine, by the way.
" Of every One-Hundred men, Ten shouldn't even be there, Eighty are nothing but targets, Nine are real fighters... We are lucky to have them...They make the battle. Ah, but the One, One of them is a Warrior... and He will bring the others back."
- Heraclitus (circa 500 BC)